Has anyone made bone meal?

Gail H
Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

I am making a big pot of beef bone broth right now and I would like to try to make bone meal with the leftover bones. I have looked in old books and on the internet for years, but I've only found one reference. A reprint of an old book said that burying bones in ashes would turn them to bone meal. I have left them buried for well over a year and as far as I can tell, they are unchanged. Any ideas?

Tagged:

Comments

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

No, sorry. I have nothing.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am wondering if it is necessary to cook bones to the soft state and then grind them? Dry them afterwards.

• csinclair461
    csinclair461 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

I have smashed soft cooked bones and froze them. Then later mixed that in to soil. I have read from a vet that is a way to make bone meal for dogs. I imagine if you have double cooked it with vinegar there will be a lot less nutrition left for soil.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

I run the bones from the bone broth through my chipper/shredder, mixed in the other things I run through the shredder.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gail H Here are some I found. you'll have to judge as I have never endeavored this:

The last one 'tree hugger' link has 2 links I noticed in the body of the article,and lots of comments below the article regarding making the bone meal.

I hope you find something helpful here.

• Melinda
    Melinda Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

Great info here. I purchase bones for soup for the dogs and for broth. I don’t feed the dogs cooked bones, so this is a great idea for doing something with the leftover bones. #useEverything

• erikawinterton
    erikawinterton Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I have made bone broth by boiling bones for several days on a very low temp. They almost liquefy. I imagine you could dehydrate them at that point. Officially... this isn't bone meal, just an idea..

• AngelaOston
    AngelaOston Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

My pit bull buried some of her raw beef knuckle bones in my worm compost bin, without me realizing it. When I was collecting the worm compost at the bottom of the bin - I found the bones. They had probably been in there about 6 months.

They were brittle enough that they crushed in my fingers. They seemed to be the perfect bone meal. So put the crushed bones around the roots of my tomatoes and such.

Now Im starting to bury the ones she’s done with and leaves around the house for her. Hoping I get another harvest of bone meal this winter. 😎🐕🐶

• Ethereal Earth
    Ethereal Earth Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

I have read that you can boil bones, or cook them rather in a slow cooker for many hours until they are soft and then blend them down in a food processor. Could always add in blood meal to the mix if you need to incorporate some of that as well.