Insulin Resistance/Metabolic Syndrome - you probably have it!

judsoncarroll4
judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
edited October 2020 in General Health

Over on the discussion group we have where I've been posting class notes for the Southwest School of Botanical Medicine course, I've just posted a WHOLE LOT about this subject. What really surprised me is that this is so prevalent. For instance, Type 2 Diabetes increased 40% in America between 1990 and 1999.... but 80% of people with insulin resistance never become diabetic. That means, if you are reading this, you probably have insulin resistance... and that is the cause of 50% of heart disease, stroke and cancer, and most obesity. It isn't a matter of just eating too much sugar, not getting enough exercise or being sedentary... it is also stress, lack of sleep, lack of chromium, eating the wrong fats and not enough protein.

So ...

1) I wanted to put out an alert saying that everyone should probably read my last 2 (and next 5) posts on that topic: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/844249/free-huge-and-comprehensive-herbal-medicine-course#latest

2) Lets discuss some solutions here.

3) Be sure to do the Grow Network Certification on getting off of sugar

4) If you have not yet, definitely read the Weston A. Price Cookbook, "Nourishing traditions" https://archive.org/details/NourishingTraditions

Diet, Exercise, Supplements and Sleep can reverse this condition... as of now, modern medicine can do nothing more than manage it with very expensive drugs, only postponing organ failure.

Comments

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, @judsoncarroll4 lifestyle issues are vital for health and metabolic syndrome. Reducing stress, moving, eating well, sleeping well--they are all side effects of gardening. I keep telling my husband that if everyone only used a small part of their lawn for gardening, the world would be a much healthier and happier place. And your post is proof of that.

• judsoncarroll4

I actually have no issues with insulin resistance - I eat a largely wild or home grown diet of meat and veggies. But, it is an epidemic and I agree, that folks like us are likely the ones with the answers in terms of life style. I did find the info on HGH very interesting though and I am implementing short, high intensity, intentional bursts (4-6 minutes) of exercise every few hours, so that I can stay a lean, muscular, 200 lbs at 6'4" into my 40s and beyond.

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing this very important information. I just implemented a 7/7/7 throughout my day.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

This is indeed a major cause of the illnesses you listed @judsoncarroll4 . It has been building in earnest. The widening gap in wealth in this country plays a big role in it. People who can barely afford to buy any food must buy the cheapest things they know. That stuff is nothing more than deadly crap. Here most of us know ways to eat healthy and cheaply. We help manage our stress with gardening, which in turn can provide us more healthy food to eat. I'm really hoping that the lesson many are learning thanks to COVID is how to live an overall healthier lifestyle. The more we can do to educate the masses on these things the better off everyone (minus the big corporations that rely on keeping the poor even poorer) will be. Even if we just help out one neighbor, friend or family member we are still doing our part. I'm happy to see that there are many sources of information available on the usage of herbs and other alternative health practices. There are also a few fruit loops thrown in the mix but that is unavoidable. As someone has said, we must BE the change we wish to see in others. (Sorry, I would tell you who said it if I could remember it lol.)

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@judsoncarroll4 Thanks for posting this here as well as on the SWSBM page. It is such an important subject, it deserves its own thread. It truly is an epidemic.

I have been preaching (harping) about this to my clients for a long time. Sugar is such an insidious addiction. I'm on that list of addicts. too. Although I eat very little in the way of sweet stuff, I just love my dark chocolate treats. But bitter is a preferred choice most of the time.

I think, getting off the processed food wagon would be one of the best places to start. Avoid things in packages as much as possible. Slow Foods are more nutritious and if you like cooking, it is a great stress reliever. The Conquering Sugar course will assist with avoiding those packaged foods, give you other choices and has lots of tips to help with the sugar cravings. .

Start taking bitters. They will improve digestion (possibly helping with weight loss) and will eventually be a preferred taste over sugar. This is such an easy thing to add to your diet. There are many recipes out there so it is easy to find one to suit your taste buds. Probably something not too bitter to start. Did you know coffee is a bitter? But not loaded with cream & sugar. If you are a coffee drinker, go black!

@judsoncarroll4 mentioned in the other post about eating grass fed livestock or wild game as a good source of Omega 3s as well as fish. We eat grass fed bison, pastured chickens, pork and lamb and try to get as much fatty cold water fish in our diet as funds will allow. (Wow, the price of salmon has risen dramatically in the last few weeks). I use a fish oil supplement but only when I am under stress and am not eating properly. So supplements do have their place.

Lifestyles are so hard for people to change. Small things at first help. Don't try to do it all at once or you may become discouraged. As in, don't start a diet, get a gym membership, buy a ton of supplements and give up sugar all at once. Bring in changes more slowly and they will be easier to maintain. If you change your diet adequately, you may not need supplements. If you exercise more, you may sleep better. Some people may, however, be at a point where drastic changes are necessary to be able to avoid drugs or other medical treatment.

Work at this, people! It may seem like a struggle but keep at it!

It is so worth it in the quality, extended life span that we get to spend with our loves ones.

• judsoncarroll4

Dark chocolate is my weakness, too. Other than that, I really don't have much of a sweet tooth. My first batch of bitters just became ready this week - wow, waaaay stronger than store bought! I used oregon grape root, gentian root, orange peels, cinnamon, star anise, clove and ginger. The next batch will be dandelion and burdock root with juniper berries. I noticed an improvement in my asthma right away - it stopped flaring up after eating. Seems the bitters increase gastric juices which digest proteins more quickly and stop them from triggering allergic response.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Sounds like an excellent blend. Even though orange peels are classed as a bitter, they add just enough sweetness to make it palatable for those new to bitters. Similarly for the cinnamon and star anise. What was the alcohol you used as a base? I like to use brandy. The second one you are going to try should be very good at eliminating as well as improving digestion.

So many wonderful blends! I am getting my order of strawberries on Friday and have a recipe for Strawberry Vinegar bitters. Because it is a vinegar, it can be used like a shrub to flavour water or club soda. Looking forward to trying that one. The Mandarin and Douglas Fir Bitters in Rosalee's Wild Remedies book is also a good one. Never would have though to include evergreens in bitters so I am grateful she introduced me to that.

So everybody get on the bitters program. Such an easy thing to do in your path to get off sugar and reduce your insulin resistance.

Didn't mention fibre. Fibre is one of your best friends when dealing with metabolic syndrome. Fibrous foods tend to make you feel full sooner so you will eat less. Fibre assists with proper elimination. Soluble fibre helps with your cardiovascular system, reducing cholesterol and arterial placque. But if your body is unaccustomed to fibre, start slowly. Too much fibre all at once could cause gas, bloating or constipation. I know, 25 grams of fibre sounds like a lot but spread out over the course of the day its not that difficult to do . One 1/2 cup serving of chia seed pudding (so delicious) has 7.5 grams of fibre. Add a cup of raspberries and that's another 8 grams. 1 cup of baked beans has 10 grams of fibre. So there is 25 grams in 3 items.

Keep at it everyone! Lets reduce this epidemic!

• judsoncarroll4

I used vodka. I think I will use brandy next time when I do the same mix - it would likely taste better with the spices. I'll use vodka with the dandelion, burdock and juniper though, because the main aromatic is the juniper and I like gin in small amounts.

The strawberry on sounds very good! I'm considering doing one with the white part of rose petals. I've found the "pine wine" I did back in March to be anti-inflammatory.

Yes, soluble fiber, definitely! Given my diet, I don't lack fiber, but the average diet certainly does.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Good for you @judsoncarroll4! They say short bursts of exercise throughout the day are the way to go. I am unable to do aerobic exercise, but just try to keep moving and building strength and working on my health. Who knows, someday I may be able to do high intensity exercise again! :)

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

I am wondering about Berberine. I will check out the other discussions that were mentioned.

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

"The Bean Protocol isn't a diet; it's a protocol developed by Karen Hurd that helps the liver detox and heal from a range of ailments, including infertility, inflammation, digestive issues, diabetes, autoimmune diseases, and more.

It consists of eating soup beans and or lentils 3-6x a day for a minimum of three months and much longer for people with long-term illnesses and diseases."

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Be aware that Type 1 diabetes, normally discovered in childhood, is also on the rise among adults. It is now an up and coming autoimmune disease.

It takes a lot of work and insulin to make up for a body part (pancreas) that no longer functions. There is no lifestyle cure for this one.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I changed the way I eat 9 years ago and seem to change more to green leafy lately (I grew those). I have been eating almost no beef and because of allergies have cut out whole food groups. However, I am just now bringing some of the foods back for a test run. I do appreciate the thread of this discussion and it was certainly interesting to read. i have also been interested in some of the documentaries that are available to watch regarding these various topics.

• Angel
    Angel Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

I had gestational diabetes 3 times, so I have been careful with my diet for years. One thing that is really, really, simple but has helped me is to take an evening walk. It sounds too easy, and it won't fix everything, but it really does help keep blood sugar levels steady.