Stock Tank Swimming Pool

naomi.kohlmeier
naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in DIY Tutorials

When I was a kid, 40+ years ago, we lived in town. The nearest public pool was at least a 20 minute drive so my dad brought home a large stock tank, put it in the back yard and filled it with water. My brothers and I had so much fun in our own back yard swimming pool! I think my dad was way ahead of his time!

I live in a city now and am thinking about putting a stock tank in my back yard to cool off in on those hot summer days. The grandkids would sure love it, too.

What have you all done for unconventional backyard pools?

Comments

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the memories! We used to do that too. As far as unconventional backyard pools, I have a water garden and found out that in Europe it is not uncommon to build those so you can have a swimming area in them. I think that would be phenomenal. If I ever redo mine it will include a swim area.

• naomi.kohlmeier

That sounds great! I wish we had room for a water garden feature in our yard, but we have filled in most of the available space with garden, chickens and fruit trees. What's left is where the electric lines are buried, so we can't dig there.

• cattleuponahill
    cattleuponahill Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

Our stock tank has been such a great buy. It has been a duck/goose pond, watering tank for cattle, and a swimming pool for my kids when they were younger. I found it on Craigslist for $60. It is tough and durable. I stand it on edge and move it to wherever I need it. Best buy ever!

• naomi.kohlmeier

@cattleuponahill Oh my goodness! I love how you multipurpose the stock tank! When my daughter was young she was happy "swimming" in a large oval washtub that I found at auction for $5. It was probably someone's bathtub!

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

Garbage bags work swell for a hose to be laid upon them to create a slip.n.slide

Or, line a wash basin with a garbage bag for a kiddy pool.

• naomi.kohlmeier

@teachercaryn great ideas!

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Our friend made a hot tun in the mountains with a stock tank. A smaller one, perfect for two people. He "jerryrigged" a propane hot water heater, ran water from the mountain stream, and voilà we had a hot tub at 11,00 feet!

• naomi.kohlmeier

I love people's creativity when they want to cool off or heat up :)

• sallyhoward
    sallyhoward Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

These are great ideas. I still "accidentally" walk under the sprinkler to cool off in the summertime.