πŸ† the GROW HALF contest πŸ₯¦πŸ₯‘πŸ†πŸ₯•πŸ³πŸ₯—πŸ₯œπŸ—πŸ„πŸ…

Comments

• redtails
    redtails Posts: 2 ✭

we grow veggies, chickens for eggs, cannabis

https://youtu.be/P8ApEU1x0zw

• coletterenae
    coletterenae Posts: 1 ✭

Awesome garden and fun LOL video showing all your hard beautiful work.

• Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

I've not got the ability to do a video, but have a powerpoint. I'm not overly tech savvy and am trying to get some narration onto it. How do I upload it? I don't have a youtube account.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited August 2020

@Alison That is a great question. I almost did PowerPoint, but wanted audio, so that became a non-option for me when I couldn't figure out how to mesh the two. If you could do narration with it, you got me beat.

I will see if I can figure it out. Have you tried either the picture/file/mountain scene icon or the file icon in the comment box to try to upload it?

In the meantime, @Marjory Wildcraft @Jimerson Can you help?

• LaurieLovesLearning

**A reminder that you can vote on more than one video. I am not sure if everyone realizes that, so I thought that its worth mentioning. But, you can only have one vote per video...unless you want to upgrade the vote or (eep!) downgrade your vote, but you can't vote continuously like on the popular singing reality shows (that, I think, is just silly).

If you like more than one video, you can show support by voting for them in one of the three ways mentioned in the OP.

Two days left!

• Alison
    Alison Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

I've managed to get the audio on my powerpoint and zipped the file, I've found that it will try and upload it via the link icon on the comment section but it says the file is too big.

Any suggestions?

It's a quick powerpoint with narration.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Alison That was all I had. πŸ˜• I hoped it would help you.

Hopefully @Marjory Wildcraft or @Jimerson picks up on this soon to help get your presentation up.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

THere is a way to make a video out of a power point. I'm not up on the specifics, but many of tthe presenters at our Summits do it... Hey @Jimerson got any help here?

• maimover
    maimover Posts: 359 ✭✭✭

@Garden Girl love this...

• Jeffrey R.
    Jeffrey R. Posts: 2 ✭
    edited August 2020

why to go!

• goodvibesedu
    goodvibesedu Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

Thank you all so much for this contest and the votes on the video and in your comments. We really enjoyed the opportunity to share and pushing us to make a video. We also enjoyed watching everyone elses to get even more inspiration. So glad we found this group and we look forward to continue learning and growing together!

-Inner City Homesteaders

• siobhanashmole
    siobhanashmole Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

This is such a great idea!! @goodvibesedu was my favourite for being so creative in an urban space and getting kids involved. I also used to run some community gardens on abandoned lots and it's so great.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Hi Everyone! Merin is super busy getting her kids e-learning right now - so a little behind.

Please VOTE and we will announce a winner next week

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 363 ✭✭✭✭

@Meme Grant wonderfulπŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ» You have a gorgeous viewπŸ’•. My ex husband is from the Azores.. Faial and my great grandmother was from the Madeira islands. You have a great thing going!

• mgray11
    mgray11 Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

I've only watched your video once and had your song stuck in my head for days πŸ˜† I'm back to watch/listen again

• Garden Girl
    Garden Girl Posts: 5 ✭✭✭

It's stuck in my head too!!! πŸ˜…

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

Goodness @Garden Girl I'm exhausted from watching your video. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing with us.

• Garden Girl
    Garden Girl Posts: 5 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Hahaha, it's a lot but I'm pretty passionate about gardening and rehabbing the soils and wildlife.

Thanks for watching, @

Good luck with your garden!! @dottile46

• erikawinterton
    erikawinterton Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning your video was great! I also had a difficult time fitting everything in mine. Hense no video! So glad to see you got yours up and running!

P.s. love the duck! Ha ha. They really are so fun.

• erikawinterton

@Garden Girl your video was amazing! I loved the song too! So creative.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@erikawinterton Aw, that's too bad. It would have been great to see what you've done.

That duck is funny. She got nicknamed "Periscope." She was the first one who started doing this, now each will stick their head out if they are curious.

She was pretty shy at first. When she saw me taking a video, she just had to hide.

They will stick their heads out to take a look around, to drink rain water & eat snow or grauple (that snow that's like bitty styrofoam balls), all around the hole's perimeter.

I wanted to put a short video of a fluffy chick swinging by its beak from a large red shoelace (it found a mighty big worm & wasn't sharing!) but the video was nowhere to be found. πŸ™

• erikawinterton

@LaurieLovesLearning that is too bad. I would have loved to see your chick too! Maybe I'll put out a video on youtube and share anyways. Even though the contest deadline is over. :-)

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited August 2020

@erikawinterton Please post a link for us! That sounds great. πŸ˜„

• mgray11
    mgray11 Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning thanks for teaching me e new word! (Grauple).

PS Periscope is an hilarious name for a duck.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited August 2020

@mgray11 It is such an interesting word for such a unique thing. I really like the word. I think it is entertaining.

Periscope came by her name honestly, as you could see. We also used to have a cat named Slinky who, when quite young, was pushed down stairs by an older kitten. It went down head, bum, head, bum. We could hear the sounds it made as it happened, so went to check. One end sounded softer than the other. This happened more than once.

We also had a hen named Lena. She was the last of a small flock that continued to suffocate each other. We found her sitting on top of her last "friend" under a bush. We figured that she couldn't suffocate herself. So, she got a name. Her name came from a phrase one might use when learning a certain sound when studying German. This sound was repeated 3 times in the sentence. It came from a phrase that said (translated), "Lena has nice chicken legs." She had nice clean pink legs. So, she got the name! She was an excellent daily layer of extra large eggs and lived a very long life.

Our animals can get unique names here, but there is always a good/unique story behind each one that earns those.

• IrisB
    IrisB Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

Perhaps that's the real contest: Can you still grow/produce/collect half your food in winter?

You can still grow winter veges like kale, grow others under simple cover and chicken are already laying again. Our neighbour has calves and therefore milk arriving.

It's a warm winter this year - so foraging for dandelions, winter purslane (called miner's lettuce in NZ), chickweed is easy.

This discussion has been closed.