I thought that I had COVID 19, tested negative, have serious urinary tract infection, any help?

Grounded
Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in General Health

Last Friday, well may have been brewing for some time now, I came down with flue type symptoms that came and went, headache, muscle soreness, fatigue, frequent peeing, intermittent pain while peeing. Was tested for COVID 19 on Sunday, which came back negative. I was found to have contracted a severe urinary tract infection. My daughter recommended AZO and I started drinking diluted cranberry juice. Pain went away somewhat and after a virtual appointment with my doctor, was prescribed ciprofloxacin 500 mg, one every 12 hours for 10 days, starting this past Monday. Question, what, if anything could I be taking along with the ciproflozacin to move this along? On some fronts I am feeling remarkably better, but I continue to have a wicked sinus headache and some fatigue. Maybe I am giving too much information and I am not looking for a diagnosis, just something that might naturally supplement the prescription medicine.

Best Answers

Answers

• Grounded

Thank you, Shinzl for your answer. I have been drinking diluted cranberry juice while upping my water consumption since Saturday morning and it has taken away the painful excretion and helped with better flow, however. other symptoms are slower to dissipate. What I did not realize were the variety of other flu-like symptoms that can accompany a UTI and am wondering if there were any herbs that might be helpful in that area?

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@attydennis1 you can try any anti inflammatory or mucous membrane soothing herbs such as marshmallow and I do white willow bark tincture for anti inflammatory.

• Grounded

Thank you Imrebert, The D-mannose seems like it will be my initial strategy and see how it goes, so to speak.

• lmrebert

@attydennis1 Good luck, its a very painful thing I'm sorry you're going through it! I felt so helpless until I finally got my answers to a chronic issue!! I'm a nurse and I've working in Urology, when I was told "neurogenic bladder" my heart sunk because they (Western Medicine) don't have answers for people like me, but he fixed it and I'm so grateful and relieved! I have tried everything under the sun with no long term solution. Hopefully this is a one and done for you!!

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Chanca Piedra (Phyllanthus) is amazing! It is also called Stone Breaker, however one doesn't need to have a stone to benefit from the herbal actions on the urinary tract, bladder, liver, gall bladder, kidney and a host of issues brought on by their impaired workings.

Kidney stones can bring on many of the symptoms you describe. After passing out in the hospital emergency room, I started taking Stone Breaker (as a single herb and also in combinations) to dissolve my 3/4 inch stone while waiting for the lithotripsy procedure. During the three month wait, the pain left and the stone dribbled while having lunch at an upscale restaurant out without any fanfare or bites missed.

OMG! How could this be? You know, I didn't care how it happened because the morphine they put me on in the hospital was addictive and I just wanted to be free -free from the pain, the drug, the worry.

Kidney stones can be caused by Candida and we all know that Candida symptoms aren't straight forward. Chanca Piedra has a special place next to my bed, in my purse and on my shelf. I take it as I remember and am good to go - literally. It is a diuretic, however I find that it is much less so than Echinacea and I can even sleep through the night if I take it at bedtime.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Welcome, @frogvalley. This is a new herb to me that I will have read more about.

• sarah785
    sarah785 Posts: 10 ✭✭✭

I agree, D-Mannose really works.

• lmrebert

@frogvalley wow!! I’ve never hear DC if that herb and can’t wait to do some research!! Thank you for that!!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Welcome to TGN @frogvalley You've got us all doing research! I have heard of the genus in homeopathy and Ayurveda but neither are the same species and both appear to be used for different symptoms than stones.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the welcome @torey.

There is a saying in Homeopathy dealing with an acute situation - "if you don't have the right strength remedy, use whatever strength you have." Many times the same applies to herbs and the various species. If you only have Echinacea Purpurea, but are used to Echinacea Angustifolia, you may want to try it. Many (although not all) species have the same properties and a quick internet search will help decision making. Just because India has thousands of years using one plant, that doesn't necessarily mean a different species in the USA can't be used for the same symptoms. It just means we may not have experience using it, it hasn't been written about or using it for other purposes is outside of our wheelhouse.

Magnolia Grandiflora for instance is used in China for "digestion" and the "insomnia." Until recently, it hasn't been used in the USA. Honokiol and Magnolol are two polyphenols in Magnolia that are my personal BFF's in a cancer protocol, but differ according to species. If I had cancer and there was a Magnolia tree of any species outside of my house, I'd be asking it to help me.

• Grounded

This is very cool. I got more information in less than 12 hours, on this forum, than I got over the past 6 days, including the conversations I had with two different doctors, Yeah!

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I have been having UTI like symptoms but every time I go have my urine tested it comes back negative for and infection. I need to figure out what is going on because it is very uncomfortable to say the least.

• kchiarini
    kchiarini Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

@attydennis1 , I didn't notice your post until just now. I'm new and still trying to figure my way around.

I had a UTI that brought me to my knees!!!!! I live mostly holistically and refused to take Cipro. But I was so sick, I couldn't function. So, I broke down and took it. I also took cranberry tablets and within two hours, I was feeling better. Not sure if it was the Cipro or the cranberry tablets, but it worked. I think the tablets are much more concentrated than drinking the juice.

I see you are feeling better as of today. Very happy to hear that. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy!

• kchiarini
    kchiarini Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

@marjstratton , I had the same problem - UTI symptoms but negative for a UTI. Turns out I had Interstitial cystitis . There is a procedure to see if you have it. I came back positive, but refused to take the drugs. It went away on its own. I was lucky. I think the body wants to heal itself. That's why we must be kind to it, as I am sure you are.

• lmrebert

@kchiarini interstitial cystitis is terrible! When I worked in urology women would be crying and begging for help, the only treatment they offered was BCG which was also a form of chemo to "calm the inflammation" in the bladder, even then before I was into natural healing this did not seem like a reasonable option, but its all they had. I'm glad your symptoms subsided!

• Grounded

Now that this bout of UTI is behind me, I feel very lucky for it to have subsided as quickly as it did. Thank you all for your advice and support.

• aurora.rebecca
    aurora.rebecca Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

If it happens again make onion soup, drink lot of thyme tea (antiseptic will flush affected area on the way out) [I also added yarrow and St. John’s wort, have read dandelion flowers are helpful as well), baking soda or apple cider vinegar or lemon water in the morning and night- your body is too acidic and this helps balance your ph, sitting in warm water with baking soda or apple cider vinegar will help with the discomfort, I had also tried a warm onion compress externally around the bladder/uterine

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

I'm sorry, I am reading this too late but in the future DO NOT TAKE CIPRO. It can cause serious joint and nerve damage (look up "floxxing"). If you absolutely need an antibiotic, use something that is much safer like penicillin. Avoid all fluorquinolone antibiotics (Cipro, Levaquin, Avalox, etc.) Colloidal silver can also help with infections.

• stephanie447

Odd that someone would vote down a warning like this one. Perhaps it was an accident. But please look up "floxxing" if you don't believe me. These antibiotics are very dangerous.

• Grounded

@stephanie447 I did not intend to vote down your response. I must have bumped it inadvertently. I have looked-up floxxing and it scared the heck out of me.

• stephanie447

No worries...I was thinking it might be an accident, but I just saw the downvote in my dashboard, and thought I would point it out just because these drugs are so scary. :-(

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

We use D-mannose. Our cat was dribbling urine and drops of blood in his litterbox. We had him to the vet but her treatments didn't seem to help. I had done some research and came across it and asked if she thought it might work for him. She didn't. We tried it anyway. We mixed it into the wet food he likes so much, and thank God within a few days he was urinating normally again and back to his old self. From then on if we suspected he may be starting with one we gave it to him and he hasn't had issues in a long time. Since then if I think I may be starting with one I add D-mannose into my tea and it goes no further. I love the stuff and can't recommend it enough.