uses for watermelon rind

annbeck62
annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I only realized this a couple years ago so I thought I'd share for those who didn't know. The white part of a watermelon is edible. Raw it reminds me of cucumber and I've juiced it and chopped it (peeled) for salads, I've also pickled it just like a cucumber except I peeled it. Peeled and cooked it has a very mild squash like flavor and combines wonderfully with sauces.

Comments

• shaley1357
    shaley1357 Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

I've seen pickled as you mentioned, dehydrated and juiced. My chickens love them ice cold on a hot afternoon. I freeze them in a gollon ziplock and pass them out a few at a time.

• valizona
    valizona Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

It does involve quite a bit of sugar, but they also make excellent preserves. Watermelon rind jam, especially cooked with a little lemon and ginger or lime and serrano, is a family favorite on a PB&J.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

We always had it fixed like cucumber salad - sliced with a bit of onion sliced, vinegar, a small amount of sugar to balance the vinegar and a shake of salt. Very cooling and yummy! I like these other ideas - my sugar babies will hopefully put more on so I can try this (the ones so far are only the size of a golf ball - it's a young plant).

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

My mom used to make pickled watermelon rind as well. Lots of sugar though, they were sweet and sour. Nowadays we throw them on the compost pile <^;

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

My chickens love melon rinds as a treat. :)

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

Melon rind never goes to waste at my place either. I grew up with the rinds pickled and loved them. Hadn’t thought of slicing them thin and making refrigerated pickles with them. I also freeze most of them for my chickens and worms on hot days. Whatever is left after the chickens are done goes into the compost pile.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grandfather used to make pickles out of the rinds. I feed them to my worms. They love them!

• moreyshadypines
    moreyshadypines Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

Yes, watermelon rinds are a favorite of my worms also. I like to lay them on top, come back in 5 minutes and they are all clustered underneath it. Apparently, I'm easily entertained! Anytime you can take a off cut or scrap and turn it into a resource, its a bonus! Thank you for all the suggestions. I've made watermelon rind jelly before as well, diversity is good. Yum. :)

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, lots of great ideas. We have always just fed them to our chickens. Might have to start saving some for us too.

• erikawinterton
    erikawinterton Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

Love this! Typically I treat my chickens with it too. They love it especially in the summer.