My first article for The Grow Network: Food Security, Quality, and Convenience in the COVID-19 Era

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Great job, @judsoncarroll4! I really appreciate your knowledge & writing skills.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

BTW, if anyone would like to comment on the article in the comments section (at the bottom of the article), I'd appreciate it. I'm curious to see how I get notifications of those comments.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 later in the day when I'm in from le garden...I will read and post.

I take it you're feeling better?

• judsoncarroll4

About 50% better, thanks! it wakes me up a lot at night, so I'll be a lot better when I can sleep.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I posted in the comments section.

I am in complete agreement with the points you have made.

Support your local farmer, rancher, grower or local value-added producers! Best way to assure survival of the human race.

• judsoncarroll4

Thanks! I got notification on my alternative email account.... I'll have to check it more frequently now.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome article! You are spot on. And the generation that is in their 30's seem to have had no interest until our world became upside down. Hopefully they will learn from this and not just revert back to what they were doing before the pandemic. Good job @judsoncarroll4

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Just to let you know, I did try and comment at the end of the article but everytime I did, it went back to the top/beginning of the article. That being said, an impressive piece, thankyou. In Australia, especially in regional towns, more and more, there is a growing movement to buy local. Restaurants sourcing local food, with more emphsis on enlightening customers about the provenance of what they're consuming. Local farmers markets. Paddock to plate long lunches, highlighting the best from the region. Placing orders of organic food, delivered to your door. More people interested in growing their own etc. Obviously that costs more for the consumer and not all are on board. Some of the lazy and ill informed, think getting a feed at McDonalds is healthy, quick and cheap. Therein lies the problem. If more emphasis was placed on educating students/people on nutrition, how the body works, things might change. All of this issue then spreads its ugly tenticles to the health/medicine industry! Heart disease, cancer, diabetes, Alzheimer's , obesity. The list of health issues goes on and basically the problem is WHAT FOOD WE CHOOSE TO PUT IN OUR MOUTH. Big pharma is an issue for another day.

• tuliv4
    tuliv4 Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

I too was going to leave a comment and wasn’t able to, as it just kept looping me back to the beginning of the article.

Definitely a big issue in these modern times- thanks for addressing it. Seems like food quality isn’t as important as food quantity at the big business/mainstream retail levels. Very glad some people are blessed with discerning taste buds.

Growing ones own food is a skill and an art.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@judsoncarroll4 thank you for a very interesting article. We (my husband and me) concentrate on healthy food and healthy way of life for round 4 years and my husband got rid of two “incurable” illnesses and now he needs no medication. His “medicine “ is food and herbs. Mine has been for two decades 😊

But it is very difficult to find healthy products in supermarkets. We do not buy anything with additives, we do not buy processed food, we do not buy anything with sugar and refined wheat, no refined products.... we try to buy local products... well, you can imagine. There is almost nothing to buy. I bake our whole grain bread, we grow a lot of vegetables and fruit. Now we identified farmers who feed cows only with grass and hay and we buy meat, milk, butter only from them. We found a farmer whose chicken are running in the yard and he feeds no antibiotics to them...

We understood that our health is our matter and we have to fight for it and this fight is not an easy one. We have to invest a lot of time and energy to get healthy products.

you mentioned apples. Well, I have a list of old sorts of apples in my shopping bag and I always look only for those sorts. These apples do turn brown when you cut them. It is a good sign. These apples “keep a doctor away”.

we are both retired, so we have time, but how can busy young families living in cities eat healthy in this industrial world???

Here, in Europe, during Corona Times people started noticing that so much goes false in this profit oriented society. Some even see Corona as a blessing - a possibility to change things. To turn away from globalisation to local production. To end up with slavery in meat factories... Hopefully these positive intentions last. Well... we shall continue our way of saving ourselves.

• judsoncarroll4

I hope the virus will wake some folks up though. But, the "Normalcy Bias" is very powerful. In America, things went back to normal very quickly after 9/11.... our president even told us that the best way to combat terrorism was to go shopping.... I'll try not to comment on that, but if I did, it would certainly be negative. The financial collapse of almost a decade later really should have changed behavior and attitudes... jobs and houses lost, debt eating people alive... but, it did not. The Normalcy Bias is an important psychological defense mechanism, allowing people to cope. But, it also causes people to think that everything will and should return to normal, and prevents them from changing their behaviors. It also makes those of use who point out the need to change appear to be villains or paranoiacs.