Free (huge and comprehensive) Herbal Medicine Course by SWSBM

judsoncarroll4
judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
edited October 2020 in Other Courses

I just began this course and wondered if anyone else would like to do it too... maybe form a study group?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@judsoncarroll4 I have been enrolled in this for awhile but have never got to it. Michael Moore's teachings are awesome. I would be happy to participate in a study group as this will encourage me to "get with it".

• judsoncarroll4

Oh, cool! Well, I couldn't get the lessons to play on his site. But, they do download. I just watched the first 1. I'll probably do 1 a day. So, if you want to catch up, watch the first part of the first lesson, LOL!

• Torey

I will do that at some point today and let you know when I am done. @COWLOVINGIRL was very interested in herbal medicine courses, so I sent her a message about this.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 it seem as though it is $1200 and $1800 for the courses, am I looking at it wrong?

• Ethereal Earth
    Ethereal Earth Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

This is great, thank you so much for letting us know!

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

That sounds awesome but not sure I can keep up. I think I will register and get started though. A study group sounds great - people learn from those in the group as well as the course material. Thanks @judsoncarroll4

• Bigfamilyboss
    Bigfamilyboss Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

Wow! Thank you for sharing! My medical books burned in my house fire a few years ago but hopefully I can get another Tabers used.

• Torey

@Bigfamilyboss That's too bad about losing your books. There are lots of great free resources on this site. Won't replace your books but might help build up your library if you print them out. This is a link to the main page: https://www.swsbm.com/HOMEPAGE/HomePage.html

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

WOW

• Torey

He was beginning to lose me a bit from time to time but at the end it seemed to come together about the different molecules and knowing their individual components and what those components might do in the human body. I had never thought about the taste of salt before. That it is not salt that we are tasting but a combination of the tastes of the sodium and chloride atoms. Interesting about the potassium chloride.

So I am learning new things! Its a good day.

I'm sure this is on the main page somewhere but here is a link to: "Outlines of over 500 major botanical medicines, with the preferred forms and methods of their preparations, strengths, solutions, the most common adult dosages environmental status, and potential dangers". Really valuable document. Available at: http://www.swsbm.com/ManualsMM/MatMed5.pdf

• judsoncarroll4
  • COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

judsoncarroll4 I'm here! So, i'm a bit confused. I saw two courses. Are we doing both or just one? Thanks, and I'd love to be a part of a study group!

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Okay thanks! I think what I'll do is just follow this thread and learn from what you guys are talking about.Thank you!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I enrolled. I am not sure if I will keep up either, but will also watch this thread for insights.

• GardenMama
    GardenMama Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

I think I tried to do this before but got busy with life and kids and didnt finish. I should try enrolling and getting through it again

• judsoncarroll4
    edited June 2020

Lesson 1 part 2 is another chemistry lesson. It is really 2 parts. Part 1 is all about molecular bonds. Then, they take a break. Part 2 is PH. The instructor says you don't have to memorize or go deep into this stuff, but it helps you understand what things are and why they act as they do. So, this lesson is dense and won't appeal to everyone... but, those who get into it will probably really benefit. Eventually, he get into proteins, fats, carbohydrates and, especially how food becomes sugars. Then, he gets into enzymes. I downloaded the second file, Herb Formulas for "Clinic and Home" by Michael Moore. It is VERY impressive! I want a hard copy - one of the best herbal books I've ever read! Anyway, one could probably skip the first half of this lesson...

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to register and see if I can squeeze the course in.

• Torey

I made it through lesson 2. I know this is important stuff and I have studied it in other courses but please, lets get on with the herbs. Or is it just me?

• Dani
    Dani Posts: 27 ✭✭✭

Before I check myself did anyone notice if you can register now but not actually start for a few months? I would love to take this but I just cannot take on one more thing right now.

• Torey

@Dani Yes, apparently I had signed up quite awhile ago but had forgotten till @judsoncarroll4 brought it to our attention. My login info still worked.

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info! I signed up, but won’t be able to tackle it anytime soon. It is now on my ‘someday when the girls are older and I I don’t feel like life is totally overwhelming” list. Lol

• judsoncarroll4
    edited July 2020

Lesson 1 Part 3... he finally begins applying the chemistry info to health. It is sugars, proteins and fats. He points out that many vegans are in poor health, even starving, while eating plenty of calories, due to lack of protein. He gets into amino acids, specific lipids, etc... a little more on enzymes. And, he gets into how low cholesterol is very dangerous, but it has never been proven that high cholesterol causes any health problems whatsoever.

• Torey

Interesting what he said about seeing starving vegans. Nothing against vegans if that is your choice, however, it is a complicated issue being able to get a proper balance between protein, fat and carbs. You can’t just decide to be a vegan and cut all animal products out of your diet without doing adequate research to find replacements for animal proteins and fats and knowing what those replacements will do to your body. 

Very interesting what he said about cholesterol. I have been trying to say this to people for a long time. Your brain is 25% cholesterol. So what do statins do to your cognitive abilities?

• judsoncarroll4

Since Lesson 1-3 was only 15 minutes, I went ahead and did 1-4. It is all about the Physiology Coloring Book... which actually seems like a book I need to buy... never would have thought so. There is a big section on how cells absorb solids or liquids and then expel waste. Big words for simple processes. It all makes sense though Unfortunately, they have a group activity which is off camera... which is a bit frustrating. But, then he gets into viruses - whether or not they are alive... always fascinating. Then, oxygen in relation to ATP. The Krebs cycle then leads to a humorous diatribe on how terms are changed due to political correctness. He relates it back to how some auto-immune diseases being caused by nutritional deficiencies, especially B-6 and Magnesium deficiencies screwing up the Krebs Cycle.

• judsoncarroll4

Lack of cholesterol is a big problem. Weston A Price Foundation has great archives for all the studies on cholesterol. It is crazy that cholesterol was like the main issue that caused Dr. Atkins and Dr. WC Douglas to be such outcasts in the medical community.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

I signed up. I figure I can do it with my kids. I'm doing Rosemary Gladstar's course right now. Way behind! But maybe I can do this with my kids. And because I'm a homeschooler, I just happen to have the physiology coloring book lying around. How perfect!