DO YOU EVER WONDER WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE YOU THINKING?!

COWLOVINGIRL
COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Vegetables

Has anyone else wondered what they were thinking when they remember the ginormous amount of food they just planted? I having that right now as I remind myself about the 54 cabbage seedlings I have on my steps. LOL

Comments

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL Hahaha! Do you love sauerkraut? That was my first thought when I saw your number of cabbage seedlings.

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, or else every friend, family member and neighbor is going to be getting a care package from you in a few months.

The most unfortunate part of gardening is the seasonal formula you always hear about. So when you garden you nurse, tend, pray and work with every plant for weeks to months and then they all tend to ripen to harvest all at the same time. Then you stand there and are so proud of yourself because you made it happen.

Now you have 54 heads of cabbage and you wonder what am I supposed to do?

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

@greyfurball yep. When I was a kid, mom had a huge garden. I hated those weeks where too much stuff needed to be canned at the same time.

Of course, we ate off of that garden all winter, so it was a good thing, but there were some looong kitchen days in the heat of summer.

• Sheila
    Sheila Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

Our family has always planted a huge garden for as long as I can I remember and the excess produce - fresh and canned - was distributed to family and friends and neighbours. I still continue the tradition as I have not learned how to not plant everything that actually sprouts lol!

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@COWLOVINGIRL good for you, you'll be the cabbage queen of your town. So nice to share, barter, give back. Well done.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    edited August 2020
  • naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

Every single time! Seems like I over plant and then look at the seeds or seedlings i have left to plant and ask myself where in the world am I going to plant these??? I tend to have the same sentiments about garden space as most people do about money. How much would make me happy? Just a little bit more than I have right now. :)

• COWLOVINGIRL

I totally get it naomi.kohlmeier! Me too!

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL I've heard that you can dehydrate cabbage just like other greens, and even make chips like kale chips. I haven't tried it, though.

I had over 100 kale transplants this spring. I start them in plastic jugs or boxes, then transplant into individual pots. I transplanted them very young because the container was getting too crowded; I didn't expect very many to live. The vast majority did, around 70 went into my garden, and I went around begging everyone to take the rest. Most of the plants were so vigorous that it was a shame to let them die.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 I wonder what the world would be like if the vast majority of people were as caring as that man.

• annebeloncik
    annebeloncik Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

I would love to be able to grow enough to give away a bunch like that! We give a few eggs to a friend in abundant weeks, and I have given her cherry tomatoes too, but I can't get enough of anything else going! I believe we are here to care for each other, and I love seeing how gardeners do it. ❤️

• soeasytocraft
    soeasytocraft Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL thats a lot of kale! Mine was jammin and then came along those nasty white moths that left behind little green worms that quickly became very hungry big worms. Kale now a disaster! Disappointing because I wanted to share with a friend who loves the stuff!

Do you have a problem with those worms?

• COWLOVINGIRL

soeasytocraft I don't right now. Have you tryed diatomaceous Earth?

P.S. am I spelling that right?!

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 a lady in my daughters town does the honor system. I think that’s fabulous. It sounds like you’ve spent time around some beautiful folks. It’s wonderful that the gentleman knew how to grow, shared and those he shared so generously returned his kindness with goods he could also use or give. What a great concept.

@COWLOVINGIRL do you have a root cellar or long term storage area for some, ferment

@Cornelius im thinking it would be a beautiful place to be. There is so much hate, greed, and selfishness today it’s so heartwarming to know these people still exist.

• COWLOVINGIRL

maimover I don't have a root cellar but I do have a basement that stays pretty cool.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

I think I ask myself that question every day @COWLOVINGIRL. In my mind I think "this won't take long at all"...if only my body could really do all that! The simple things aren't always simple. But it is so nice to share with family, friends and neighbors. Giving is so much better than receiving. It doesn't matter if it is excess plants, produce, other food, crocheted items, herbs, there is always someone who can use it. So we just keep plugging on, right lol?

It does a heart good to see so many caring people when all we tend to hear about from the world is negativity.

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Everyone around here seems to plant more than we need. Oddly, we don't all plant the same thing. We exchange food, give food away, put food up, or...