Garlic SEEDS????????????

COWLOVINGIRL
COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Vegetables

I was given some garlic seeds today and they said to plant them right away. I am used to planting bulbs but not seeds. Do I just direct sow them or start indoors? Thanks!

Comments

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

Garlic doesn’t usually grow seeds. Did you get them from a well known place? Planting them would depend on your growing season & climate. I cannot plant garlic bulbs for a few more months. It’s to hot here.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL I am wondering if you got seeds for Garlic Chives.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@COWLOVINGIRL the only "seeds" that garlic produces are little round bulblets, that are produced by the main bulb of garlic. These can be used just like garlic but they are the one's normally planted. This is in reference to hardnecked garlic. What do the ones you were given look like? Maybe a photo.

• COWLOVINGIRL

They look like tiny bulbs of garlic just super tiny and kinda see through. They are about the size of a small pea seed.

• Jannajo
    Jannajo Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I ordered regular bulbs, the best kind for planting, perhaps in October I will do so-last year's r still in the ground, the tops were crushed, I must get them out now? No seeds here!

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

@COWLOVINGIRL If you don't cut the garlic scapes off and let them mature, the plant produces "seeds" at the top. They are somewhat tender and have a tendency to dry out and die. Plant them now. It will take several seasons for them to produce a nice harvestable bulb in my experience

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

my garlic develops seeds and sows them itself, so I always have garlic in my garden without sowing or planting it

• COWLOVINGIRL

I think that's what I have. Do I just plant them now or wait until spring? Thanks!!!