Grapes

Nancy Carter
Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Fruit

i would like to grow a small area of grapes! I have 4 plants. What is the best way to support them as they grow?

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Wire trellis is fairly standard for wine grapes. But, my family always grew muscadines on wooden box frames. There are several good books on growing grapes. So long as the variety is well suited to your climate, they aren't too hard.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Grapes can become very heavy. I would make sure that you have sturdy supports for any wire that you use.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

I have them growing over the top of our pergola. Sit in the shade and in season, there is a sweet snack hanging over head. Love to eat te young grape leaves as well. Another snack opportunity while sitting in the shade

• Nancy Carter
    Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

@tomandcara thats a wonderful idea! I may modify this and build an area with a swing underneath!

• Shelba
    Shelba Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

You need to decide if you want a trellis or to grow as free standing vines. I have some of each, living in a wine growing region. The old growth vines are pruned back to where each limb has 2-3 buds left. They develop sturdy, free standing trunks. I have some like this. Concord grapes grow on longer, older limbs, so you will not get fruit this way from concords. I also have a number of vines "planted" by birds along my chain link fence, which I prune so they are upright on the fence, but limit to 6 feet across and flat on the fence, as they get very heavy if allowed to get larger. I do nothing but prune and pick the wild grapes for steam expressed juice. If you chose not to Sulphur you will want to thin our leaves to help prevent mildew growth on your fruit. Mine are in full sun.

• Paradox
    Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

just keep an eye out for thieves! Squirrels steal the harvest from our back vines. One year a raccoon, bold as you please, was eating the ones right outside my window. Pretended that if he didn't look at me, I couldn't see him.

• shaley1357
    shaley1357 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

I grow some Muscadines. I built a trellis from 4X4s and 2X2s to support them. I go out every year and trim them back to a semblance of control in the early spring before the explode and try to take over the world again.

• Leediafastje
    Leediafastje Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

We have our grapes growing on metal stakes with heavy wire. They are growing as a single stalk with two rows of wire. It works great and can carry the weight.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@cartern72 If you do that, I bet you will love it. I am certain it isn't ideal for grpe production, but we get plenty.

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

We have 4 wires stretched across our redwood fence. The grapes grow behind the wires and are doing really well.