What are you cooking up for father's day?

Voodoo Flóra
Voodoo Flóra Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Cooking

Today I'm making homemade rhubarb pie. First time I tasted some was as a youth in Germany when a family friend, a hausfrau made some she tells me proudly--with rhubarb straight from her garden. Something in me immediately loved this, most of all the pie was super yummy. Although, back then I thought I in no way wanted to be a hausfrau...Well, how times change and today my life is focused on keeping my current hausfrau position appropriately funded. I asked my man do you want me to make you rhubarb pie for father's day and he looks at me all noncommittal. Maybe? Appears he's never had a good rhubarb experience. Well, I'm here to change all that. And at the very least I mean look at my planter bed--talk about the rhubarb envy!!! If it turns out I'll share the recipe? What all else have you made today, are you making?

Comments

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

LOVE rhubarb :) Planning on making some rhubarb bbq sauce soon once my plants recover from the most recent picking :) Kids made homemade brownies for fathers day (husband has a weakness for anything chocolate!), and we are planning on making quiche (with eggs from our chickens and kale from the garden), a salad with lettuce we grew, and homemade french bread to go with the duck rillettes my husband made for the first time a few days ago! A bit decedent, but I can't wait for dinner lol!

• Nancy A.Maurelli
    Nancy A.Maurelli Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

LOCAL frittata made with organic potatoes, onions, pastured pork sausage, pastured chicken eggs. Big green salad with local lettuce, sundried tomatoes, fennel. Locally baked sprouted sourdough wheat bread. Fruit tart from local bakery. WONDERFUL celebration of Father's Day. No rhubarb in the tart....

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

We didn't have anything from my garden. My husband wanted burgers. So we had those with some really good buns from Publix, organic yellow potatoes steamed in my Instant Pot, and a huge fruit salad. My oldest daughter made him a cake filled with Junior Mints which he loves but doesn't get often anymore. We had a good time together!

• AngelaOston
    AngelaOston Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Paleo pancakes with my sons sourdough culture added. - also walnuts and dates chopped Into the batter. Topped with cooked blueberries dark cherries simmered in a little homemade kombucha

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

@aprilbbrinkman I canned Strawberry/Rhubarb pie! And cherry pie filling too. Then I canned Black Forest preserves. But for Father’s Day specifically I BBQ steaks and potatoes with a side of fresh peas. Then I made my first cherry pie for the guy who loves cherry pie!!

@chimboodle04 rhubarb bbq sounds Delish!

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

@herbantherapy heres the recipe I plan to use in case you want to try too :) Haven't done it yet but hoping its good enough to become a staple!

https://commonsensehome.com/rhubarb-sauce-for-canning/

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

Cherry wood smoked bison roast that had been marinaded overnight in rosemary mustard marinade. Everything organic-even the cherry wood from a pruning of the wild cherry tree in our yard

• Voodoo Flóra
    edited June 2020

OMG @chimboodle04 thank you at so many levels. Now I know where to put that kale I tried to make into chips this afternoon, but it didn't quite turn out as chips. Putting them into a quiche tomorrow. Perfect. @herbantherapy LOVE your kitchen and pie.

• Voodoo Flóra
    edited June 2020

@tomandcara we are vegetarian, but today I was just thinking that this kale pasta salad I made from some of the homemade kale chips that didn't quite turn out would really be complimented by a braised, meaty mushroom marinated for a long while in a tangy kind of teriyaki vinaigrette. I think I will try a homemade rosemary mustard marinade instead and want to add also something to it to make it slightly sweet probably honey. Smoking the mushrooms on a grill sounds even better...

• Voodoo Flóra

@chimboodle04 @herbantherapy I am going to write my recipe out and share it as the pie went immediately and seriously everyone loved it. I was surprised at how easy it is to cook down the rhubarb and make it into a pie filling. Also even though it is so strong and tangy flavored it does not take much sugar to sweeten it right up. I used a cobbler type topping and added a little cinnamon. Just that butter, flour, the rhubarb and a little sugar. It was seriously delicious

• Voodoo Flóra

@AngelaOston my man is low carb and I tell him sourdough is some of the best he can eat as the way it works to metabolize sugars and fats, at least this is what I experienced. Next time I'm putting fresh raspberries from the garden on the pancakes great idea.

• Voodoo Flóra

@kbmbillups1 yes anything especially that is a tuber please be organic goodness gracious knows.

• Voodoo Flóra

@Nancy A.Maurelli who do you have on staff LOL

• tomandcara

@aprilbbrinkman Mushrooms sound delicious. Is your man also vegetarian?

• Voodoo Flóra

@tomandcara yes he is and yes I'm going to come up with a good mushroom shish kabob recipe this summer I'll post about it when it proves delicious enough. Have a good weekend!

• tomandcara
    edited June 2020

@aprilbbrinkman Sounds great, please tag me when you post the recipe. There are too many posts for me to read them all and I do check the little bell at the top right of the forum page to see if I have been tagged in a conversation

• Voodoo Flóra

@tomandcara I am trying it out this weekend and will let you know happy fourth.

• tomandcara
    edited July 2020

Thank you @aprilbbrinkman. This is also our wedding anniversary weekend. 33 years of learning and growing together as husband and wife. I am so blessed to have my perfect spouse.

• Voodoo Flóra

@tomandcara congratulations that is quite an accomplishment!

• tomandcara
    edited July 2020

Thank you @aprilbbrinkman. Not only have we been married 33 years today, we have been working together in my chiropractic office for 34 years. It is a wonderful blessing to have found and married someone who loves me so much. And I love her more than words can express.

She jokes saying she wants double credit for working with me and being married to me. I tell her we can't do that, but we can add the 2 together, making today our 67th "anniversary anniversary" That is more anniversaries than she is old by a number of years. June was my 67th birthday, so we have spent more than half of our live together in so many ways. As I said, what a blessing!

• Voodoo Flóra

@tomandcara yes I've been with my man going on eight years now and I think the more you share goals and work projects, this only fosters the relationship and makes the love bond even stronger. Hope you are having a fantastic time this weekend with your family. A good family man is the best there is.

• tomandcara

@aprilbbrinkman Thank you and eight years is a wonderful start to a long and healthy marriage