Resources for plants

VickiP
VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Here are a couple of suppliers for ethically propagated and grown endangered plants. If you know of some list them in the comments, I think this could be a great resource.  

https://www.crimson-sage.com/store/endangered-at-risk-herbs  Nice selection of endangered herbs at a good price.  I have not ordered from them but will mention them in an update when I do.

https://www.plantdelights.com/collections/rare-endangered-plants 

Comments

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VickiP Congrats! For being one of the three winning posts for the two new topics.

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

These are great resources! Good prices, too. Thank you!

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

@Obiora E How are all those plants doing?

• tla.cls.mt
    tla.cls.mt Posts: 19 ✭✭✭

Excellent topic. You can also see if your state has a plant organization. They are often great resources. I’m an active member of the Indiana Native Plant Society. We frequently have plant sales & offer programs to encourage others to plant native plants.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Oh my! @VickiP I spent so much time on these sites.... I love plants so MUCH and get way too over enthused about what I can realistically grow.

Wow, thanks for posting these...

• VickiP

@SparrowRose good idea. My state dept of conservation (Missouri) offers native trees and shrubs for sale at a great value! I ordered some Elderberry starts from them last fall that they will ship out in a month or so. This is a good way to protect native species and improve your land at the same time.

• Obiora E
    Obiora E Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

@figsagee The seeds for Goldenseal, American Ginseng, and Black Cohosh take 2 or more years to grow so I will not know how they fare anytime soon. I do plan to purchase more American Ginseng and Goldenseal this year so as to do succession planting with them. I will probably get more Black Cohosh next year or the year after. I will probably do the succession until 2030 and also in different places.

I will check on the Mayapple and Wild Yam when I return to the farm this weekend. The Butterfly (Milk)weed and Purple Coneflower are looking good and spreading. I hope to see more of them this year and will continue to help them to flourish and spread!

• Suburban Pioneer
    Suburban Pioneer Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

Strictly Medicinals also has a terrific array of native and exotic organic medicinal plants and seeds, all farm-grown.

• Suburban Pioneer

I have chosen the Tennessee Coneflower as an endangered medicinal plant to adopt, and have planted two small colonies on our property. I will expand them further with new plantings for the next several years. Does anyone else "adopt" at-risk or endangered plants? I think that if everybody chose at least one plant to nurture and be responsible for, together we could make a massive difference in protecting all of the currently at risk species in perpetuity.

• VickiP

That is a really good idea! I love that way of thinking about it, a personal relationship with the plants. I know I was looking at some from my area and looking for ethical suppliers. I just want to make sure I have the right conditions for it. I have been considering this one: https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/western-prairie-fringed-orchid

• Suburban Pioneer

If you find something you like, you may be able to get it online from places like Prairie Moon Nursery, or a local supplier that grows plants for local restoration efforts. Oikos Tree Crops also carries a really, really interesting inventory of useful native plants that they raise in their forest nursery. Some are their own selections bred by them from wild stock over the years to withstand tough conditions. They often have natives, generally from the Northern Michigan area, that are sold nowhere else, and they are a totally ethical company.

Try Strictly Medicinals, as well. They have a VERY broad selection of medicinal plants, some of which need serious help, and some edibles as well. SM is ALL ABOUT ethics, and helping to keep species thriving even as the pressures mount in their native homes.

• VickiP

@Suburban Pioneer Thanks for the sources! I visited them and was impressed. I'll go ahead and link them here for others to check out.

https://www.prairiemoon.com/

https://oikostreecrops.com/about/

https://strictlymedicinalseeds.com/

• Suburban Pioneer

Thanks! The more people who know about these businesses, the more they'll order, and the more we order, the more likely these places will survive as the social and economic situation declines. The varieties they sell might be unusual now, but with enough interest, their stock (which is often superior in various ways to the stuff sold at the big commercials) will become much more widespread. My fantasy is that the hybrids and fussy cultivars sold for the ornamental trade, or sold to the masses who don't have much knowledge of concern about the pedigrees of their edibles, will decline when the SHTF, and the really good stuff, being grown by all of us, will take over (he, he!)

• VickiP

@Suburban Pioneer Especially if the focus is on plants that are native. Not that everything I plant and grow is native but I do try to give them priority.

• Suburban Pioneer

Absolutely! Integrating natives into the edible garden is a very underutilized area of research and practice, I think. There's very little in the way of edible natives that grow in my area, and just a few medicinals, but there are a number of varieties of standard garden plants that have been developed relatively locally and I'm trying several of them. I also have wild natives scattered throughout our landscape. Some serve to fix nitrogen, others feed native birds or insects. One I'm trying for suppression of nasty cheat grass that blows in. All are pretty and useful in some way.

• VickiP

Our area has quite a few native berries and wild fruits. Also a number of native medicinals. I have foraged and harvested them wild but haven't really gardened them extensively beyond just not mowing them down and if they are in or around the yard they get watered and weeded. I have transplanted some pretties, some are also useful like Wild Ginger, Bloodroot, Solomon's Seal, Echinacea etc. I would like to branch out to include native raspberries, huckleberries and currents. I did plant some Elderberries last fall, they have done really well. It has been an adventure.