Does chlorine or chloramine kill the beneficial microbes

Some people say it doesn't make a difference, whereas others say it kills good microbes so use a hose filter that removes chlorine and chloramine.

Anyone know about this?

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I know it is not recommended for use in compost tea. Chlorine will gas off, so it probably isn't as big of an issue for watering plants. But chloramine won't. It is readily absorbed into the skin though, which is a little scary.

• Debra
    Debra Posts: 7

Thank you!

• AdrienneHew
    AdrienneHew Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

In Korean Natural Farming, we are taught to offgas water for 24 hours before using it, when rain isn't available. That said, I get rain about 10 days/year. I'm struggling to keep my soil happy in many parts of my property. It's a bit of a nightmare as I'm trying to start a plant business, but can't get things to cooperate. LOL.

Despite the fact that I resort to municipal water most of the year (I collect some water in buckets where the sprinkler is set to go off to water some of my starts and allow it to offgas), I definitely see the microbes in the soil even though some of the lower parts of the property are mainly given hose water directly. Tried filters, but they really slowed down water coming out, then broke!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I second exactly what @judsoncarroll4 says. Chloramine is scary stuff.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭

As far as I know it kills them all. I try to avoid it.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would expect either chloramine or chlorine in sufficient concentration to kill almost any microorganism.

The advantage of chlorine is that you can let it sit in the open air to outgas. The disadvantage is that chlorine dissolved in water is that it is not stable over long times and distances. Water treatment systems that cover large areas with many miles of pipe generally use chloramines, which have to be chemically neutralized, as they won't outgas.

Urban areas are more likely than rural ones to use chloramines.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums @Debra! Be careful letting chlorine off gas as it produces toxic fumes (such as chloroform (this also happens every time you shower)) (so do it in a well ventilated area (not showering lol (do that in the bathroom 🤣))).