Swiss Chard

naomi.kohlmeier
naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Vegetables

So apparently I planted my Swiss Chard in tow separate places in my garden this year. I have so much of it. So far I've eaten it raw, used it in salads, sautéed it with onions and balsamic vinegar, froze the greens and fermented the stalks. Help! I need some more suggestions or recipes for my abundant crop!

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin
    edited June 2020

@naomi.kohlmeier Make chard rolls like cabbage rolls. Then you can freeze them for later.

There is another thread on the subject of what to do with extra greens at: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/843566/what-to-do-with-the-current-glut-of-greens-and-lettuce#latest

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@naomi.kohlmeier couple of different ways I cook with it. For breakfast/brunch. Saute leek and mushroom, add couple handfuls of spinach or chard, add some veg stock, simmer. When just about cooked and stock cooked off, make some indents with the back of a large spoon, crack an egg in each one and poach.

Fry off 1 onion, add chard. Chop up dates and add towards end of cook along with handful of pine nuts.

Spinach Pie. I use filo sheets. Line pie dish. Mixture, cook off 1 onion, sprinkle s&p and nutmeg. Add bunch of chard. Cook down. Let cool. Beat 2 eggs and a cup ricotta cheese. Add to chard mixture, pour into pie dish. Place sheet of filo pastry on top. Fork some holes into, brush with some egg and bake in moderate oven about 50 mins. Great hot or cold. With any of these recipes you could add anything you fancy !

• marion.lemari
    marion.lemari Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

I know this problem. Swiss chard is so easy to grow, and once it is established, one plant basically allows for a harvest every few days. you could try to dehydrate it, so you have some for the winter. This way you can also store it somewhere else but the freezer and free up some space.

• Paradox
    Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

Absolutely agree with @marion.lemari .. blanch for about 30-45 seconds (until it turns bright green), immediately chill in ice water, drain, layer on dehydrator trays and look forward to fantastic greens in the winter. Once they are dry, you can either powder them (for smoothies or whatever), or keep them more intact. I store mine in mason jars that get vac sealed.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

Thank you all! I have a dehydrator and I'm going to try a few of those recipes as well!

• chimboodle04
    chimboodle04 Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

It is great in egg dishes - mix with scrambled eggs or add into quiches and frittatas...