Pitchfork/Composting fork recommendations?
Do you have a good recommendation or experience using a pitchfork or composting fork?
I am so excited-- after years of wanting to try it, I finally have a good source for green and brown material enough to try "Berkeley Method" or Geoff Lawton-style composting. This uses a very large pile, minimum five feet high, to rapidly cook the compost in an 18 day cycle. For most of that time you are flipping the entire pile every other day.
So I am going to moving a lot of compost. I thought I had a pitchfork, but it seems to have wandered away to a community garden or just embarked on a life adventure away from my house. Now I need to buy one.
Most people seem to think a pitchfork is the same as a compost fork. Is that true? It is definitely not a "digging fork". I need long curved tines, apparently.
What have you used? Was it any good? Do you have a recommendation or a place to buy one? Have you ever composted using this method? I'd like to hear about your experiences. Thank you!
This Week's Leaders
- 605 All Categories
- 21 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 25 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 202 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 377 Current Events & Breaking News
- 1K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.2K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 408 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 28 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 298 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 299 The Homestead: DIY
- 856 Personal Journals
- 77 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter