Sadly, New Zealand has COVID again :'(

Karin
Karin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

Our Prime Minister had a late night press conference last night and announced 4 cases of COVID-19 in Auckland. So this means Auckland is going back into Level 3 lockdown as from midday today, and the rest of the country into Level 2, until they find out where the origin is.

We have been 102 days without community transmission of COVID, sadly this has ended, but I think people were getting complacent. This will send a wake-up call for sure!

But what was the first thing people did? Rush out to the supermarket and stock up on TOILET PAPER again!! Just crazy........

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Karin I'm sorry to hear that Covid is there again. I was so hoping that you guys would be able to teach the rest of us something. As far as the toilet paper stockpile -- do you suppose that someone has a secret recipe to eat this stuff if times get rough? A dual purpose product would be good for a stockpile, after all, food only has one purpose. 😁

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@Karin New Zealand

I think New Zealand is doing very well what concerns Covid. It is one of the best organised countries. We do respect the Prime minister very much. A very clever and wise woman.

• Karin

@shllnzl luckily the government is proactive and we are testing like crazy and trying to track the origin - it must be from a case that came into the country and was in quarantine and somehow there must have been contact. Hopefully if it can be tracked, we will be able to go back down to normal sooner rather than later.

As for toilet paper - you have to wonder!!!! :P

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Bugger! You guys are the shining beacon on how to best deal with corona. Anyway no mucking about like our dithering mob in Australia, no you deal with it, no we are state and territory, you deal with it, no I'm just the Prime Minister! Karin is NZ, 2 islands, 1 law and no states. So therefore less layers of govt? Because if that is the case then there is no blame game between state and federal govt and Jacinda Ardern gets to lead like a leader should, from the front.

• Karin

@jodienancarrow yes I think one of the good things is less government layers, as you say. But also we are all pulling together (mostly) and the government was proactive in supporting workers too. Unsure what their plans are yet - I think they don't even know yet till they can track the origin. Fingers crossed that happens soon.

People are going absolutely crazy at supermarkets - already many are sold out and closed!!! Absolutely nuts, as they would be staying open even in Level 4 - what are people thinking :(

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

That's the thing Karin, people don't think. It's a shame that when the pressures on, some people revert to selfishness on a huge scale. Every country has them, very disappointing. Did NZ introduce a covid tracking app?

• Karin

@jodienancarrow yes we have an app but a lot of people didn't use it. I think they will have to now

• IrisB
    IrisB Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

@Karin I very, very much do hope that New Zealanders do not have to use this app now. I do believe in freedom of choice. These 4 cases in Auckland would not have been prevented by the app. So it is perfectly fine to give people the choice to do their own tracking. I use a paper diary and it works perfectly well. I don't need a big tech brother watching me.

• Karin

The app stores the info on your phone and deletes it after 31 days. You only give the info to the Ministry of Health if you test positive, so they can contact your contacts. If you don't test positive, the app just deletes the info. Big brother gets far more info from your use of eftpos or even just internet or smartphone use, than from this app.