Ivyleaf Speedwell (Veronica hederifolia)

Megan Venturella
Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Growing Medicinals

I found some info on another common weed I’ve never heard of!!! So exciting to me.

Have any of you seen it or tried it? Most of the information I found about it was lists of chemicals proven to get rid of it on university sites.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I was not familiar with the medicinal benefits of speedwell so you put me on a search. Veronica officinalis is the species in my neck of the woods and it has become an invasive in some areas.

This is a quote from A Modern Herbal by Maude Grieve. "The plant has diaphoretic, alterative, diuretic, expectorant and tonic properties, and was formerly employed in pectoral and nephritic complaints, haemorrhages, diseases of the skin and in the treatment of wounds. Modern herbalists still consider that an infusion of the dried plant is useful in coughs, catarrh, etc., and is a simple and effective remedy in skin diseases."

This is a link to the American Botanical Council's info on Veronica. Not too much here and they have it listed in Scrofulariaceae but it has now been classified as Plantaginaceae. Really wish they would stop changing things around from family to family. http://cms.herbalgram.org/commissione/Monographs/Monograph0369.html

Sounds like it makes a great alterative. .

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Interesting...Veronica persica (aka birds-eye speedwell) is one of the first plants I identified on my property years ago and I failed to dig deeper into the uses for it. I was under the impression that it was not useable and I can't remember why now. I will be doing a bit more research now because I have quite the patch growing happily in a corner of my garden. I left her because she was pretty and gave me joy.