Welcome to the TGN Forums!

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@Welcome @AnnieKate from a fellow Canadian. I am in BC.

• KymWade
    KymWade Posts: 2 ✭✭✭

Hi, I live in Texas. Santa Fe to be specific (about 10 minutes from Galveston). I am very excited to learn about gardening, raising chickens and bees, I am also interested in canning. I live on 2 1/2 acres and I have always tried to have a small garden(especially tomatoes), but since flooding from hurricane Harvey in 2017 I have not done much gardening. I’m ready now and very excited to learn more!!

• Torey

Welcome @KymWade! I'm sure you will find lots of assistance here with gardening advice. Looking forward to what you have to share as well.

• Joette
    Joette Posts: 17 ✭✭✭

Welcome to TGN forums, @KymWade. I, too, live in a flood plane and had 8feet water in my yard during the Great Flood of 2016. Our little garden flooded, so we now have raised beds and hope we won’t experience that extreme flood again. For our chickens, we put a boat in their yard and they floated up and down on it. It’s all a memory now. We’re back to normal. So garden away.

• Deb113
    Deb113 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

Welcome @KymWade ! Hurricane Harvey did me in too. I grew lots of citrus trees in North Harris County, but my veggie gardening was kept to pots. (Fire ants, sandy soil). I had great luck with container gardening peppers, tomatoes and especially herbs. Good place to restart. Myself, I moved to Tennessee, soil still not good, but I have a better chance of traditional gardening. Good luck!

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Welcome, @KymWade! So glad you're here! :)

• Grounded
    Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

I have been a member now for a few weeks and I am very grateful for the opportunity to be a part of this organization. I have enrolled in a few certification courses and look forward to taking many more. I am Bill from the western suburbs of Chicago. We are going through a pretty good hot spell, although it is raining right now.

• Nicoleburba
    Nicoleburba Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

I have joined the grow network last year for the 101 Herbal medicine class. I enjoyed it very much. I was very happy when I got an email from Marjory Wildcraft that I was accepted to the TGN team. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to be a part of TGN!!!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Welcome! Now I'm craving a Chicago Red Hot... minus the relish.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

@Annie Kate Having four active kids, we've gone through our share of concussions. I had my first one when I was about 45 and remember thinking as I was turning heels over head while playing soccer "wow, this isn't as bad as watching my kids do this." Six months of headaches and other issues later, I went to my family doctor again who said it might be another six months to a year before I got better. Uh......NO!

I went to a homeopath the next day who gave me one remedy - just once. The next day my headache was gone and everything else returned to normal (my normal) within a week. Why oh why oh why did I wait so long? Oh that's right......I had a concussion and wasn't thinking straight. Plus, a good indication that one needs Arnica is when they say "I'm fine" when clearly they aren't.

We've had one bat to the head, one bike wreck, one roller skating fall, and at least three soccer concussions. Wouldn't want to be without Natrum Sulphuricum and/or Arnica close at hand for acute treatment of concussions, but I always follow-up with a trip to my homeopathic physician.

• Torey

@frogvalley So glad you have been introduced to homeopathy! Everyone should take note of this. Even if you never use another homeopathic remedy in your life, CARRY ARNICA WHEREVER YOU GO. It is almost "miraculous" to see how well Arnica can work for blunt force trauma and bruising. I have so many good stories of Arnica working so well. Prevents all sorts of complications when dealing with concussions.

• Torey

Welcome to TGN @GardenGrub. Great to have you join us.

• RachelWrites
    RachelWrites Posts: 20 ✭✭✭

Hi All!

I’m new and happy to be here! I’m a mom of two in suburban CO. Long time fan of the Weston A. Price Foundation and homesteading lifestyle. I can’t wait to have the space and absence of HOA to more fully live that way, but I’m trying to more with what I have.

I’ve got some containers going on the porch and hoping to get more going. Also interested in foraging and natural building.

Looking forward to following these forums and getting to know you all! 😁

PS where can I find information on in-person events? Marjorie mentioned one coming up this month in Colorado.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Welcome to our community @BeeJoyful! It is good to hear that you are starting to "bloom where you're planted."

I will tag @Marjory Wildcraft! She should have the best idea where she is headed! 😄

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Hi @BeeJoyful welcome, welcome! I've loved the work of Sally Fallon for many years. That woman has a backbone!

Congrats on the container plants.

We do have an in person training coming up in Paonia, CO in a few weeks. We rarely do these kinds of events... but I do love to get to meet TGN members in person. The training is called "When There is No Doctor" and is full of really great medical skills.

Welcome again! Oh, and put up a profile photo so I can easily recognize it's you!

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone!

I live in north-east Arizona. It is not the hot (Phoenix) part of the state, but is on the top of the highest monocline in the US that I know of. I live in what is called the "White Mountains." That was actually really strange and funny to me because when I moved here -- I could see no mountains anywhere. Actually we live at about 5600 feet above sea level which is a huge increase in elevation from the Phoenix area. Anyway -- it appears that where I live is kind of like the top of a huge flat plateau.

I have a couple of favorite ways to garden and grow food and medicinal herbs. The first is in raised beds using the square foot gardening method. With the way I garden, there is very little weeding involved and the crops seem absolutely astounding given the small amount of actual ground that is involved. My raised beds are 4' across max and have a trellis down the center.

My second favorite way of gardening is in containers. In both of these methods, it is easy peasy to control soil amendment, weeding, and the watering issue.

If I had two wishes, they would be 1. to live in a beautiful spot by the ocean somewhere. AND 2. I would like a really great pen pal. All our children are grown and I, being high risk for covid 19, am living in a part of the house that is separate from my husband who has to work with the public. I sew, cook, paint watercolors, read, write, make medicinals and lotions from my own home grown botanicals, and have made more soap and such than I can even comprehend. I worked to retirement age and have traveled a bit. I have no problem keeping very busy, but do miss people terribly these days.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the tip on getting calcium to my tomatoes, @GardenGrub!

I have had occasional blossom end rot, though my real tomato problem is verticillium wilt. If you or anyone else has a tip for minimizing the damage due to verticillium wilt (other than the standard "grow resistant [hybrid] varieties"), I'd certainly appreciate hearing it.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited July 2020

@KimWilson Welcome! I have enjoyed reading your contributions already. I love the old sewing machine in your picture!

I enjoy writing, but am not sure that I would be your perfect penpal. Hopefully you can find a perfect one here!

I almost decided to go to a school in Phoenix once when I was younger, but that was just not the right direction for my life at the time. I wonder sometimes what that may have been like.

I am really not sure how I would have done in the hot, dry climate. I think I'd still like to visit, but I think that I would miss my familiar Canadian prairie land, weather, wildlife & variety of landscape/trees & plants just a bit too much. I would miss the fantastic winter snows & even the harsh cold. I am not a hot weather person. I melt. Haha

I am not that far from the Canadian Shield either, which is also so beautiful also in it's own way.

• Joette

Hi, @KimWilson , you sound like a lovely, interesting lady. I, too, am in the ‘high risk’ category for COVID-19, stay home, garden, and am a watercolorist, too. There is a SW Watercolor society you may find a ‘Zoom group’ with. My daughter had traveled out west recently. I asked her to find me a chapparal bush or seeds at farmers’ markets. She asked around and came home empty handed. I later discovered it’s more commonly referred to as creosote bush. I am looking for a mail order source if you know of any. In the meantime, hang in there. This, too, shall pass. By the way, I live in Louisiana, hot and humid.

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

@Joette Hi there. I think that "creosote" or "chapparal" grow in the Phoenix area. I live in an area that is about 3 1/2 hours drive from that kind of foliage. We get snow in the winter time and it is much more mild year round than down in the Phoenix valley. We have been about 20 degrees cooler lately on a pretty regular basis. I used to live in Arkansas and absolutely loved it there. I guess that my love of gardening was a big factor in just how much I loved Arkansas. I felt that just about anything would just spontaneously grow there.

• Joette

Hi, @KimWilson , thank you for responding. Just about anything grows here as well, extreme hot and humid at times. However, with a plant from Arizona, I’d have to rely on either the greenhouse or pot plants.

• GardenGrub
    GardenGrub Posts: 11 ✭✭✭

I wish I did Cathy. I'm dealing with that right now. 😒😀

• Torey

@Joette You can get Chapparal seeds at Strictly Medicinal Seeds. https://strictlymedicinalseeds.com/product/chaparral-larrea-tridentata-packet-of-50-seeds/ Good information on this page as well. Suggests growing it as a potted bonsai outside of its native range.

• moreyshadypines
    moreyshadypines Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

@GardenGrub great pic of taking your chickens for a walk. Moving to different temperature zone involves a large learning curve. Being involved in this forum really reduces that - the exchange is invaluable. The classes are a big help as well. You certainly "self teach", but that trial and error is very time consuming, time is a commodity most people (including me) are short of, and the seasons come and go very quickly.

Not many people discuss "food forests", I have one as well ~ that is a long term project with "now" benefits. Good for you, perhaps you could share more of that.

Welcome!

• moreyshadypines
    moreyshadypines Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

@KimWilson good to hear from you. I loved the sewing machine accent in your garden. As a graphic designer, farmer, permaculture gardener - I often blend hardscapes and crazy artsy crafts into my gardens, they make me smile. Mission accomplished. Keep up learning and then sharing - its good to share your experiences with people who can appreciate them. :)

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Hi, My (long) name is Elizabeth Ann Patterson, American Indian, mostly lived in Quebec, Canada, lot of snow, going barefoot also here (summer), walking my dog Gypsy-16y/o but seems young, a Tibetan-spaniel, sleepy guy, small apartment, 3 1/2 next to a park, Terra Cotta ..Pointe-Claire, near Montreal....small garden for many years -15? Once I pulled up all the carrots, at the spot my Grandma was picking weeds (I was 4), and God is always with me, (my aunt arrived at just that moment and brought me to swim)...Grandma was just hitting her forehead with her hand, saying 'God help us and preserve us!' I wld sit next to her and pick the peas for dinner, tiny garden she had in the city...she was born on a farm, Chaffey's Locke and moved to city (Montreal-Westmount) at 13.

Used to being alone, raised my own children (3), then my daughter's (4), but did teach for a while....wanted to homeschool but my son said: 'I won't have any friends,' so I sent them off (to public school) I cut out many things (to eat) TGN likes very much, starting abt 15 years ago, it is starchy and greens or Gbombs of Dr. Fuhrman-greens, beans, onions, mushrooms, seeds...Juicing with Gerson at first, had a good reason to start this: a stroke at 55, paralyzed left side, 77 now, knee was bad for long time, pain, but all is well now..so many to help me, Braggs, NHA, Lalanne, Esselstyne, Ornish, Goldhammer, I follow them all, and as a youngster was starting journalism, now into it very much, researching all day long, this gardening is a favourite, so needed for my state of mind, improving my mood at all times...what was the question? Hahaha!

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I am original from Seattle, and now live about an hour north of the city. We have an small amount of acreage, just under 5 acres. We have lived here around 30 years. We haven't done much on the property, until now. I've been planting trees for several years from the county conservation district plant sales, since it is mostly an open field and I would like to make it a bit more wildlife friendly. Although the local wildlife has found us anyway. We have quite a few deer in the neighborhood, which makes it hard to plant things and not have them chomp it down right away. I keep telling them to let it be and it will provide for them in the future, but they don't listen. So the last couple of years we have been trying to grow our own vegetable garden. This year my husband got feed up with trying to plant veggies and have them almost all get eaten, so we are in the process of putting in a fenced vegetable garden. We"re working on the raised beds and green house.

This discussion has been closed.