Anyone else gaining weight since COVID broke?

RustBeltCowgirl
RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in COVID-19/Coronavirus

I am facing the fact that I've regained the weight I lost prior to COVID. I readily admit that I stress eat. I'm also feeling "trapped". Lately, I've described things to friends as "my collar is getting tighter and my chain is getting shorter".

Anyone else dealing with it?

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took me six months of HARD exercise to lose 5 pounds, and of course the weight went back on immediately.

Food is a pleasure we can give ourselves. None of us should feel guilty for enjoying anything that does not harm others, as long as we don't hurt ourselves too much in the process.

At the time, I considered that if I were to die from Covid, I would have been glad to have eaten the ice cream. Also, I have been eating more restaurant food to help keep the small businesses alive.

I am back to my exercise and mostly trying to eat right. Most of the weight on my body is now muscle -- maybe, eventually, the numbers on the scale will go down.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I stress eat as well, but had been gaining a lot of weight, unfortunately, even before all of this due to other huge life stresses. We eat real food here, but due to my knees (I can re-hurt them with very little provocation due to a torn medial meniscus in both), back, & wrists, it restricts what I can do. This doesn't help.

I have been trying to get in some walking lately in spite of my knees. It has been hard though because of the explosion of extremely persistent clouds of mosquitoes, even in the high heat of midday. Nothing much seems to deter them.

Unfortunately, I can't blame my weight gain on the virus.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

At first since my gym closed I started to gain a couple of pounds but I tend to lose weight when I do my own cooking and eat less processed so that has helped. Also since I am no longer working (I was laid off in June) I am moving more like working in the yard and cleaning so that is helping as well.

• shllnzl

@LaurieLovesLearning I had aching knees for years, without any known injuries. I was surprised to get rid of most of the discomfort by going to "barefoot" style shoes. I would recommend that anyone with bad knees try a different type of shoes.

• Nicoleburba
    Nicoleburba Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Oh, yes I gained some weight as well. Working from home, and the refrigerator is always too close. :))

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

It doesn't help if you make good food nor if your daughter (or son) is a great & willing baker! 🤪

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 577 admin

Ask @Marjory Wildcraft about that one. 😉

• kchiarini
    kchiarini Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl , you are not alone, my GN friend! Being stuck at home, not moving, eating more, blah blah blah. How could we not? And I have some gym equipment downstairs, so what's my excuse, except laziness. The question now is: how do we get rid of it? Well, I can tell you, I saw a nutritionist yesterday (fully masked of course), and have realized, in addition to her food suggestions (no dairy, no gluten, no rice due to my inflammation), she suggested I begin a log to PLAN my food for the week. I do keep a food journal daily but I jot in it after I eat. This way, I will have the expectation of what I will eat, with no deviation. Or I will try. I do know that planning is the key to many things, and this is coming from a very spontaneous person, but I know being spontaneous doesn't always work. So, my friend, I suggest this to you...today is begins for me. Will you join me to take some step, even if it isn't the food planning log?

• RustBeltCowgirl

@kchiarini I'm always up for a little company. I fortunately am not stuck at home. I was the only one in my office that wasn't able to work from home. I was chasing inventory at the factory. Kinda hard to do that at home. I need to learn that just because I'm unhappy I don't have to stick food in my mouth. I need to stock my desk (and office fridge) with nutritious stuff.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I'm afraid I have the opposite problem. I don't eat when I am stressed. So I have been losing weight. My stress is coming from other sources as well as the current health crisis so I can't blame it all on COVID. I am trying to find something nutritious to eat when I do eat something, but I'm still not getting all my RDA of nutrients. I am resorting to taking some supplements which I rarely do, but we must try to keep our bodies functioning optimally. These nutrients are important for mental health as well. So even if you have been eating (a lot), make sure you are getting your adequate nutrition, not just empty calories.

The idea of a food log is a great one.

I really sympathise with people who have pain issues and are not able to exercise without creating more pain and inflammation. Even though I am losing weight at the moment, I tend to run on the heavy side and I find the exercise that helps me the most besides walking is going to the pool. I swim laps as well as sometimes take part in aqua-sises. There is so much less pain when exercising in water. But that isn't an option for most of us right now.

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have good suggestions on how to actually lose some weight? I have to cook every day for my husband who works with the public, but am isolated because I am high risk. The stresses generated by living the covid lifestyle are a killer. I can always find projects and/or work to keep busy, but am having a dickins of a time trying to stay relatively happy and upbeat. All of these stresses are wreaking havoc with coping.

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Oh, yes. I am developing pudge in places I’ve never had it. 😬 I have been baking a bit more and trying out other dessert recipes. I guess I need to cut back- or at least make lower fat recipes. I’ve been using quite a bit of full fat coconut milk.

Ive been planning on taking the girls on bike rides with the trailer, but I screwed up my back last week and have had to postpone the biking plans.

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I want to jump in, for it is very many years now I concentrate on health and a good weight - losing over a hundred lbs, from 290-160, now off ten years-trick 1....environment-have NOTHING in your house that is not exacly your nutrient-rich best: 'in your house, in your mouth' and 2. read the Pleasure Trap, by Goldhammer and Lisle, for therein is no guilt, u r made (we r all made) to seek the most calorie-rich food, to fill up on it and now it is at our fingertips-hence trick no. 1...3. cut out things easily, gladly-u can spend a few days only decrying the loss....exercise is tricky in itself, does not promote weight loss, while losing weight: better to just do something light u do enjoy (these days, our (lovely, huge) pools r all closed, that is a pity-but the chloride and 500 other chemicals r not suitable for weight loss either, entering throughout our skin area) No. 4 trick-try out the infra-red sauna, mine is just a tent-like portable sauna, toxins fly off u with the sweat, collagen is built up, weight loss within this also...Ten years ago I started Gerson Therapy -for prevention, I had nothing seriously wrong; juicing and adding smoothies later, leaving the Gerson (as it is best for those truly multi-diseased or gravely ill-Gerson says this....then, there is Chris beat Cancer, I joined his 'square one' program, McDougall, of course, Esselstyne, Ornish, I watch a lot of summits and chefs, cook all the time, most organized now, happy and fun it is, and the weight does not return, that is the best! Should I go up a lb or so, or my ankle is swelling (a telling sign) I cut out the pasta, bread or whatever the culprit and move on-never a guilt trip, that is not me! This Covid is a terrible thing, the restrictions I mean, but not for me- for I discovered I needed to stay home, taking the time to plan, cook, organize -at my age of 77, those long days in town were tiring me out and made organizing a nightmare...'Don't stand so...don't stand so, don't stand so close to me' was a fav song, so this is not bad (at 6'), but the CIA brought this in as torture in the fifties, great to break down prisoners they said, so there is a cautionary note abt all this 'formula' we see....did u c that Gates has a 'mother's milk formula'? What next?

• shllnzl

@KimWilson The stress of these times causes our bodies to retain calories. I am exercising, trying to eat mostly right, and then spending time in mental escapes. That said, I am still overweight, yet I can say I am physically fit.

Most tv shows these days have depressing themes, whether depressing future sci-fi, or dramas with depressing, unlikable characters. I want to watch comedies, nature shows or something with an upbeat plot.

I like escapist reading and am carefully avoiding psychological thrillers with evil terrorists or serial killers.

Crafts are good if they require my full attention.

Music of all types help my mood, even the blues music.

We also have our loved ones and pets to cuddle.

Keep up the good fight -- know that the rest of us are right there with you.

• RustBeltCowgirl

@Jannajo If I were only dealing with myself, it would be a lot easier. I could stock the house with the more beneficial foods. But, I have a father who has become somewhat of a picky eater and likes sweets. A wheelchair bound, diabetic mother on dialysis who throws tantrums when I refuse to bring her "treats". Not an easy situation to cope with. Just another added stress factor in my life.

• shllnzl

@RustBeltCowgirl I feel for you. Caretaker duties are too tough, Covid19 makes the situation worse. If I lived nearby, I would do something nice for you. All I can do is send you good thoughts.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

I had a colleague who said her doctor told her that while exercise was good for her heart, the way to control her weight was by being careful what she put in her mouth. I didn't really believe it at the time, but I've since found that saying to be generally true for me, as well. (I say "generally" because I do think exercise can be helpful, as long as it's supplemental and not used as an excuse to just eat more. Been there, done that. :D) I did the program Noom about a year ago, and it has been very effective in helping me lose weight and keep it off. (Well, most of it. I have gained about five pounds back since this whole stay-at-home thing started. I've had to relearn how to keep my pantry stocked with fresh fruits and veggies with much less frequent trips to the grocery store. But I'm getting there....)

• RustBeltCowgirl

Thank you so much for the positive thoughts. Just to care for her and maintain her medical schedule, Dad and I have to tag-team. Dad at 87 is such a trooper. Still running his own business.

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

We were doing well on low-carbing prior to the Covid outbreak. Now, I have gained a few pounds back. We are snacking more and eating cookies in the evening... Oh well, motivation will happen again.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl Between COVID, a kidney stone and STRESS!!! I have unfortunatly gotten COVID 21. I had successfully lost those 21 pounds with a low carb eating plan and was actually wearing the suits I purchased in the mid 1980's (tells yo a little bit about my sense of style, or lack there of) Yesterday when I got dressed for church, the pants for the suit I had when I was at my highest weight were a little difficult to fasten. And when I went for my presurgical appointment last week, I was told my blood pressure was too high and I needed to get it down in order to have the surgery. The blood pressure, hernia and surgery to correct it have me motivated to get back on track.

• RustBeltCowgirl

@tomandcara Are you doing okay? Mid 80's suits....nothing wrong with vintage.

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

How do y'all clean your store bought fruits and veggies? I have been growing lettuce and salad greens in the house since this whole covid thing began, but occasionally I would really like things like store bought grapes.

• tomandcara

@RustBeltCowgirl I am doing okay. Life ha challenges and I am grateful that I am able to complain!!

• GardenMama
    GardenMama Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Absolutely. Though I tend to stop eating under serious stress which triggers the whole "grab everything and hold it" response from my body when I do eat something. And in the beginning when I was eating it wasnt the best options.

Now I'm trying to be significantly more conscious of making sure I eat and that its nourishing.

Itll work itself out eventually

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl There is one thing for sure-your Mum and dad cld regain their heealth if u got serious and put on the table ...only what u choose yrself, not their wishes...not easy, but with just two weeks, diabetes medicine no longer needed, weight down, no more high blood pressure or chronic diseases, so many elderly do well! Problem if u have not yourself stayed on the good course for a while, but with motivation, all is possible-see my ideas below:

@KimWilson I have ended up jumping for joy, fully free of physical worries or problems. It is really very simple, put nothing in your mouth not the best for u, think of health-the weight comes off, stays off. However, the catch is: takes time to get completely organized and having routine, but gd part: it is all fun (& smooth)...just what I do, all of it important (& new for me at the start-over ten yrs now!) U r going to be so busy in the kitchen, the days will fly by-seriously, with a little internet, time is up (before u know it-for early bed is part of our strategy)..Eat up, as u please, for all is lower calorie, as in fruits, vegs, starchy or root vegs, every green u ever heard of, even if u do not grow them, huge salads (buy a new bowl, add everything there is, a real meal), much starch-keeps u full, the best,exercise is fine-for fun, what u enjoy only, only once the weight is gone, or lower at the least. Milions of things to enjoy -to stop inflammation, stop meat (it is too spoiled today, though some try to be kind, it is too far gone, I think, no fibre, full of fat-u don't need-use nuts or avocado) and no dairy -huge experiment in China showed it is very bad for u, The China Study, Campbell, PhD. Endothelial cells is a biggy with Dr. Esselstyne, running through all our srteries, and what we do is to keep them in great condition, easy to learn abt it, fun, too -on youtube the Esselstyne daughter, mother and son, with the doctor himself, very easy for u...

@tomandcara as per above, pls enjoy carbs to the hilt and lose all the weight u never thought possible - 100 for me! And I eat and eat all the time-greens go right through u, cleaning up all the microbiome, it is miraculous! Starches r excellent, for I must be full to be sure of not splurging on anything-and nothing is in my house that will hurt my weight loss...if it creeps in, or I misjudge (taking too much avocado or nuts or dried fruits) I limit them severely and tweak my excellent plan -for weight loss (& unlike anything keto)for HEALTH. Take the plunge and change! Nothing like today -and it pays off, so very quickly!

• tomandcara

@Jannajo Thank you for the words of encouragement. My biggest challenge may just be staying positive and keeping my head out of my attitude.

• rbusby01
    rbusby01 Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

I gained back my weight too! I guess I ate too much and didn't move enough cause of the stress. I'm working on reversing course though :)