Self- Made Dishcloths

jowitt.europe
jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

Self-Made Dishcloths

Knitting and crocheting is a real pleasure, it is relaxing and meditative, a good therapy against worries over Coronavirus. A good occupation if you are in self isolation. If you like knitting or crocheting, I am sure your house is full of little balls of wool - leftovers from previous projects, no knitter likes throwing them away! A good way of using them up is knitting or crocheting something small and useful and environmentally friendly and long lasting...

Until recently I have been using disposable dishcloths. When I think back... it is really frightening as I have thrown away so many. Awful! Not any more. I have a good reserve of cotton threads. I prefer using cotton, as you can wash cotton dishcloths at high temperatures. 

It all started when I got a few nicely crocheted ones from my friend. At the very beginning I thought it was a shame to use them for dishwashing or wiping surfaces. Now I cannot imagine using a disposable one. Sometimes I see that my guests are confused. They are reluctant to use a nicely knitted cloth for dishwashing. I really have to encourage them to do so. 

You do need a lot. I change them frequently and wash them at high temperatures. 

I soak them in baking powder (bicarbonate of soda) before washing. 

So, when the weather is bad, get out your knitting needles and leftover balls of wool or cotton. While listening to good music or an audio book you can make quite a few for yourself and some as little gifts to friend and family. 

It is another little step towards an environmentally friendly household. 

Enjoy knitting and crocheting 

Jolanta

Comments