Labeling Jars for Food Storage

Linda Bittle
Linda Bittle Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

i like to store my stuff in glass jars, and have generally taped package labels to the jars when I transfer something from a plastic bag into the jar. But that leaves a sticky mess when it's time to switch contents.

Today I had a really good idea! I'd acquired some of those paper card pockets that they used to put inside library books. I cut out the food labels and useful information, stuck them in a pocket, and attached the pocket to the jar with a big rubber band. Easy peasy.

I could cut down, or make a pocket if I ever run out of these nifty library ones! And the rubber band is recycled from a head of broccoli! My grandma would be proud.

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle I like your idea, but I am lazier than you. Below are photos of how I handled the issue.

Note that the Natural Grocers label peeled off their bag with enough glue left to attach to the outside of my jar.

• Linda Bittle

@shllnzl , that works, too!

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

An elder recently told me to use spray n wash to remove that tacky label glue. I had to buy the spray n wash (not ideal) but so far she is right! Works great!

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle that is a great idea!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost any oil, if allowed to soak in for a bit will remove adhesive as well. Either let it soak into the label, rub some into it by hand or use a paper towel or something like it laid over the adhesive and soak it in the oil. Almost always removes the adhesive though it does sometimes take a little effort but not much usually.

• Helen South Australia
    Helen South Australia Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

I like writing with a permanent marker on my jars. Washes off fairly easily when you wish to reuse the jar, and lasts well.

• Sharpie and blue painters' tape is my preferred method. The tape is not too tacky-- it is designed to come off without residue-- but it is sticky enough to stay on a jar indefinitely.

• fivelawrences
    fivelawrences Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

To remove the sticky residue, I use baking soda and enough coconut oil to make a paste. I just coat the sticky spot and let it sit for a few minutes. It works great. I do like to use the labels that dissolve in water to label my jars. They are amazing!

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

Just a note on labels for home canned goods: Last year we pressure canned green beans labeling them with the year canned. When we started to eat the beans, it seemed that they were noticeably less "cooked" than batches from previous years. Unfortunately, we had no "batch" designation on the bottles. Rather than take a chance on the beans being under cooked and dangerous -- we discarded all of them, losing the whole year's crop. This year, each cooker load will have its own identification. PS There are now baby beans on our plants.

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

Follow up note -- we planted quite a few green beans this year and the little baby green beans are about 1 1/2" long now. They are just so cute and will be ready to pick very soon.

• Linda Bittle

@KimWilson Is there anything better than baby green beans and new potatoes cooked up with a little salt and pepper and lots of butter?

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

We simply write the contents and year on a small sticky blank mailing label and apply it to the lid, not the jar.

Since canning lids are not reusable, we don't have to remove the sticky label. The glass jars remain clear and have no sticky gum residue.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

We do the "label on the inside/sharpie on the outside trick." For jams, my husband brought me a present of the labels that dissolve when you wash the jars. They are a bit expensive, so I might never have bought them for myself. However, they have been pretty amazing. I am not sure what it says when I am more excited about canning labels than a dozen roses, but my husband knows me well....