Advice on pinched nerve (probably)?

judsoncarroll4
judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
edited November 2020 in General Health

I've had a really bad knot in my neck recently. I was massaging it last night, when suddenly my shoulder, bicep, forearm, thumb and pointer finger went numb in my right arm. My arm is weak and isn't moving properly. I'm in alignment, so it isn't a chiropractic issue - just muscles. I'm not entirely sure it is a pinched nerve, because there isn't a lot of pain, just numbness and weakness... like my arm is asleep. Has anyone experienced this and if so, do you have any advice? My neck is too inflamed for massage to help.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@judsoncarroll4 I will PM you.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 You can be in alignment and still have a nerve with pressure on it somewhere, simply from the inflammation that comes with what ever you might have done to set it off. Could even be a bursitis of the shoulder.

I posted on this before with a vid and I'll have to look for it now and will post it again. Shows you how to get pressure off that area.

If it is recent, ice it with something like a single layer cloth between the ice and your skin because the direct ice can burn your skin. Apply as necessary, or alternate with heat and ice what ever works best for you. Heat always makes things worse for me but ice is boss.

In the mean time try to notice what positions your head neck arms and shoulders are if or when your symptoms are made worse and what eases it to help you hone in on the specific area of issue.

• judsoncarroll4

Thanks, I think ice, heat and relaxing/anti-inflammatory herbs are all I can handle right now. Valerian and turmeric (with pepper) are helping a little.

• silvertipgrizz

@judsoncarroll4 still looking for it.. he has so many vids. Don't forget to use soft not fluffy towel between ice and skin. AS soon as I get back in from the garden I'll continue looking for it. In the mean time, look for, as you feel up to it, Dr. Mekenzie 'treat your own neck' vid's on you tube. His mechanism for us treating our own neck...and back is priceless. I know because it continues to help me when I need them..easy one main exercise..milking the neck discs or the back discs back into place gently and slowly daily and they actually can and do milk their way back into alignment getting the discs off the nerves... Don't try until you watch the vids for the propler way to do them, and stop if while doing you feel pain...let them rest before you try again...eventually with the discs back in place the pain will stop as long as it's a disc issue..

• judsoncarroll4

Thanks, I found them. I'm going to have to let the inflammation go down some before I can do much. I appreciate it!

• silvertipgrizz

@judsoncarroll4 did you find the vid I posted here by Dr. Mandell? Or online/youtube regarding Dr. Mekenzie re the Mekenzie method?

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 My daughter was hurt running Cross Country in high school. She had surgery b/c her muscle (and they thought the nerve as well) had popped through the fascia in her leg. One of her arms was going numb as well as one of her legs. After the surgery we thought everything would be fine but it wasn't. So she went back to the Ortho doc and PT. She had a couple painful nerve tests which showed no nerve damage but she just wasn't getting better. My friend recommended a chiropractor (I know you said you've been to one) but he didn't help either. Then, she went to an older chiropractor in the same practice and he knew about muscles in your back that press on nerves that have something to do with your legs. He was able to release the muscles and amazingly she felt much better after the first visit. We went back once a week for most of the next school year b/c it helped so much. She's fine now and goes every once in a while when she's home.

All that to say that we learned that both chiropractors were good docs and nice people but they approached the situation differently. Maybe try a different chiropractor.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had great success with shoulder and arm issues using a chiropractor. My MD was trying to sell me on injections because my fingers in my left hand were going numb. May not be your spine that's out, but there are a number of places where nerves can be impinged. Hope you feel better soon.

One thing I've also learned is that ginger is really helpful for that sort of pain and inflammation. Make tea, add to your food, use essential oils, or just lay a slice of raw ginger on the affected area. I learned this from K P Khalsa, who I have great respect for.

• judsoncarroll4

Good news - 50% better today! The inflammation has gone down some.

• silvertipgrizz

@judsoncarroll4 just checking in and glad to hear you're better. I forgot to mention no sugar as sugar is horribly inflammatory...which you prolly already knew but in times of pain some things are not thought of.

I agree, see a chiropractor first, before injections and esp before surgery. If it ever becomes that much of a nucience to even consider sugery, get at least 2 opinions. Non invasive first, and if thot necessary...and it involves nerves/spine...a neurosurgeon...

It is still very important to try to figure out what caused this and thus where the specific site area is. If it flares up again, and even this time if you remember/noticed anything you did before this occurred...what makes it better and what makes it worse. You are your best health detective because you know your body and activities better than any doctor...same for all of us.