Easy comfortable flooring

ceriridenour
ceriridenour Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

If you spend a lot of time in the kitchen like I do, sometimes it can cause achy joints in your knees and ankles and lower back. I have spent several dollars over the years in search of cushy floor mats. Then I got to thinking, I have seen mechanics shops with those interlocking foam tiles. So, I added up the cost to replace the 4 mats in my kitchen (the extra thick rubber cushion type). It was going to be close to $100. For just $10 more I was able to do my whole kitchen in those tiles and boy what a difference to my back and joints! ( I still have the old mats down because unfortunately I have a cat who loves to scratch on them, why I was looking to replace them in the first place.)

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good idea. Those mats look prettier than I expected. My husband did the same thing in the work bench section of the garage. (My wood floors don't seem to cause me problems in the house.)

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice job. Wouldn't know if you hadn't said.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

@ceriridenour Nice! Where did you find the interlocking foam tiles? They seem perfect for my kitchen.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@ceriridenour what a great solution. The only ones I've seen in Australia are black and have a more visible pattern. Not the nicest looking but we have some that we cart about in our camper trailer, so we don't track grass and dirt into the bed!

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Fabulous idea! They come in a variety of colors here in the States. My daughter has them in bright colors for the grandkids play room!

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

would love to see different pics of the tiles. I do have a question. Do you have to take them all up to sweep and mop?

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

I could see those being comfy, but I find that they usually come with a most powerful odor. I am pretty sensitive to that smell.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you @LaurieLovesLearning for reminding me about odors. Maybe not so good for my kitchen after all.

Our soccer league ordered little spongy soccer people to give to all participants for the season (5,000+). We opened the boxes to count and re-package by team and region. After a little while, we were laughing our heads off. It took us hours to realize we were being gassed.

• ceriridenour
    ceriridenour Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

@frogvalley I purchased mine through Amazon, but you can get them at Home Depot or Lowe's. Walmart.com has them but they are not as pretty, standard shop gray.

@Kim Wilson- No. I sweep as usual. However, I mop the old fashion way on my hands and knees. I spray with a Melaleuca cleaner and wipe. I would not suggest wet mopping because water could seep between and mold.

@LaurieLovesLearning - I am also very sensitive and these had no odor to them. Maybe it was because they are for domestic use (day cares) and not commerical use which would be coated with something to make them oil resistant.