OH MY GOSH! I grew LETTUCE!

Paradox
Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Vegetables

Okay, it may not seem like a big accomplishment for many of you.. but I have NEVER (in 30+ years of on/off gardening) been able to grow lettuce FROM SEED. Until this year!

Not only did i get some that grew as seedlings from a free packet that I got from Baker Creek, I found some of the same variety that I had planted, no kidding, on Memorial weekend growing between my strawberries. (that's where I planted them, at least) NONE Of the other varieties that I tried (4-5 types) sprouted, let alone grew, but this one (Parris Island Cos, I think it was), seems to be doing well. I don't know what's so different, other than it's brand new seed. But I'm so excited, and I had to share with folks that would understand.

Anyone have a surprise plant this year? I also spotted a couple of corn plants in one (very weedy) bed, and told my husband, "I don't remember planting corn there....."

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Congrats! My surprise this year is borage. I haven't seen it in there for a few years.

Considering we had fed chickens in pens the garden area over a few years, it should not have been a surprise either to have some thick & beautiful stands of wheat. There are no weeds in that wheat, but they are everywhere else.

• Paradox

yeah, I just found a very small patch of a grain that is nearly ready, far as I can tell.. but I didn't plant it, so I'm not at all sure what it is! Oats or wheat, I would guess.

• rayerodgers
    rayerodgers Posts: 13 ✭✭✭

Congratulations! I had passion flower spring up in our garden bed, next to the corn..

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

@Paradox If you post a picture, I could tell you what it is.

• kchiarini
    kchiarini Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

@Paradox , it IS a big thing. I can certainly understand and feel your excitement. Congratulations! I would love to see a picture of the fruits of your labor! Keep up the good work. I'm inspired! Makes me think there's hope for me yet! :)

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

I am so happy for you Paradox! I TOTALLY understand!

• Paradox

Hubby was 'super helpful' and pulled all of the seed heads before I could take an in-situ picture. According to iNaturalist, it's some kind of grain. :P Duh. I knew that. Perhaps while rye? but the seed i pulled looked more like a wheat kernel to me.

Will post another pic soon as I have it.

Also discovered ground cherries growing that I don't think I planted... I'm so grateful for God's help in the garden!

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a tremendous number of different varieties of lettuce out there. I've had a wide range of results from different varieties. No surprise that some worked well and some failed.

Try a whole bunch and stick with the ones that work best in your soil and climate.