On Root Canals and Water Pics

ClaudeAlbert
ClaudeAlbert Posts: 2
edited November 2020 in General Health

Hello, I am new here and just watched the video on Natural home based Dentistry. I have a root canal with a crown on it and a cavity underneath it. If I extract it and get rid of everything will that harm the surrounding teeth as I will be living with a decent sized gap. It is one of my molars. I can not afford a ceramic implant but I want to get rid of the root canal.

Also I have adrenal fatigue and I am wondering if it might be related to the root canal?

What about water picks as additional to the recommendations in the video. Are water pics OK because I like that it gently removes food particles quickly after eating.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

God Bless,

Claude

Comments

• Sheila
    Sheila Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Assuming your teeth are firmly planted in your jaw - there should be no issues. I have had a gap for going on 20+years after a botched root canal cracked the tooth and led to continuous infection and there have been no issues. The biggest one was toughening up the gum so I could eat on that side was a slow process but now anything from carrots to steak is fair game.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@ClaudeAlbert Welcome to TGN's forum.

I have a holistic dentist and he recommends the use of a water pik.

I had a root canal that bothered me from the time I got it to several years later when I had it removed. I am told that part of the filler that is used in the root canal is latex. I feel this was leaching into my body (partly because the root canal was not done properly) and I have a latex allergy. The dentist that did the root canal never asked me about a latex allergy nor did he inform me about the use of latex. My current dentist will do root canals in some cases but will do everything else possible to avoid that. I wound up having the whole thing extracted. So much better off now even with the gap in my teeth. But that is just my experience.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I agree. The gap isn't as bad as it sounds. Mine is a molar too.

• ClaudeAlbert
    ClaudeAlbert Posts: 2

Thank you all!! I am encouraged to have the extraction! 😊

• AndyGaworecki
    AndyGaworecki Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

I agree. I had a tooth removed (molar) rather than have a root canal and the worst part was the sensitive gum for the next few months.

• AndyGaworecki
    AndyGaworecki Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

I am now struggling with receding gums which are leaving my teeth exposed to more cavities. I am not sure what to do about this problem. Anyone have any ideas?

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

@AndyGawerecki

Gums receding is caused by plaque bacteria irritating your gum line on your teeth. This causes inflammation and the gum to try and get away from the bacteria. The bacteria then colonize the newly exposed area on your teeth and the whole process starts again. A water pik would help to keep food off of your gum line and possibly the bacteria as well since there would not be a readily available food source for the bacteria.

I would also like to note that I am not a dentist.

I hope this helps and good luck!

• Torey

@AndyGaworecki Welcome to the forum!

There is another thread on natural dental care at: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/842018/%F0%9F%A6%B7-natural-dental-care-%F0%9F%A6%B7

You might find some answers there.

If you go to the blog page and type in teeth in the search bar you will find a couple of articles there.

Horsetail is one of the herbs most recommended for tooth care. TGN sells a tooth powder in the store. https://store.thegrownetwork.com/collections/herbs

Myrrh, cinnamon and licorice are herbs for mouth health. Myrrh is very antibacterial and can be used as a tincture to treat tooth infections. Cinnamon is good for gum health. Rosalee de la Foret has a good recipe for tooth powder using these herbs at: https://learningherbs.com/remedies-recipes/homemade-tooth-powder/

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

This is very interesting that having a gap hasn't caused people problems. I assume that this means your teeth don't all match up (every top tooth doesn't match with a tooth on the bottom).

I am curious because my daughter actually has room for her wisdom teeth, but she only has the two on top. The dentist says that she should get them removed because without corresponding lower teeth, everything in her mouth will begin to shift. It seems to me that if we remove two teeth that she has room for, her teeth are likely to shift more. It also seems like a bad idea to have the stress of surgery, anesthesia and antibiotics just "in case". At 24, my daughter has only ever had one course of antibiotics and it would be nice to keep it that way. I've seen too many people with health problems caused by a wrecked microbiome.

• Torey

@Gail H I would get a second opinion, especially if you can find a holistic dentist. They are few and far between but it is worth the effort to find one. I have to drive over 200 miles to see mine but he is so worth it for the pain and aggravation he has helped me avoid.