Anyone else having issues with internet speed?

Comments

• RobinMacKillop
    RobinMacKillop Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

Modern technology is not my strong suit but I have been seeing many articles on the internet about internet providers intentionally slowing down service to prevent crashes and cell phone services being particularly vulnerable to certain types of hacking. The FBI is currently warning about cell phone banking transactions especially. I did hear about network wide hacking also. So I can't offer any solutions but only the reassurance that you're not alone with slow service (it's been particularly bad during certain hours here) and that you are definitely Not imaging it.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

Welcome to TGN @RobinMacKillop

I have also heard the same thing about internet companies slowing down the speed to prevent crashes because of all the additional use since the beginnings of our current situation.

I would imagine that due to boredom, this has increased the number of hackers out there. Slowing down their activity is a good idea.

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Since the coronavirus lockdowns, the Internet load has been a lot higher so in general it has been slower or more prone to congestion. Now, what really happened yesterday with the massive cellphone outages...that's another story.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

I knew something was wrong because my speed was and still is significantly slower than ever..

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

I believe ours has been slower for maybe 6 months already - AT&T

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Ours has been slowing down even more lately, it is never great though. Satellite internet, it is our only option.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, yesterday Tmobile was down for most of the day. No one in my family had service - text, voice, or data. Luckily, we were able to get on wifi and text our kids over What's App to let them know what was going on. One of my daughters even stopped at a McDonald's to get on their wifi in the parking lot b/c her phone wasn't working and we were able to let her know what was going on.

We've come to depend on our cell phones probably a bit too much. My oldest was going back to work and her apartment which is an hour and a half from us. She always lets us know when she gets there so we know she's safe. But with no service she couldn't let us know anything until she made it to work and was able to get on their wifi.

Thankfully we still have our landline phone b/c my in laws - especially my father in law - was starting to freak out b/c he hadn't heard from either grand child that day. He likes to hear their voices and know they're home safely. I was able to call them on our landline and let him know they were both fine.