Economic impact of pandemic for city governments
This analysis looks at the sources of income for various cities and predicts which ones will experience budget distress. "The coronavirus recession will erode city budgets in many insidious ways." And it cuts across political parties.
"What matters more in this pandemic moment is how a city generates money: Those highly dependent on tourism, on direct state aid or on volatile sales taxes will hurt the most. Cities like Boston, which rely heavily on the most stable revenue, property taxes, are in the strongest position — for now."
I personally think that the economic effects have only just begun. What are you seeing in your area?
This Week's Leaders
- 606 All Categories
- 21 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 25 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 196 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 375 Current Events & Breaking News
- 995 Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.1K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 400 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 28 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 273 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 291 The Homestead: DIY
- 835 Personal Journals
- 74 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter