Beauty in Nature: Speechless

Comments

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

That is gorgeous! @silvertipgrizz do you know what kind of butterfly or moth that is? I've never seen one quite like that. Also, what kind of flower is that lovely purple specimen?

• Suburban Pioneer
    Suburban Pioneer Posts: 339 ✭✭✭

Simply gorgeous!! Worth pausing over, Thank you for brightening my day!

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Lovely! Despite these challenging times, the natural world offers us grounding and inspiration.

• Grounded
    Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Beautiful, the contrast in vibrant colors is inspiring.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@naomi.kohlmeier I don't know and I haven't had time to read the article yet. I just know as soon as the newsletter was in my email and I saw that oh so beautiful plant / or /herb..don't know which yet, and the extra gorgeous ...butterfly? moth? I just had to share it.. you can sign up for their newsletter if you want and their website, which I just found a couple days ago is very good, esp for what I was looking for when I found it..... the growth habit of veg's mostly because so many of the companies that sell seed seem to leave important info out, like days to harvest... germination days to...and so on... When I or if I find out I'll check back here and post it for you and everyone..

• GardenMama
    GardenMama Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Absolutely amazing. Definitely gave me a moment to pause that I really needed today

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

So stunning!! Purple and the black and white, very awe inspiring! August is so bittersweet, summer is still hanging on, but autumn starting to creep in!

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, amazing! We saw butterflies like that at the Canadian Museum of Nature in Ottawa, but I forget what they were called.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

@silvertipgrizz I found this. The caterpillar is beautiful as well as the adult butterfly!

Zebra Longwing Butterfly - Heliconius charitonius

The Zebra Longwing butterfly is unique in that it is able to feed on a flowers pollen as well as the nectar, this is an excellent source of protein and scientists attribute their long life span to this fact.

The designated Florida state butterfly, the Zebra longwing has long, narrow wings with distinctive black and pale yellow stripes, it flies in a slow graceful manner.

Found throughout Florida, being most abundant in South Florida. It is relatively long lived among butterflies having a life span of several months as compared to weeks for most butterfly species. 

Zebra longwing begins laying eggs shortly after emerging from the chrysalis and will lay from 5 to 15 pinhead sized eggs on Passion vines, the larval host plant for this beautiful butterfly. Larvae absorb toxins from the vine, giving adults an unpleasant taste to predators. 

Zebra longwing butterflies are fairly common throughout Florida and is most abundant in South Florida hardwood hammocks and thickets, they will often group together in a quiet spot.