CSA Program Questions

Ethereal Earth
Ethereal Earth Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

I searched through various threads and didn't really find what I was looking for in regards to CSA's. I just discovered one in Vegas that seems interesting, but since I am moving soon am unsure of enrolling. I know when I move that is something I want to invest in.

Has anyone here participated in a CSA? What are some features you look out for? Can you tell me about your experience? Really just looking to get more information on the whole process.

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I joined a CSA the year before I moved away from Las Vegas. (I don't remember the name at the moment.) The farm produced food every time, but often the vegetables were misshapen, etc. The reality is that a gardener would get defective or stunted food from their own gardens as well.

Usually you buy a "share" and then meet to receive a portion of the farmer's harvest.

• Ethereal Earth

@shllnzl The one I am looking at seems to be fairly new, established or started 2020. I think there was another one I ran across but cannot find it on instagram again to look further into it.

I was already looking at the Imperfect Foods type subscription boxes and have been a life long gardener/grew up on garden foods so I don't care about appearance as long as they are good tasting.

How was your experience with the CSA you joined?

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ethereal Earth My experience was fine, although at times I was searching for recipes to use unfamiliar vegetables. They provided recipes too. There should be at least a couple of CSAs in the Las Vegas area.

• Nancy A.Maurelli
    Nancy A.Maurelli Posts: 44 ✭✭✭

I have purchased my food via CSA on and off since mid-1990's (when the CSA concept was just getting traction in the U.S.). It is a way that people can invest in their local farmer/s by providing the up-front capital (buying share/s) for the farmer to purchase seeds, soil amendments, labor, etc.). In exchange, the grower provides a fair portion of the harvest to the shareholders. There is also an element of "shared risk" of the growing process... so no guarantee of pretty gourmet veggies or picture perfect fruit, etc.

2020 is my fifth year OFFERING my products via the CSA model. I love having committed, enthusiastic, regular customers to share the harvest with, AND not having to stand at a hot, crowded farmers market speculatively. SO if you have the chance to participate in a trustworthy CSA, I highly recommend it. It's good for you and also good for the grower.

• Ethereal Earth

@Nancy A.Maurelli Thank you for the information! I would much prefer that then a subscription box where the food comes from who knows where. I will be moving to San Diego so I am sure there will be plenty to pick from. Is there like a site where these are advertised or is google the best bet?

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ethereal Earth Here's a link to my local CSA for you to look at:

I ordered a single share (see above) this week. I alternate between family and single. This is my 3rd year with them.

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

I know there is a website for this but can't find it. I did find this and there are 4 listed for NV. There are others states listed as well. You have to scroll down just a bit.

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

I love the CSA model. In the US I had a 'work share', in that I worked off my share value for the year. I think that price was right (-:

I didn't get as many things in my share as I'd hoped, but it was more than we had in our shady garden.

In Germany I bought a share, and we picked up 2x/week. I ended up freezing a LOT of borscht once things really got rolling.

Here in my town in Eastern TN, there is an entreprenuer who sells CSA shares. They are expensive and you don't get a lot. I'm not participating.

I've thought offering CSA shares with the Great Box Plots, but to do that I need to be committed to living somewhere, This isn't it.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I was a member of a CSA. The one I joined didn't work out for me but I really believe in the concept. You are supporting a small local farmer and sharing in the risk in exchange for a share of the harvest. Sometimes there are required volunteer hours and some farmers allow u-pick. My brother lives in Washington D.C. area and is a member of an amazing farm. The price is reasonable, the share large and (before covid) they allowed u-pick of herbs, vegetables, and flowers.

• Grounded
    Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

There are a number of CSAs in the Chicago area. Many have options for: full share, half share, weekly, bi-weekly, delivery, pick-up, etc. You don't always get what you want and some years it doesn't work out the way the farmer hoped and you get what grows. They are a viable option over farmer's markets, so long as you understand, you will get a certain amount of produce every week, or every other week during the entire session. Some people don't know what to do with all the produce.

• Ethereal Earth

What are some of the things that made it not work out?

Is the farm your brother is a member of more established? I feel like more problems would occur with younger farms.