A few words from the TGN team...

Ruth Ann Reyes
Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin
edited November 2020 in Encouragement

TGN knows that the times we're living are tough. In fact, that may be the understatement of the year....But, as y'all are out there caring for your gardens, your family, and ultimately caring for the world, remember to take some time to care for yourself too! 

This is your reminder to take a break... unplug... breathe... and even if you just do one thing this week...do that one thing for your self... something that fills your cup! 

P.S. that dude standing there in the black shirt is Mr. @Jimerson :)

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Very well said @Ruth Ann Reyes! Very cool spot!

• Ruth Ann Reyes

Thanks, it's near Portland. Gaston, actually. We went there for a team meeting in July '17 😁

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful picture!!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

I would love to visit such a lovely spot. 😍

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning! Made my day! Thanks for the pix.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a fantastic picture. The location looks like it would be a great place to unwind, relax and just enjoy nature. Thank you for sharing.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Thanks for the reminder, @Ruth Ann Reyes! Well said, and so important to remember!

• Nicoleburba
    Nicoleburba Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Fantastic picture

• GardenMama
    GardenMama Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Perfect reminder! Thank you

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Ruth Ann Reyes ! I'm taking a break right now (from homeschooling and picking currants and cherries and doing dishes) by hanging out here. LOL Even though I've only been here for a short time, I'm loving it!

• mmarriott
    mmarriott Posts: 9 ✭✭✭

I have a very similar list, and yes, I have kids (grown ones) and spending time with them does make it on the list - sometimes! I think what I've missed most about being under pandemic restrictions has been not being able to go to the library or to thrift stores. Luckily have lots of unread titles lying around I can read, and really I don't need any more clothes or "stuff" even if it doesn't cost much. So many ways to enjoy life without going out or spending money. Dog walks in the forest near my house are my daily tonic.

• Melinda
    Melinda Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

thank you for the reminder

• tammyrichardsmt9
    tammyrichardsmt9 Posts: 109 ✭✭✭

Yes! Thank you! I get so caught up in the day to day I forget to stop and smell the roses occasionally!

• moreyshadypines
    moreyshadypines Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

Yes, making yourself feel "special" helps you to extend that courtesy to others. I tend to be a dedicated workaholic - and I enjoy that - but not everyone does. :) I like to create a project, get to it and see how it turns out - all in one day. Most people are going to do it "someday". I am constantly striving for the balance where I also, am a great project that needs tending to. Work in progress on that point. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on what makes you happy - relaxed. I do outdoors constantly - at

my day job and at my farm. Nothing like being outside and hearing the flapping of a bird overhead, because it so quiet. Makes for a perfect "zen" moment.

• Raye
    Raye Posts: 15 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the reminder and beautiful picture.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you so much Ruth Ann Reyes! I think I have decided to take a walk in the woods today!

• Ruth Ann Reyes

We love our community! You guys are so awesome! So, the TGN team whole hardheartedly believes that taking care of yourselves and loved ones mentally, physically, and spiritually is so important! Especially in the times we're experiencing! 😍😘

• ieducate2008
    ieducate2008 Posts: 40 ✭✭✭

Well, now I feel motivated to visit a lovely place! I live in Oregon, so one of my favorite places is Silver Falls park. I may just venture out there and sit by a waterfall!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@ieducate2008 I have none close by at all, but they are one of my favorite things. I will certainly be with you in spirit. Please enjoy them doubly!

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

We went to a state park today and walked in the wood. We saw a beautiful waterfall going over a dam and a smaller one next to it. We saw a deer, a HUGE stink bug, and so many people in the water. We walked on a covered bridge a saw an old mill. Fun day!

• kchiarini
    kchiarini Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

Thank you so much for the reminder and that beautiful pic. I agree - we need to stop....just stop...and take in the beauty that life offers. And despite the challenges we face, there are always things to be grateful for. Concentrating on the negative takes up real estate in your mind. Why not fill it with positive thoughts? Or at least try to. Just a thought...

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I am a great believer in Jesus' confirmation usage...all day I have been thinking in answer to my son: yes, indeed IT IS 'all about me!' Ever heard of self-care? it is a 'thing' now! These times, it is now confirmed for me take good care of yourself, this is caring for others, tu and tu again and again, this used to be called: elder abuse, but today is is great to bully the senior, to shame him/her....and I am pretty sick of it! 'Where is your mask?' Stand back, you're too close' 'I'll call the police'...Just on the 13th of March going forward, I spend a good part of the day trying to come up with the finest repost to these inane, stupefying remarks....

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Today I went for a walk with my grown daughter. A chipmunk came up to us, I put my finger down in front of it and it very gently hugged it with its tiny paws and then sniffed/kissed it. What an experience!

• LaurieLovesLearning

This story happened years ago, but I have never forgotten.

I was having the most sad & depressing, confusing day and decided to go out into the fresh air & lay on our hammock under the trees. Not long after came the most beautiful & delicate little male ruby throated hummingbird to hover closely for a while & sweetly make some little noises at me. Then he zipped away. A little while later, he made another quick visit and zipped away again. He never returned. I believe that he was a gift sent to ease my heartache.

I will never forget it. It was the most special thing. It was so unique & oddly timed. Even now, when I remember him, his short visits that day make me happy.

• andrea745
    andrea745 Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

I have to get out in nature everyday or I end up a very unhappy person. Luckily we live in Florida where there is sunshine almost all year. So walks in nature, lying on the lania with our pups, biking or teaching yoga outdoors. My husband is the gardener and spends hours digging in the dirt. I am the chef, medicine woman etc. I also have many other self care routines, mostly from the Ayurvedic tradition. I dry skin brush and do self massage with Vata balancing oils, I use a neti pot daily, eat most of my food in the middle of the day, meditate and almost never eat out. I like to control all my ingredients and put love and attention into my food preparation. I love this post. Thank you for starting it.... Namaste

• sunflowerstressrelief
    sunflowerstressrelief Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

Looks very refreshing and a great reminder to caregivers! Thank you!