Do you seed cycle?

blevinandwomba
blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Seed Saving & Fall Prep

In case you are not familiar, seed cycling is eating certain seeds daily for hormone balance. There isn't much scientific evidence, though lots of anecdotal from women who have found it helpful. Typically, you take a tablespoon each of ground pumpkin seeds and flax seeds during the menstrual and follicular phase, and a tablespoon each of ground sunflower and sesame during the ovulatory and luteal phase. This is the a very helpful explanation. https://naturalfitfoodie.com/seed-cycling/

I've been doing it for over a year now. It seems to help, though I also have changed up my diet, so it's difficult to tell sometimes what is "working." I don't eat the flax seeds though- I think I reacted badly to them when I tried it. My favorite way with the sunflower/sesame is to grind them up with some kind of nut, salt, and nutritional yeast and use it as a cheesy sprinkle. Often I use brazil nuts, as I eat 2-3 daily for the selenium.

Anyone else have any experience with it?

Comments

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't tried it but I will say the more I cleaned up my diet ( which was never that bad compared to most people) the more I could tell how specific foods affected me. If it seems to be working I'd keep it up :)

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Sound interesting although I've never heard of it. Could it be the increase of essential fatty acids? Too many variables I think to know, but I'm with @annbeck62 - if it's working, I'd keep it up.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

@frogvalley the fatty acids, lignans, and vitamins in the seeds help prevent excess estrogen and promote progesterone. At least, that is what is supposed to happen.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

@blevinandwomba Ah ha! good to know something to prevent excess estrogen and promote progesterone.