Mulching the garden

Dani
Dani Posts: 27 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Composting & Soil Fertility

I am super stoked, we finally got some straw. For the last 2 years straw was next to impossible to find and/or it was too expensive. This year I can finally mulch my garden and save myself a whole lot of time. We managed to find a very affordable 800 pound bail. From what it looks like I will be able to do most if not all of my garden.

Comments

• Sheila
    Sheila Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Just finished mulching my garden with oat straw. Love that is saves on weeding and watering! and for the occasional sprout - I get a few oat groats in the late summer ;)

• John
    John Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

Been thinking of doing this and you have helped convince me-super hot weather here in NW Wisconsin is causing a weed bonanza!

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

we have 20 wooded acres...yesterday I was walking and realized just how much forest mulch we have available. It has me thinking now, would there be any reason not to use it in the garden? Thinking i could go into the deepest areas and load up some of the broken down material into the minitruck to mulch the garden.

• dianne.misspooz
    dianne.misspooz Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

Lucky you! I wish I had that opportunity. Unfortunately, I've got a tiny property of the worst soil... which isn't really soil but mostly sand. I get my organic material anywhere I can find it.