How & where do you dry your herbs. Here our unused guest room doubles as drying room.

Vicky M.
Vicky M. Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

May's third Nettle & Cleaver harvest dried & cut ready for storage. Just starting to harvest Red clover & Cornflower.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Like yours @Vicky Morris my drying area is in a spare bedroom along with all my other medicinal preparations and ingredients. I have a lovely drying rack that a friend made for me. 2' x 4' with 6 mesh trays. So it is about 4' high. Even with that amount of space, I find myself using a variety of other trays and hangers to dry all my harvest. Stinging nettles are on two trays right now. Cleavers look almost ready for picking as do the violet leaves. But today is a gorgeous sunny day so it will be an Arnica picking day for me.

• Vicky M.

Sounds wonderful! I hope you will share pictures with us of your drying method & racks and please also of your wildcrafting adventure today. 😍Our elevation in Norman OK is 1100 so I am trying to grow meadow Arnica grown from Strictly Medicinal seeds. The plants are still small yet and have not bloomed.

• alindsay22
    alindsay22 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Love the pictures! Putting them in the car for the last dry off sounds like a fab idea. Then I don't need the silica pouch.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

@torey that is an awesome drying rack! Not sure where I would put something like that but I'd find a place lol. I have a dehydrator which seems to run most of the Spring-Fall. If it's long stems I do small bunches tied with string and hung from a clothes hanger, that works well also. If I could find a way to keep dust off of it our detached garage would be great. Maybe in my car in there? The garage is not insulated and gets really hot - maybe I could cook in there lol. I guess I could rig some cotton material to hang over whatever rack I devise for that purpose then it can just get thrown in the wash periodically. Do you'all think that would work? It's pretty humid here but not the mold growing kind of humid...maybe it's just too hot.

• Torey

@seeker.nancy I think your idea of a cotton sheet of some kind would work well to keep the dust off. If you think it is too humid, maybe a small fan would help to keep the air circulating.

I also have a dehydrator and use it for juicier things. I dry elderberries on it whenever I am fortunate enough to get some fresh. Its just a cheap model and doesn't have a temperature setting on it. Its just on or off. So for anyone out there who is considering the purchase of a dehydrator, make sure you can control the temperature. Mine is just too hot for some things and I have to watch it very carefully or I will get a cooked product instead of dried.

• Vicky M.
    edited May 2020

Torey, that is a geeeegorgeous drying rack. What a blessing to have! Thanks for sharing that just might have to be our next build project.

Oh, btw, I love your antique coffee grinder too!

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

I have a 3 "shelf" wood and mesh dryer, the herbs start out their drying journey in the garage, then get moved onto a towel and if necessary into the hot water cupboard to finish off.

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@torey love this! It feels so overwhelming getting everything planted and my thoughts have already circled around how to dry so many of the herbs I planted this year. That is beautiful AND useful.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a weird walk-in closet/attic which I will be setting up racks and screen to dry my stuff (first I have to get rid of some of the junk) 😀

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I love everyone’s drying ideas and racks. I am a re-purpose type of gal so I kept and old metal foldable drying rack, made for hanging clothes on. I will be using it to dry my moringa on. Smaller things are done in my dehydrator or laid in any number of places on various materials to dry ie: on towels on picking table, on paper towels, paper plates, or in shallow dishes on kitchen counter or desk in my craft room. I am thinking of building the screen trays as well.

• Torey

@gardneto76 Excellent re-purposing of a clothes drying rack! You could build screen trays that fit across the rods to make shelves.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

@torey thats what I was thinking, and I could do smaller things on them inside out of our dust storms here. I hate leaving things outside long because of so much dust. Did you build your tray system? Wondering how you tacked the screen on?

• Torey

@gardneto76 No, I didn't build it, a friend did. The screen was attached with small staples and then a piece of wood trim to cover the stapled edge.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

I have a timber frame 6x3' with square wire mesh attached on one side, each square about 1/2". It was originally used as a sieve for soil and compost but after a while I thought I could live with bark, wood and sticks in my garden beds, great aeration and help with good bacteria production. So I've re-purposed it into my drying rack, keep it in one of my sheds, basically in the dark, dust free. Just dried out comfrey leaves and now have tarragon on the dryer. Very happy.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

Like @gardneto76 I use an old clothes drying racks but mine are wooden.like @torey suvgested, My hubby made me screens that do fit across the bars if I want to use them that way but I usually have both racks filled AND the trays, sometimes I can do both depending on how much air flow I need per crop I’m drying. I keep mine in the library right now, but we are building a large canning storage room under our deck and it will be free if humidity so the racks will get moved there when it’s done. I also use my dehydrator a lot as I live in a humid cool area near the ocean in Oregon. Some crops just mold if I try drying naturally, oregano is one of those herbs.

• Vicky M.

A large canning & herb storage room would be a dream come true. Hope you will document the build and how you are using the space so you can share with us.

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

I asked my family for Christmas to get me a hanging herb drying rack. It has I think six mesh levels to allow air to circulate all the way around. Can’t wait to use it this year.

• tammyrichardsmt9
    tammyrichardsmt9 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

I use my cooling racks and towels. I usually set them wherever I can find room at the time. I also hang them on a baker's rack we were given (the kind with lots of trays that slide in - like at bakeries). I just tie them along the outside of it.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

torey

I really love your drying rack. We are off grid, so can't usually use electric dehydrators as they really guzzle power. Sometimes when I'm desperate, I trade with a neighbour who has one and she dries my stuff, but it's not the same as watching it yourself, getting it to the perfect dryness.

I've used our vehicles with the fruit on screens and the window cracked a bit. I also have a great open floor area above the kitchen where warm kitchen air comes up and I can put my wicker baskets and screens. And, someone gave us one of those collapsible nylon mesh drying racks which is awesome for flowers and herbs. It hangs on the clothes line that we have installed across the second floor above the living room (open concept house).

• shaley1357
    shaley1357 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

Wow! Lots of Nice setups here. Too Hamid here in coastal NC for outdoor drying. We usle a dehydrator, crash by hand and vacuum seal in Mason jars.

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

I use screen covered bakers' rack shelves. There is, however, another method that I like. I put cut herbals into a paper bag. If the herbals are not packed tightly, the paper seems to draw out all of the moisture.

• Torey

@Nancy A.Maurelli A friend of mine just got a new stove with all the bells and whistles. It has a dehydrating feature on it. So don't be afraid of new things. But sometimes I wish my oven had a pilot light. I have a propane stove but it is a newer model that has pilot-less ignition. The burners can be lit with a match if the power goes out but not the oven. However, I am lucky enought to have a wood cook stove in my kitchen as well. So not really a big deal if the power goes out.

• Grounded
    Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

I really like that collapsible drying rack bought on Amazon. The fact that it is readily portable and collapsible when not in use, is really appealing. Is there a downside to this type of system?