Why Didn’t the Corn Get Pollinated?

Megan Venturella
Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Vegetables

I planted the corn in a solid 4 by 8 block that gets wind. I also went out there and shook the pollen down by hand because I wanted some good corn finally!! But get a load of this...

It’s an insult!!! Lol

Can anyone with more experience tell me where I might have gone wrong? It’s a bit of a disappointment and we still have popcorn growing, so if we can learn some tips and tricks it would be nice to know now. Thanks!

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@Megan Venturella I have no experience growing corn but I am replying to this to put it back to the top of the list so it will get a few more views and maybe an answer. The only thing I can think of is that the silk might not have been developed enough or open enough to accept the pollen or allow it to reach the kernels. But it sounds like you did everything right with regards to pollination.

How disappointing!

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Megan Venturella Does any corn show proper pollination? Maybe one corner of the plot turned out okay? I am wondering if the wind blew away the pollen, and maybe you tried hand pollination after pollen was already gone?

Gardening does have its frustrating side!

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

@torey Thank you!!

@shllnzl Maybe you're right- too much wind too soon perhaps. Not a single ear had more than a couple kernels. I'm going to try again next year. It's too bad, it was a really quick, cold tolerant variety.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Corn is known to be tough to pollinate, but that's the worst ear I've ever seen. I have no idea what caused it.

• Karin
    Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@Megan Venturella that is so disappointing! I think @shllnzl is likely right about the wind. We have had mixed results with corn and it does seem to depend on how windy it has been or what direction the wind is coming from. A little wind is good, too much is not. Hope you have better luck next time!

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

I would feel affronted! All that work for just a few kernels. 😫

i am still waiting for our corn to grow tassels.

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering about ours too. We had tons of rain just as it started to pollinate. I am supposing that could have washed the pollen away as well?