Welcome to the TGN Forums!

Comments

• annebeloncik
    annebeloncik Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

Hi new friends!

I'm Anne, I grew up in Oklahoma City and now live in north Georgia, about 45 minutes north of Atlanta, with my husband and our daughter. We have 6 chickens, 2 ankle-biter dogs and a very chubby cat. I am a total noob gardener...this is about my fourth year of having more than basil and rosemary in a pot! I have been using essential oils and herbal medicines for several years, and have added a few medicinal herbs to my garden this year. I love learning from other gardeners, and my goal is to buy as little produce at the grocery store as possible! I'm glad to have another place to talk to friends who share my love for growing things!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited June 2020

Welcome! There is a homeschooling group here, so you are among friends.

• judsoncarroll4

Welcome! There are a lot of herb growers and users here. I'm sure you'll fit right in.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Hi @Denisha Cole! Another homeschool mom...awesome. There are a few of us here. Homeschooling & diving into DIY self sustainability just kind of goes together...

I think you will really enjoy learning here. There is such a wealth of knowledge. Make sure you get your kids involved. It will give them such a great skillset & knowledge base.

• judsoncarroll4

Welcome! We have a few folks who live in GA here... and I went to UGA (lived in Commerce and Athens).

• LaurieLovesLearning

@stephanie447 Wow! Those are great teachers you have had. K.P. Khalsa would be one of the first herbalists that I would love to study under.

Please feel free to share your knowledge with us. You will find lots of like minded herbalists here. I am looking forward to your contributions in our ever growing TGN family.

@annebeloncik Welcome! You have landed in the perfect place to learn more. It is a friendly & happenin' place.

• ieducate2008
    ieducate2008 Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone!

I'm very happy to be part of this network. Today is my first day and I'm a little nervous about what to post. I live in Gervais, Oregon. It's a small farming community 40 miles south of Portland OR and 14 miles north of Salem OR. I enjoy gardening, chickens, and DIY projects. I want to learn more. Right now, I have 11 raised beds and I want to make more. I'm interested in four season gardening so that I can have fresh food all year long.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@ieducate2008 Don't be nervous about posting. Find something in an existing thread that interests you and go from there or alternatively, post a question.

We are a friendly group that welcomes people at whatever stage they are at. Even the most learned can learn new things from a newbie. You might be an expert in something we have never heard of!

Jump right in. We're glad to have you!

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

Hello everybody!

I live in Austria in Tirol 800 m above sea level. I am a herbalist and my main interest is healing herbs. I make my own herbal remedies and am very much interested in the experience of others. I am running herbal Workshops and herbal excursions. My husband and me try to live healthy and we grow our own vegetables and fruit. This year I started bee keeping just with two bee hives. I would be interested to learn more about bee products for health. I am very much concerned about preserving nature and am very much interested in all kinds of possibilities to use natural, nature friendly products for washing, cleaning... I already accumulated some experience and am open to new ideas.

i am looking forward to fruitful discussions 😊

• LaurieLovesLearning

@jolanta.wittib Austria! So wonderful.

It sounds like you have a wealth of knowledge that will be great to drawn on. You will find a lot of folks that are of the same cloth here. You will fit into the TGN community beautifully!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@kfoto Welcome here!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

So many new names that I will just say welcome to everyone so as not to miss anyone! This is a great, supportive and very varied community. I'm sure everyone will find answers to their questions and have lots of good input for the rest of us to learn from.

• judsoncarroll4

Welcome! My raw foods experience, beyond salads, is mainly foraging... looking forward to your recipes!

• judsoncarroll4

Welcome - it sounds like you'll have A LOT to share.. looking forward to it! I had a girlfriend some time back named Eleutheria (Greek for the personification of liberty). I think such names are wonderful!

• judsoncarroll4

Welcome! I grew up with some families who immigrated from Austria. What a wonderful culture and cuisine!

• Amrik
    Amrik Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone, I am from Danbury Connecticut. I am a Pharmacist by profession, currently retired, My speciality is plant medicine. Always open to learning more about herbal medicine, I will try and answer as many questions about herb as much I can. thanks

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited June 2020

@tilellli Is that your garden? It's so beautiful!

Your interests sound like such a great fit here. I hope you enjoy learning along with us.

@Amrik It is good to have you here! Welcome!

• judsoncarroll4

Welcome! I worked in a drug store through college, and generally found pharmacists to be among the most intelligent, eccentric and knowledgeable people I've ever encountered.

• JessR
    JessR Posts: 5

Hi y'all! I'm happy to be here! I'm from Southern Illinois. My husband and I have 3 young children and are in the process of buying 10 beautiful acres to get our homestead really going the way we want to. This year we expanded our garden and finally got chickens. We've got big plans for the new homestead including goats, honey bees, and fruit and nut trees. We currently help my parents raise beef cattle on their farm. I am a nurse by trade so natural remedies and first aid always interest me and I am better with livestock while my husband's forte is the garden. We are trying to become as self-sufficient as we can while producing healthy, wholesome food that either we produced ourselves, or we know where it came from. I am excited to be a part of this wonderful information exchange.

• judsoncarroll4

Welcome! The Grow Network should be offering an online course in bee keeping soon... looking forward to it!

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Hi all! I’m originally from Seattle but move to very rural NE Washington after getting married a 5 years ago. I have two little girls (4 and nearly 2). We live on 32 acres and I just purchased the adjacent 20 so now we have a decent bit of field space in addition to all the wooded areas. This is the first year I’ve done much in the garden, had been too busy with babies up until now. I want to work to being able to provide most of our own food. It is 40 miles to town, but we are surrounded by an abundance of natural resources. I look forward to learning more ways to take advantage of the land and resources we have and shifting towards a more of a homesteading lifestyle.

Currently I have chickens and a veggie garden. I do a little bit of foraging for berries, morels, medicinal and edible plants. I done a little bit with medicinal plants and essential oils. One of my bigger challenges is wildlife and predators. There is an abundance of cougars, coyotes, bobcats and bears and now wolves are becoming an issue too. I’ve had several close encounters with local cougars (that I know of) and it is challenging to get much done outside while keeping the children closely supervised.

• Helen South Australia
    Helen South Australia Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Hi! I am Helen and I live in the Adelaide Hills, South Australia. I have grown a lot of my produce most of my life, but now live on a small suburban house block in a town in the Adelaide Hills. I don't have space for animals, but am growing my own produce.

The place I moved into, 12 months ago, did not have any produce garden on site, so we set up 12 x 30cm high beds and got started. We have picked a lot of produce and have already had weeks where we don't need to buy any vegetables from the market / shops.

I am keen to be as self-sufficient as possible, and look forward to sharing the journey with you.

• GardenMama
    GardenMama Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Hi there!

I'm in Illinois, zone 5b. I'm an herbalist, avid food gardener and future homesteader. I spend a lot of time getting to know plants and making medicines from them. I'm also a homeschool mom who makes sure to get all these skills in to the lessons.

I believe in traditional skills. The kind that our grandparents had without thinking about but our kids severely lack. I feel those skills are so so important to preserve

• judsoncarroll4

Welcome! We have a lot of folks from your area of the world... even an admin!

• judsoncarroll4

Welcome... you'll find many folks with similar interests here.

This discussion has been closed.