Alert..Hand sanitizers dangerous chemical with potential to cause blindness and worse...

silvertipgrizz
silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in COVID-19/Coronavirus

When I was working nights at the hospital I worked at just after graduation, some of the staff were using the hand pumps that are on the wall, with hand sanitizer in them. I never like them, never used them and always, ALWAYS washed my hands with soap and water on entering and leaving a patients room. There was plenty of talk about how much less effective it was than soap and water...then why use it around people with weakened immune systems from the massive surgeries our patients underwent..bypass, lvad, etc...

About 2 months ago I was in the local grocery store and man that apppeared in his late 60's give or take was at the check out line offering everyone around him use of his hand sanitizer. He looked up and offered some to me. Back when I was working until today I will not use it. I told him it was not nearly as effective as soap and water and went about my way. This is why I do not use it, then or now, because I do not believe one word out of our govt's mouth, let alone companies out of the US, esp China.....Please, if you are using hand sanitizer check out the companies listed in this article to make sure you are not using one of these.. All these were manufactured the article says at the same plant in Mexico.. While the FDA says to the contrary, Doctors are fully aware of the danger of this chemical referenced in this article that can cause blindness and worse...There is still one of the brands with this chemical on our market for purchase....Imagine if one of our children put this toxin on their hands, and worse depending on their age.

The article:

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

There are a lot of recalled brands of sanitizer up here in Canada.

We heard over & over again & by a microbiologist in a provincial, internationally recognized infectious diseases lab: even mild dish soap & water is better than hand sanitizer.

I appreciate the places that are offering soap & water. The sanitizer stores...not so much. One even sprays, so it is in the air too. I hate that in order to shop in certain stores, we are forced to use it (and we have now taken note where)...which forces me immediately into a dirty place I try my best to avoid...the public washroom. But, then junk is washed off (as much as some will have been absorbed) and it is at least off my hands.

We find that since everything now seems sanitized, we feel it in our bodies, whether it is breathing, headaches, etc. We never use those chemicals & scents at home because we know that they harm.

@silvertipgrizz I get it.

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing this. There are more "natural" hand sanitizers available that still use alcohol - since that's what kills the germs - but have other kinder ingredients (like aloe vera gel) instead of synthetic materials. I have some natural hand sanitizer I keep in my car. You can also find many recipes online to make your own.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

Our county health service just sent out warnings about this stuff. We are currently one of the "concerning surge" areas of our state. It is a timely warning as I am sure folks will be looking for sanitizer.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the warnings I decided to start using soap instead of hand sanitizer a long time ago because of the chemicals. Trying to live a chemical free life is necessary for some of us. I did check out some of the DIY recipes for hand sanitizer and I am still allergic to some of the ingredients. Hand soap it is and I am grateful there is something I can use.

• JaneMcTavish
    JaneMcTavish Posts: 26 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing. When we tried to buy hand sanitizer, there was none to be found. I searched my formula files and was thrilled to find several. Then headed to buy just two ingredients I didn't have in my "stash" Isopropyl Alcohol and Aloe Gel (without some nonsense added). Went to every pharmacy and grocery in this little town and found one that carried the gel, they had only two tubes and I bought both, along with a bottle of alcohol. Went home and made a pint of hand sanitizer.

We never did use much when it was available in stores, we've always used soap and water, still do unless there's no choice, then we use what I made. Our hands haven't dried out and the scent is pleasant, the Essential Oils I added smell nice and have anti bacterial, anti fungal, and anti inflammatory advantages and more. I'm glad to know that the decision to avoid commercial hand sanitizer was wise.

Thank you again.

• silvertipgrizz

Here is my solution:

2 sandwhich size seal baggies. 2 wash cloths of different colors. Blue indicates soap, and white indicates plain water. I wet both and squeeze out enough water to leave them both adequately wet but not bloated with water. i then put about 2 or 3 drops of dawn dish soap on the blue one. I leave the other one just wet. Seal them and take them with me to go to town.

When I get in the car after each shopping place I wash my hands with the soapy one by squeezing it inside the baggie getting soap on my entire hand, and rinse with the water only one in the same manner. It is working well for me.

Any other ideas anyone?

• Noel Davey
    Noel Davey Posts: 30 ✭✭✭

I feel the same way i use soap and water. but do not over wash my hands as it destroys the protective virus on my hands that protect me from virus that are worse. I think we are 47% viral so it is all a lot more complicated than we are told and we really no very little about our amazing body. And it's better to use what you know is safe, as to chemicals that are unknown can be very dangerous to health.

So soap and water only for me. thank you for sharing

• Lynne
    Lynne Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

I remember hand sanitizer was something we used only when soap and water were not available. Warnings were given then how dangerous it can be. All of a sudden the virus came and hand sanitizer was the main germ killer because it was easy? Soap and water has been our main germ stopper. Of course we found out just how many people didn’t clean their hands at all. A good thing to come out of this pandemic if teaching people how important washing our hands is.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Lynne Not much will change. I asked a couple years ago on two forums, one local & the other poultry based, about washing their hands. A story had come out about what kills germs best and hand washing came out on top. Hand sanitizer actually left live bacteria, etc. on the hands. They were gross. The story also addressed washing after washroom/restroom/bathroom use.

Well, I wash my hands after using the washroom, before I make food & also when I come indoors at home. I think that is reasonable, especially when we have so many animals. I expect the same of my kids too. It is a habit for me just as a Canadian always takes their shoes off just inside the door of a home & certain businesses so as not to track things in (yes, it is the polite thing to do here).

The resulting replies to my post were far from good & really eye opening. I was made fun of for suggesting that people wash hands after using the washroom! Most people rarely wash their hands. One guy said he knows that his "parts" are washed daily. He will wash before using a restroom so as not to pick up anything, but refuses to wash afterward, then goes on with his shopping, etc. Ew. On the poultry forum, one guy said he would only be concerned if there was an actual blob of chicken poop on his hand while he ate a sandwich, and even so, he might just brush it off. Again...so unsanitary & actually potentially dangerous. Now I hear of adults who have to touch all the veggies/fruits in the store before they buy them, even opening up grape containers & bags to do so. The food is too expensive to not fully touch everything first before buying they say. Yuck. Thanks. Whether it is sanitizer on the hands or they are unwashed & filthy...I don't appreciate that. People scratch butts, pet dogs, pick noses, then touch everything. No thank you. It goes far beyond a virus thing for me.

People are super lazy. They also hate being told what to do. They will gladly go back to their old ways & quickly. I believe most have done so already except where forced to do otherwise.

Washing hands is just not that hard.

• silvertipgrizz

@LaurieLovesLearning Ok Laurie, you're making me work....I'll be posting a new discussion soon that proves how Critically important it is to not only wash ones hands at the appropriate situation, but HOW to properly wash them...stay tuned..

• LaurieLovesLearning

@silvertipgrizz We had seen a really great tutorial given on a newscast by a microbiologist at the infectious diseases lab in our province. They have dealt with the deadliest of infectious diseases there. If anyone knows how to wash properly, he should. What he showed is what we already did in our household. 😊

I do believe that most people do not know how to wash properly & need to be reminded frequently.

On that note, I was sent an online video on how to wash hands "properly" by someone, that featured tv personality Dr. Oz. 🙄 Wow - That is one guy never to trust with anything. It is far from the first incorrect information that he has sent out to the general public. I would never want him operating on me for anything!

Hopefully you can find a proper video!

• silvertipgrizz

@LaurieLovesLearning In full agreement on the so called dr oz....I didn't know about him until I watched a vid by another doc that oz had booked to come on his show, had the doc send to oz a transcript of his talk... the some time later he cancelled this doc, and then presented the doctors transcript info by another doc he invited to his show. I was and am appalled and as you said.....I watch only a few of his emails but with the highest of scrutiny. And..I no linger respect him as a doc or person.

I will post the info I mentioned sometime this week. I have to find it, or just write it up and find the story, and my garden has to be planted..almost there so as soon as I can.

Don't forget the moringa show today..I'm posting a reminder and a link for the new rootlings lol of moringa. I bought one and some seeds and shipping total was around 36.00

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning

There are definitely a lot of people out there that do not have proper hand hygiene.

Also for anyone buying or making hand sanitizer make sure to have at least 60% ethanol or Isopropyl for best results and leave it on your hands for at least 10 seconds. And for anyone interested the alcohol kills viruses by separating them based on hydrophilic "water loving" (polar molecule) parts and hydrophobic "water hating" (non-polar molecule) parts since half of the alcohol molecule is polar and the other half is non-polar. It does not remove the dead virus parts though, so washing your hands is still far more effective.

• llvonn
    llvonn Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

I'm in NZ and when we were under lockdown we were required to use hand sanitizer on entry and exit of all shops. They also sanitised trolleys and had to wait in line as only a certain amount of people were allowed in a building at once. I have extremely sensitive hands so really don't like sanitiser, so I grabbed some gloves out of my first aid kit and wore those. Hand sanitizer on the gloves complied with safety requirements without killing my hands.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

@llvonn Some sanitizer use ethanol instead of methanol. Those are not bad like the methanol based sanitizers, but they will never be as effective as good old soap and water

• Lisa Pizza
    Lisa Pizza Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

I know a person that just squeezes a small drop in their hands; since they have to use it at work. Good to know it is poisonous from some companies. That makes sense too, this person, spoken of above, also has very sensitive skin, and the sanitizer goo makes her hands dry and cracked!

• sallyhoward
    sallyhoward Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Also important to apply a natural lotion after all this hand washing to reduce the chance of pathogens creeping into our cracked skin.

• silvertipgrizz

Shea butter

• marcy_northlightsfarm
    marcy_northlightsfarm Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

What works for me is a used dish soap container filled with water and just a small amount of soap, a few drops. I keep this in my vehicle and give a big squirt to wash and another squirt to rinse. It works well and I only use natural soaps of course. I store it upright in a door pocket and keep paper towels under the seat. This is only a warm season solution for me because in the winter it would freeze solid. Years ago I read a tutorial about making homemade baby wipes. You would reuse the rectangular tub from purchased wipes and cut up a stack of heavy duty paper towels before pouring your home made liquid over and resealing. I don't see those tubs for sale anymore, but I don't have babies either, so skip that section of the store.

• llvonn

@tomandcara I agree, however it would have been impractical to set up a handwashing station at the supermarket. Sanitiser was far more effective in that specific situation. Additionally, there was not much choice in the matter either. If you didn't use the sanitizer, you could not enter the store.

Use of gloves in that situation was the best option.

• llvonn

I have found that my own homemade soap does not strip my hands like commercial brands do. I believe it is because the glycerin is kept which really helps as it is a humectant.

If you wish to use soap you could use a soap bar and (in advance) use a small piece shaved off. As for the wet wipes, A container with damp fabric cloths could be used. They can then be washed and reused. It doesn't even need be one of those pop up containers.

• silvertipgrizz

@llvonn It is the glycerin. Most commercial soaps have that component striped and used elsewhere for more greed/money...

I make homemade soap as well and the most common praise I would get is that when they started using mine their rash went away...or their blemishes healed and their skin felt moist/nourished. One of the ladies I made it for said she liked it so much she would wash her face more often. Those were common comments from the women, teens and even men that loved my homemade soap.

I did make some awesome soaps..

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

My wife's grandmother born in the early 1900's used a 50/50 mix of lemon juice and vegetable glycerin as a moisturizer. To this day, my wife uses it regularly as does our daughter. I don't know if it goes back further that the ear;y 20th century as a family tradition.