Full Moon Aquarius and Herbalism

andrea745
andrea745 Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Growing Medicinals

I am a yoga teacher, so as I was researching teaching the Aquarius Full Moon Salutation, I came across some references to this being the Herbal Moon. Does anyone have any experience or information on this beyond the fact that this full moon is supposed to super charge the positive effects of herbs?

Comments

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I can't speak to this particular moon but I can say that when I prepare tinctures, etc. on the new moon and decant during full moon they are definitely more potent/powerful.

• erikawinterton
    erikawinterton Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

Alot of the names of the moon come from Native American folk lore and other random naming things. Such as the harvest moon, pink moon, wolf moon ect. This might be the herbal moon for some reason, but I dont think it coincides with being the Aquarius Full moon. Astrology is a totally different system understanding. Aquarius is the air sign, so maybe proliferation of anything you plant. Plus the intensity of the full moon always has its benefits to the natural forces of earth.

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

When we start to dissect what moon is what we forgetis the beauty of it. As @erikawinterton mentions from Native Americans they didnt have a watch. The moon helped them chart what they needed to get done at certain times of the year. I love following what @annbeck62 mentions of prep n decant with the moon. We need to enjoy the simple rhythms of the earth. @andrea745 I love that your teaching yoga. We so need this today. As a student I've gotten so lost in all the long names of yoga poses any chance of simplifying?

• andrea745

You need to check out my way of teaching yoga @kfoto I teach twice a week online and I am not your typical yoga teacher. First of all, I was a school teacher for 20 years and I am 61 years old. I teach in a way that is interesting and accessible to all. In fact, I am part of an international group as an Accessible Yoga Ambassador. If you want more info, you can check out my website. I will even send you a free class to see if you like my way of teaching!!!! https://heavenlanecreations.com Thanks for asking this?

• andrea745

@annbeck62 that is so cool that you notice a difference in your tinctures during full moons. @erikawinterton yes I do tend to compile research from many different traditions, but I think they all offer something to the table, don't you? Thank you for your comments.

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@andrea745 oh I would love to see how your class is. Sounds amazing. So many yoga instructors are on the web now days and it’s hard to find one with passion for the art n student. Ill be heading over. Thanks!!

• andrea745

@kfoto I cant wait to share my passion for teaching with you!

• erikawinterton

I absolutely feel there is a coincidence with all things. And many cultures have their own way to track the moon and cycles. Just as the native Americans did. I just don't know the cultural significance of their meaning (that it if it is in fact a name from cultural origin). So, I am just left with more questions on this one, lol.

• andrea745

Yes @erikawinterton I am continuously learning about ancient wisdom. I cannot get enough of it. I think we need more of it to ground us in today's modern world.

• erikawinterton

Yes, sadly alot of it is buried and hidden. Due to religious oppression. When ruling class outlawed certain practices and ideologies we where left with a fear controlled relationship with the beyond. Ancient wisdom was steeped in natural magic and cosmic understanding. I feel as the individual it gave us greater perspective of being connected to our power and the collective. I am personally working to uncover all I can. Right now I am working with an ancient Peruvian Shaman, who also has several other ancient healing cultures he inhetited. I also study astrology, cosmology, and ancient cultural practices.

What about you what are you into right now?

• andrea745

That is so wonderful @erikawinterton Post more as you learn it please. Namaste, Andrea

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited September 2020

Mod Hat On:

A friendly reminder that astrology, cosmology, the spiritual aspects of shamanism and some ancient cultural practices are, in fact, religious practices. Please be mindful of this as you post moving forward. TGN is not a platform for discussing those aspects.

Sharing the herbal wisdom & planting practices of old without the spiritual/religious aspects are very much welcomed. Much is to be gleaned from that knowledge.

Mod Hat Off.

• andrea745

Thank you very much for explaining this.

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

I'm not familiar with the Aquarius Full Moon Salutation - which yoga lineage is that from?

• erikawinterton

@LaurieLovesLearning I feel it only reasonable to address your comment above. Seeing as it was clearly directed at me with apparent personal emotion.

Just to clear up some things...

First, I would like to say that any part of my personal opinion that may be found subjective, I am happy to remove and be more mondful of in the future.

Secondly, I understand your and possibly TNG's affront to talking spirtual beliefs, religion, and ideologies. I can see your perspective of where the line can be drawn in the sand. Discussions such as this very well can lead to personal injury, legal issues, and poor conversation. I can respect that.

However, the truth is that (talking historically) many ancient practices (inseparable from lifestyle, health, healing, planting ect.) where in fact lost, suppressed, or eradicated all together by ruling classess/forces. (Examples include: native American traditions, catholicism spreading through Europe, Incan lost history, the list goes on).

These ancient practices are indeed not the same as modern Abrihamic based religion practices. They where nature based healing, medicine, lifestyle, and even planting practices. I view them not as religion but more lifestyles, sciences, methods, and practices. We must remember back then there was no separation. I feel to not include these aspects in discussions would be rather archaic, and backwards.

And if I am not wrong, are in fact things that the TNG platform does support. (Maybe this perception is souly based on the recent presentation from the home grown food summit, by Biodynamic source.)

Or maybe it is also that sometimes we see that certain areas of life just bleed together.. similar to how we cant discuss health and wellness without bringing up western medicine vs. Natural medicine practices.

In the end there is a basis of spirituality in all things, especially lifestyle and health.

So, if this is not an acceptable talking point I can respect that rule. At the same time, as a moderator, just to say that it is not a platform for this discussion is rather unfair for the users and the people seeking discussion (noted in this and other conversation threads, including planting by the moon ect.).

So, let's get really clear on where the line is; take responsibility for our own emotions; and all move forward. Yeah?

Thanks.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited March 2023

@erikawinterton This is a difficult charge to respond to and be assured that I am taking my time to be careful in my response. It is much like responding to a political post. Politics can also easily be intertwined with subjects of discussion here & can also lead to misunderstanding, hurt feelings, high emotion & conflict. Dealing with both hot topics is never easy.

I am responding publically as this challenge has been posted publicly.

I would like to respond by first saying that my mod post was not directed at anyone in particular. Secondly, it was certainly not an emotional response. Third, it is difficult to convey a message clearly on any online platform as so much is missing from this type of communication. Fourth, I understand that you (our members in particular) are real people at the other end who need to be addressed with respect. To be transparent, this post that I am presently writing is also not being done out of emotion nor with negative intent. To be a good moderator, emotion always has to be set aside.

I have already given a response to someone who questioned motives in posting this caution. She was gracious in her questioning and did so with respect of person and of my authority that I have been entrusted with here. I respect that very much and I want to publicly thank her for doing so. She also indicated respect for my reasoning and the fact that I am trying to be fair.

I will stand by what was stated in the caution posted, and please know that time & careful thought was put into wording it well, trying to be clear & also to be respectful of all members of this conversation & of this forum.

Now to address the specific concern about spiritual beliefs & plants. They can certainly be separated from the plant & the animal world. That is considered science, which is the study of the natural world and includes observation of natural things and their affect on the little things & the whole. Phenology is one such category in which this interaction & effect be observed and involves no religious aspect. To then add specific spiritual teachings to explain these interactions (for example, astrology) involves a totally different realm. This then falls into the religious beliefs category, which is sometimes classified by various other names depending on what has been attached to them.

As far as herbalism and spirituality, a yogi & a respected teacher whom I greatly respect, does this in some of his teaching. His beliefs are strong, yet he still acknowledges that separation of the two is possible. He understands the science and natural interactions well. For him to separate these aspects makes his knowledge accessible to all beliefs with no barriers. I respect greatly that he is gracious & respectful of all. His name is K.P. Khalsa.

I must say that there are many beliefs on this forum. It is important for me, a moderator, to also be respectful of all, whether I personally agree with the views or not. I expect my fellow moderators to do the same. We do our best to uphold the rules that we have been given the charge of upholding. We realize that not everyone will always be happy either and sometimes we will be disliked or even attacked, unfortunately, but it is our job. We are passionate about having TGN be a safe and calm place, especially in this time of upheaval, for all to visit & learn.

It is also important on a forum, for members to respect the moderators & that their decisions be respected. Not only mine on this forum, but the other mods & admin here as well. We consider many aspects before posting cautions or warnings. No decision is to be made hastily nor without careful consideration and always with respect of the person.

This being said, I would like to ask that respect be given with regard to the caution above. There is no need to repeat what has already been stated in that post. There are many other places online & offline to discuss these particular practices and if people wish to know more about them, it is easy to find out more elsewhere online.