Welcome to the TGN Forums!

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

Welcome to the forum @smik123. You will find good friends here.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone. I'm currently in CT. Planning to move to northern AL in the next year. I'm an avid vegetable gardener, fermenter, pickler, canning, and future homesteader. I grew up in SD ranching and raising animals for food, hunting and fishing. I am currently studying herbalism and natural home remedies. I look forward to discussing and learning from all of you.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@ltwickey whereabouts in SD? I lived in the Hills for about a year. It is one of my favorite places.

Welcome to the forum!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,498 admin

Welcome! "Way down in Columbus, Georgia", in the words of an old song.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

Welcome to TGN's forum @smik123, @ltwickey and @frogvalley!

• AvaAnder
    AvaAnder Posts: 5 ✭✭✭

Hello All-My name is Ava and I am from NW Florida.  I have been a gardener most of my life.  I grow my own organic vegetables as well as teach other how to grow some of their own food.

I love growing my own herbal plants.  Love going outside my backyard to pick my own medicine.  I have been a fan of Majority for a long time.  "Love You Majority".

I hope to earn even more from this group.  I am glad to be a part of it.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

Welcome @AvaAnder! I'm sure you will have lots of good gardening tips to share with us. Looking forward to it.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Laurie,

I grew up outside Rapid City. The Hills are beautiful much nicer then the eastern side of the state. Better hunting and fishing!

Glad to be part of the group.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Haha! @frogvalley hang in there! I think you made a good choice r.e. joining the forums instead of throwing yourself out of an airplane.... 😂 Welcome!

• Joette
    Joette Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

I believe she missed her calling - stand-up comedian. Welcome aboard. We all need a little humor.

• judsoncarroll4

Well, I never told you about my great uncle, who did jump out of an airplane in war and broke his back... and who taught me to fly when I was a kid, just handed me the controls of his plane, had a drink and took a nap! Crazy is as crazy does, but sometimes odd people have more sense than the normal ones.

• Newbie question: How do I add my location and growing zone next to my name? I have poked around with profile settings and it is not immediately obvious how to do it. For the record, I would like it to say "Central Washington state, zone 5B".

Thank you for the advice, and I'm sure many other new arrivals like myself have the same question!

• charr80
    charr80 Posts: 15

I'm from Alabama. We are currently on a rental property owned by my mother-in-law. We are able to do more on this property than other rentals. We started a wood chip garden this year that's 1300 sq ft. It's slow going since the wood chips haven't decomposed to soil yet. I just add some compost to where I'm planting. We are starting on our second garden that's slightly bigger. We have added 5 silver fox meat rabbits, 2 nigerian dwarf goats for milk, and 5 chickens. One being a rooster that we just added about a week ago. All of this is new for us so I'm relying heavily on experienced growers like those at TGN. Thanks for all you shared knowledge. It makes all the difference!

• judsoncarroll4

Welcome! It sounds like you have some good manure to add to those wood chips and get them ready more quickly - should be an amazingly fertile garden and amazingly productive with Alabama's climate and long seasons!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@seasparrow32 Well, if you click on your avatar, and press edit profile, it should be one of the choices of what you can edit. It should be very easy to see & simple to change.

If this hasn't worked for you, then @Jimerson is the man you need.

• It says "You don't have permission to do that."

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 683 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

Yes, exactly @tomandcara. And it is so difficult to tell people that; they just can't imagine changing and believe all the ads they read.

• Annie Kate

Oops, I commented before introducing myself:

Hi, I live in Ontario, Canada on a 3 acre property. A bit over half is wetland, and on higher ground we have a 4500 sq ft garden, a small orchard, and nut trees that the squirrels and jays harvest for us. We have had chickens (both meat and layers) in the past but that doesn’t work for us right now. Two of our children have been involved with beekeeping in the past, but currently other people have a few hives near our place, which is a real blessing. 

Just before the covid lockdown, our daughter was refused medical care because my she had a cold as well as the issue we wanted to consult the doctor about, and I realized I need to learn more about home medicine (although I already do a lot with vitamins and minerals, having learned from Adele Davis and the big Balch nutritional medicine book). I have had very low energy for the past decade, have gone through the medical wringer to no avail, and am hoping to learn gain energy. Fermenting, culturing, sourdoughing and other traditional food prep are things I am learning about, although I’ve made yoghurt and sauerkraut for years. And we are starting to learn about essential oils as well.

• Annie Kate

@ teachercaryn I agree with you about walking barefoot, listening to the wind, and enjoying thunderstorms. Nature is so beautiful!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Annie Kate Welcome here! Please check in here too:

It makes for easier connections & maybe you will even find someone nearby for a get together one day.

It sounds like you are on quite a journey, not unlike many of us here.

• Annie Kate

Hey, @Denisha Cole I am a homeschooler, too. 😊 One of my kids is finishing high school in the next two weeks, and there's one to go after that who deals with post concussion issues and a painful muscle condition. I'm hoping these forums and the certificates may help with that.

• Annie Kate

Yay @judsoncarroll4! Lots of homeschoolers are into growing and making things for themselves. Where would one find the homeschooling group?

• Annie Kate

A native herbal garden sounds like such an amazing idea @kfoto! Could you explain more or give a resource for learning more about that? We grow some native plants and know about some of the wild ones in our area, but putting them all into a garden would be an awesome project. Thank you for mentioning it!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited July 2020

@Annie Kate Make sure you check in with the homeschooler thread as well! It's there to make connections.

You may want to look into lion's mane for concussion recovery. I researched it some when concerned about a mild concussion that our daughter had. A cousin of mine found that it made a great difference in his clarity of thought, his eyesight & more. This was not a placebo effect as I had only told him that it could help with recovery, & no specifics were given.

You can find a little information by searching for it here. Perhaps ask what herbs & mushrooms have been used for concussion recovery. We have a lot of knowledgable herbalists here on TGN.

As far as the painful muscle condition, you will find good suggestions here as well.

• Annie Kate

Hi @MelissaLynne that sounds amazing. We have only coyotes, bears and wolves here (with some reports of 'dog-sized cats with long tails') so we got some big, protective dogs so the children were able to roam freely. But such small children and frequent cougars sounds like supervising your kids is a very important part of your homesteading lifestyle. How do you keep your chickens safe amidst all that?

• Annie Kate

Yes, @GardenMama, those old time skills are so interesting and so valuable. Years ago I was part of a group of homeschoolers who got together monthly to share such traditional skills. One father-in-law showed his grandson how to build a kitchen from scratch, beginning with choosing a tree in the woods!

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@AnnieKate we have an Australian Shepherd and a noisy blue heeler that generally discourage wild animals from hanging around. It took me a couple years to reliably train them to not kill the chickens, especially the Broody hens and their chicks. 😠 They are on a electric collar that keeps them within 90’ of the house though. The game department will fine us if they are not confined in some way. The chickens roam considerably further. The chickens are secured at night but range freely during the day. Generally I just try to keep plenty around and hatch more every year. Periodically one or two disappear, but I have enough that it isn’t a noticeable loss. If I notice a predator hanging around I will call them back in and most the chickens will come running expecting treats and linger in the area. Maybe fire a couple shots if the predator is still hanging about. If it becomes an ongoing problem coming right up to our main yard and house area we will kill it.

with the cougar issue and small children it can be frustratingly hard to get much done as far as developing the property and garden. Once I get the garden under some sort of managed state I will focus on building a safe play area for the girls next to our main veggie garden. Hopefully this should help.

when our two current dogs pass I will invest in a couple of trained LGDs. I don’t want to try to raise any now while we still have such bad examples around. Our current dogs have been known to nap in front of the house while a cougar was staring down our goats just around the corner. The dogs more often seem to think our other animals are for their entertainment rather than being protective of them.

This discussion has been closed.