Sewing

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

I was just never sure what to look for for the proper filler. It seems like so many things have fancy names, I didn't know what was best.

To sew the hot pads would be a breeze, it is just that I don't want to go to the bother to have thin ones that burn my hands after a couple of uses or something melts.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am also confused by references to interfacing or fillers.

• LaurieLovesLearning

What I meant by fancy names is most likely referring to either what the synthetic is or a name for a particular, probably trademarked fill. I am simple...give me what works for the hot pads, won't melt or off gas (so, safety) and is widely available.

I have had issues with pillow stuffing in the past. I like form pillows that can be washed. I absolutely despise the scratchy polyester fill that sneaks scratchy fibres out through seams &/or the cloth itself. If I put my head on it or it is something cuddly like a sock monkey, that is just not acceptable.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning This is the fill mentioned in the tutorial.

Maybe this helps a little more.

• HearthForYou
    HearthForYou Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

It's been a while since I've sewn anything substantial. I had one sewing class in 7th grade that taught the basics. We made a bag. I took off from there following patterns.

I've had a few items where the zippers need replacing - one of them is a wrap around the waist cloth "purse" that I love. Is there an easy way to replace zippers. It's easy enough putting them in when you're starting from scratch, but replacing them seems like too much of a pain.

• HearthForYou
    HearthForYou Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

It's a good idea to offer sewing skills and/or projects. I'd be curious about spinning wool and weaving if that happens to be something you can offer as well.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insulbright is very good for 'insulating'... easy to work with and very warm in your quilts, window quilts, etc..

I used to get it at Joannes fabrics but I don't know if they still carry it..

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

I remember my Grandmother's potholders. When someone's jeans wore out to the point of no repair she cut them in squares and sewed multiple layers together. They worked great! Not sure sewing machines are made that tough anymore lol.

• Denisha Cole
    Denisha Cole Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

Yes, I would. I would like to learn basic sewing techniques.

• thelinda
    thelinda Posts: 21 ✭✭

I too had a 7th grade sewing class. We made a skirt. Might have been the last time I wore a skirt. I need help making clothes, putting in zippers, replacing broken zippers.

I've been teaching myself to quilt and am progressing okay... My projects getting larger and larger as I get better (working on a queen-sized quilt) but I could really use help. I have books and patterns but I often do not understand what they are telling me to do.

As others have mentioned, clothing sold in most stores does not fit well and the fabric is often very poor quality. At fabric stores, the fabric there is often low quality. And expensive! I have made purchases online and usually found some decent fabric but it is expensive. You get what you pay for I guess. If anyone knows of a place to buy fabric for clothes (not quilts) other than JoAnns and Wal-Mart, let me know. Oh, and I'd like denim fabric without spandex added. Real denim. And advice on how to sew with heavier fabrics, like denim.

• Frankenschuetz
    Frankenschuetz Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

I would absolutely love to learn how to sew! I inherited my mom's sewing machine that she received for her wedding in the late 60s. It is like a big tank and quite intimidating!

• Nancy Carter
    Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

Please start with what supplies are needed and what are not needed but enjoyable to have! I would like to learn the basics. The basics to me are how to set up a machine or how to sew properly by hand! I would love to make a table cloth with napkins for my families meals. Also some ideas or hints on how to chose proper fabric like for example curtains vs a dress or fabric for accent pillows for my outdoor seating area that would be durable! I would like to learn how to make a pattern! How to get my kids involved in this creative process would be fun to learn as well. Thank you!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@Frankenschuetz Welcome go TGN's forum! I hope that you enjoy learning alongside us!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to sew a lot. Mostly clothes, but everything was pick a pattern and get as close as you can to a size that would fit. I would love to learn how to make custom, durable clothes and patterns. Or have patterns for some basic style clothes and learn to make the adjustments to make them actually fit. I am definitely not built average. Finding clothes that actually fit me properly is a 1 in a million chance.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

Many are asking about sewing denim. It does take a heavy duty machine and needles that are set up for denim. I am fortunate enough that my mom purchased an old treadle pedal machine, that don’t take electricity, and taught me some stuff. I recently also purchased my own treadle peddle machine to be able to sew denim, however it did not come with then string to make it work. Once I get that I will be able to take old jeans I have saved over the years and make several items.

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning no it was just denim, but it was the old thick kind, not the thin stuff they sell now lol.

• Sherry Clark
    Sherry Clark Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

I want to learn to make comfortable pants for garden work. I need an elastic or draw string waist with large pockets. Also, I have lots of fabric scraps. I enjoy recycling scraps into small gift items.

• erikawinterton
    erikawinterton Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

I have been contemplating this alot. I would love to learn how to make a nice apron, sewing machine cover, and hats! I would actually love to learn how to design and make my own clothing too. So I will definitely be checking out your blog.

• siobhanashmole
    siobhanashmole Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

I love sewing and have made some good money from it doing little purses or garden items.

I have a random request, I would like a focus on kids and babies. I have a niece coming in the winter and have been pintresting all sorts of cool 'baby grow bags', activity mats, hooded towels etc but find baby stuff really expensive! Besides which I would love to make from organic hemp & bamboo.

I grew up in a lot of home sewn cloths and my parents saved a bunch on us cause we grew out of things quickly so I think it would suit home stead families.

Otherwise the other thing I would like to know is industrial large scale shelter sewing. How to sew a yurt a tent, a gazebo etc. That could be really fun but I have no concept of how to scale up.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

I also had a swing class in 7th grade. We did a couple of projects. Mine were an apron and a skirt. We also leaned on treadle machines. (It was that long ago). Ever since, I have wanted to get one in case the power goes out, which it does fairly frequently in my neighborhood. Found one for a reasonable price once at a garage sale several years ago, but there was no way I could get it in my little car. My mom had an electric sewing machine, so I made many projects on that. She traded that one in for a newer machine (with zigzag stitches) which I still have and use.

• gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

@siobhanashmole I love the idea of learning to sew a tent or yurt!

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I learned basics from my parents and a middle school home ec class. I always carry around a little kit and the biggest thing I made was a pillow in the shape of a boxing glove. I mainly do repairs, like on marching band uniforms when I was in high school and emergency surgery on a friends stuffed animal from her boyfriend (for those of you wondering it was a success). I would love to learn more as I really only know how to sew everything by hand (I used a machine once that had been set up by my teacher).

• timtonya
    timtonya Posts: 1

I would love ideas of what to make with used items like towels or sheets or bedspreads. I keep all fabric that looks reusable, even clothing I don’t wear anymore just because I love the fabric.

Sharing patters would also be nice and pattern using lessons, like how to.

Thank you, Tonya

• RachelWrites
    RachelWrites Posts: 20 ✭✭✭

@Ruth Ann Reyes Yes! I would be interested in learning to sew. I'm most interested in functional clothing or altering second-hand clothing to fit nicely, but would also be happy with quilting or whatever you find fulfilling and practical.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

I really want to learn how to quilt as well!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

This year I finally got around to using the fabric I purchased 10 years ago. I stored it in a paper bag and it was like brand new. I used some of it to make masks for the women in the family and the other as a trial burrito style pillowcase. I purchased some new material for my two great granddaughters and made them pillow cases. I made them burrito style and had to relearn how to make them. I also purchased some fabric that frayed a little so I learned to sew a French seam. I am also making camouflage pillow cases for my two great grandsons who have birthdays coming up. The premie is much to young to get a pillowcase now.

Now that I have shown people how fancy they look one of my friends decided to give me a denim miniskirt to replace a very small zipper. Zippers are wonderful but I really don't care to work with them especially when they have a placket.

I finally read a sewing book this summer and it helped me remember some of the things I had forgotten about like basting. Sewing is great to learn because now I am interested in recycling some of my clothes into other garments. Basic sewing is what I need.

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I used to sew. Now, I am outside more than in. Thank you for bringing sewing back to the forefront of my mind! With cooler weather coming, though exterior projects pend, the time inside could be spent creating with cloth!

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Speaking of sewing, here is a free 10 day sewing course I took a couple months ago that really changed my perspective on sewing! I hope you guys like it too!