pea planting row configuration

solarnoon.aspen
solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Vegetables

I've been experimenting with pea row configurations - comparing the area taken by two straight rows and a two-three foot wide row randomly scattered with peas. I believe the harvest is significantly larger from the random, wide row, since many more plants grow in the same footprint as the straight rows that have space between. I like that but.....

It is utterly impossible to weed in the random plot as every time I grab one, I am also pulling on a pea plant. It takes a patient person to pick them from the random configuration as the bushes are impossible to support as they grow so they fall over each other.

Still, sticking to the wi(l)de random row for now.

What experiences have you had with this?

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

I'm not sure why but always plant my peas in a zig zag pattern. So if I put my trellis in a bed, I plant either side, fit more pea seeds in, therefore more plants. As soon as the seeds germinate and are 2-3 inches high, mulch and hardly have to weed while they're growing. Love peas, snow, sugar snap, telephone, doesn't matter.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

I tried the same one year. Planting was easy.

Weeding was difficult. I also found that my harvest was less (much to my dismay). But, I believe this was due to many factors, too much clay in the soil (this varies considerably in our garden), maybe too much shade. Possibly my seed wasn't as good as I thought it was. I believe it was a bit older seed.

Considering, I figured that double row planting on either side of a support fence was the best choice.