Anti viral herbal medicines

VickiP
VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

In my area people with mild forms Covid-19 are told to self isolate. Most people did/do not receive any medical treatment to help them with their symptoms and most get over it. I have been trying to build up my herbal medicines to ensure we will have what we need for covid19 and the upcoming flu season. I prefer to prevent it rather than treat it, however I did get the flu last season so best to be forearmed. I found this excellent article on herbal anti virals and I already have most of the items mentioned so time to do some lab work! I hope some of you find this as interesting and helpful as I did: https://alchemilla.co/a-practical-guide-to-anti-viral-herbs/?mc_cid=d09acd5e63&mc_eid=1c7878d364

Comments

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@VickiP Great article!! Thanks! I read something that sage works as well cleaning the air. I never thought of sage smudging but this may be helpful in the home to kill viruses esp. the current one.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Looks like we posted the same article. I can delete mine.

• VickiP

OOPs -- I hope I didn't post over you, I did look around and didn't see it.

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

Turmeric is anti-viral as well as lots of other good qualities

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

I recommend Olive Leaf Extract for Epstein-Barr virus, though I have no clue if it would help with coronavirus.

From Ayurveda: Neem, Guduchi, and Tulsi might help, along with a bunch of others, but the Ayurvedic perspective isn't just about attacking viruses but supporting ojas (vital life force) i.e., immunity and part of that involves making sure digestion is strong.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

It's the time of year again where I need to make up a few batches of fire cider. We also do garlic, oregano, ginger, olive leaf and colloidal silver, along with echinacea, Vit C and elderberry to stave off and prevent illnesses.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Thanks for posting the link @VickiP. Very good article. The author is one of our very own Street Team, @sarah121

There is also a TGN blog article on "10 Incredibly Powerful Anti-viral Herbs".

I like to boost immunity to keep virus' at bay. This includes bone broths and adaptogens. Tulsi is an adaptogen but also is considered to have anti-viral properties. The tea tastes wonderful

As it says in the article, some herbs can be pretty specific about the virus' that they are active or preventative against. Lemon Balm seems to have specific anti-viral properties against HSV, while elderberry is more suited to treating flus. So its not a one size fits all for anti-virals.

Big fan of fire cider and onion/garlic honey as preventatives for colds and flus.

• twinspringsnc
    twinspringsnc Posts: 21 ✭✭✭

Elderberry syrup is my favorite go to. This year I have added some astragalus root to it for some overall immunity boost. Fire cider is great too. I keep a bottle on hand all the time

• VickiP

@torey I love fire cider! It is good as a condiment on food too.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

Do need to get my Fire Cider started for the season.

• Torey

@VickiP Yes, a bit of honey and some olive oil and you have a salad dressing.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Good reminder to starting preparing my fire cider so it's ready in case I need it this winter.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent article. I need to get started on preparing some of these

• AN1981
    AN1981 Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing. I agree that prevention is key. Elderberry is our go to during winter or when someone is ill. Lots of citrus and vitamin D too!

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

Thank you for the article. The items listed are very good and ones that we use in addition to some things others have mentioned above like vitamin D.

One thing I would like to add to the discussion is that from the research I have done, there are certain things that regulate processes like those controlling the tight junctions which allow viruses in - including CoVid. Those items that specifically should be minimized if not removed from the diet altogether include the biggies like gluten, sugar and alcohol. There are a few other items that help the virus in as well. Luckily there are things to close the holes so one should research those. Sorry, it's a bit late for me tonight, maybe @torey has a list. Some are those in the above noted article.

• VickiP

So much good information in this thread, thank you everybody for the input!

• Torey

This is a pretty good article about viruses and how to prevent them taking hold in our bodies. Some similar suggestions as the article posted above but with more of an emphasis on gut health and probiotics. https://www.organiclifestylemagazine.com/how-viruses-work-and-how-to-prevent-and-eliminate-them-naturally

@frogvalley is right that we need to stop sugar, alcohol and gluten if we feel we have been exposed or that we are getting sick. Sugar is bad for us at the best of times. Both articles are big on that.

Because Oregon Grape grows prolifically in my area, it is one of my go to herbs. High in berberine it is a great support for the liver. Our livers can be badly affected by viral infections. Berberine will support gut health as well. Great in a throat spray (alone or in a combination) for bacterial throat infections or to help prevent secondary throat infections that can occur with a virus.

Zinc can help prevent viruses from attaching to cells and prevent replication. So foods high in zinc. Oysters & other shellfish, grass-fed beef, pumpkin & squash seeds, cashews & other nuts, beans, mushrooms.

• VickiP

Berberine is also very helpful for blood sugar control. Great herb.