Sprouted sweet potatoes

Karen luihn
Karen luihn Posts: 53 ✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Vegetables

I have a 25lb box of sweet potatoes that are sprouting. I live in NC where it’s only going to warmer and more humid so I would like to Save them. You. Does anyone have any suggestions for freezing or other ways to preserve them? Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• Karen luihn
    Karen luihn Posts: 53 ✭✭✭

Thank you Wayne! I dont have a freeze dryer buts it’s definitely on my wish list. It’s comforting to know that they can be salvaged....I really try not to waste food. And the stew with tomatoes sounds like my kids d of meal. Would you share your recipe? I love that you were able to grow the sprouts into hearty plants! That is awesome! I hope there will be a huge harvest when the time comes.

Cheers

Karen

• Wayne Johnson
    Wayne Johnson Posts: 14

There are tons of recipes online for sweet potato stew. My recipe keeps changing---usually have some sort of beans. I recently made a batch from 20 year old beans (Y2K) and a frozen organic hog head, forgotten on the bottom of my freezer (my first experiment with this!) Let me tell you---this was the BEST stew I've ever had---- so delicious and thick with all that cooked bone stock. Never throw away bones! Your grandmother probably never did, and for good reason! I usually read 4-5 recipes for anything new, then make e mental composite, then start experimenting! Go for it----:>)