Not the best last few weeks

vickeym
vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Encouragement

Have to say the last few weeks have been pretty rough.

my father-in-law has been in bad health but has gone downhill very quickly. My husband had to head to Arizona, his father is in very bad shape. Unfortunately, because of all our critters I was not able to go with him.

As of yesterday, they have given his dad maybe 72 hours. But there is a very small chance he might live a little longer. My brother-in-law was supposed to arrive the day after my husband did. When my husband got there he found out his brother would not be coming right away. He was in the hospital in Texas because he had just had a heart attack. Had to have two stints put in.

Then this past Friday I tripped and fell and smashed my knee pretty good. But thankfully nothing is broken, it is badly bruised from mid shin to just above the knee and almost 3/4 of the way around.

Then on Sunday, my best friend got her foot tangled up on something and broke her toe so badly that it even ripped the toe open.

At this rate we may not survive till 2020 is over.

Comments

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear about your father in law, your brother, your friend and your knee. Praying for all of you as well as your husband.

I've seen a lot of crazy posts on facebook about 2020 likening it to a barbed wire hula hoop as well as many other crazy things. It seems to be bad for everyone.

I hope things start looking up for you and your family & friends.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I'll say a prayer for y'all

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Sorry for your struggles @vickeym! Do you have arnica for your knee? It would probably help with your friends toe as well. Homeopathically. I wish there was something that easy to suggest for the rest of your family but all I can say is you have people here on TGN who are thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way.

• Megan Venturella
    Megan Venturella Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

That really is rough. I’m so sorry. I don’t know why it all happens at once sometimes. Hang in there. It gets better too, it just doesn’t feel like it while you’re in it. I’ll say a prayer for you as well.

• vickeym

Thank you all for your support and kind words. and Yes, torey I do have arnica and have been using it. My friend is not using anything other than a triple antibiotic for now. She has an appointment with a podiatrist as she will be needing surgery to fix the damage. Guess I just needed a place I could vent a little.

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

"Barbed wire hula hoop" sounds just about right for my last several weeks. It seems we haven't been able to clean up from and recover from one small or large disaster before the next disaster happens. Luckily, no family members or close friends have died. I have noticed that many of my friends, family, and acquaintances have all had their share of challenges. I am thinking that it is a result of the stresses that we are all going through at this time.

I do have a question of opinions: My mother-in-law (with her perpetual cheery attitude) always calls and asks how I am. If I say that I am "OK", she then comments, "OK"? "Just OK"? This happens most every time I talk to her, and, quite frankly, I don't know how to answer her. I do know that I don't feel comfortable with either sharing my difficult challenges with her or outright lying. I do know that she always wants me to tell her that I feel "fantastic" whether I really feel that way or not. Any suggestions?

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

@vickeym ☹ I don't know what to say. I am so sorry to hear of your circumstances. I will pray for you as well, if you don't mind. If you need to talk to someone privately, know that my pm is always open to any member that needs a listening ear. That includes you.

@KimWilson I would say to keep it general...perhaps say that you are struggling just as many people are due to the stresses of what is going on in the country/world at the moment. Let her know that you have a good support system (many here will support you remotely, at least!) & that she doesn't have to worry...then change the subject to asking how she is doing or something of that sort. You don't have to give up anything personal.

We too, have been going through the strangest & super complicated personal challenges within our family. Some that will certainly have lasting consequences, and that is a scary thought for us...it is like the whole situation is made up and really can't be the reality we are witnessing...yet we know it is super real. It has been extremely difficult to say the least. Today, I felt fully drained of everything...to the depth of my being. I have trouble sleeping due to these things and it keeps me in the no energy zone. It is a difficult time with no end in sight, which makes it the most difficult thing I have ever experienced. I hope things change, but I don't see that forthcoming.

I always like to try to see the good, the positive. But, right now that is hard.

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Thanks for your comments. I am sending support to you and the very best of energies. It occurs to me that collectively, these times are providing us with valuable insights into the characters of ourselves. Hopefully we will come out of it all exhausted but also enriched????? At least I can hope for some such blessings.

• vickeym

My thoughts and prayers to all of you as well. We are all struggling as many of you have shared. It is great to belong to a group who are open to sharing like this and who care and support (even remotely) each other through the stresses, trials and tribulations we are all dealing with.

I pray thing will return to "normal" soon and we can all laugh about this time somewhere in the future. Unfortunately, I do not believe what had been normal will ever return. And that we will be dealing with these stresses and many more in the future.

• Deb113
    Deb113 Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

Prayers to you and your family. 2020 will be one for the history books, and the sooner the better.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not really sure that things will return to "normal" as we knew it. We may end up have a new definition of normal, at least in my opinion. Best that we can do is be here for each other and try to give as much support and encouragement as we can. Try to make someone's day a little brighter.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

I'm so sorry to hear about this vickeym! I hope things get better! 

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

I hope things get better for you and your loved ones soon!

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

@vickeym I hope that you and your loved ones start doing better soon! You can get through this!

• Grounded
    Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear that you and yours are suffering. I pray that things turn around for everyone. Know that you are not alone in all this chaos.

• vickeym

You all have been so kind. I had to let you know, My Father-in-law passed during the night last night. It was good that he passed in his sleep and that my mother-in-law was also asleep. My husband was the first one up and found him this morning.

Thank you all for allowing me to vent here and share my roller coaster of emotions here.

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Sending virtual hugs your way.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vickeym My condolences and prayers for your family.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@vickeym Im sorry for your loss. You are not alone in all these struggles. I’m praying all the planets start lining up and making sense!!

My step daughter lost her baby a few weeks ago and we have all been barely staying above water in our sorrows. COVID restrictions made it so she had to go through the whole process alone with a strange nurse beside her. My husband‘s friend died of alcoholism last week, my close friends’ 23 year old son committed suicide on Thursday and now we are waiting to hear about my husbands aunt who is currently in “comfort care” for her last hours on earth. All the while I’m contemplating leaving my most treasured job because a co-worker is so awful that I can’t stand to be there any more.

Life will never stop reminding us how precious every moment truly is.

• vickeym
    edited August 2020

Thank you all. Your prayers are truly appreciated. @herbantherapy sounds like you have had more than your share of problems. I will be praying for you and yours.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin
    edited August 2020

@vickeym It is good that that stress is over. Now the family can take time to properly grieve and heal. It is always hard to know the right thing to say in these circumstances.

@herbantherapy I can't imagine the heartache with so much happening all at once. Each tragedy is hard enough on its own.

My husband and I were just talking about our (young) best man who passed 18 years ago in a bad traffic accident. He looked it up in an online paper. That was hard for him to reminisce. They were like brothers.

I am glad that we can comfort one another here to some extent. We have a beautiful community of very caring people on the forum, for which I am personally grateful. If I can make a difference in one person's life...if you can too...it makes living worthwhile.

Thank you, each one, for being here.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

@vickeym @herbantherapy I'm so sorry for all of the heart wrenching experiences that you are going through. So lovely that there are such empathetic, sympathetic and blessed souls here to offer words, prayers and love. Please add mine to theirs for you both, you families and friends.

• valizona
    valizona Posts: 48 ✭✭✭

condolences and prayers for you guys. Such. a Difficult. Time.

You have support and good thoughts coming your way from a lot of folks here. Glad you had this community to vent.

For those of you struggling with how to process life stuff these days, May I encourage you to use good quality essential oils for emotional/ hormonal balance, immunity support, digestive support. Most (not all, like herbs)Therapeutic grade essential oils can be taken inernally, so make sure.

for anxiety: lavender, lemon are time-tested. There's lots of others.

for depression: citrus, peppermint, lemongrass

There's soo very much more but this can get one started.