White Egg Yolks

frogvalley
frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Cooking

My husband cooks breakfast on weekends. I'm not going to lie, he cooks our breakfast every day. Heck, he cooks all of our meals. Anyway, this particular morning he came in (breakfast in bed) and gave me a plate with three eggs and a funny look on his face.

He said that one of the eggs had a white yolk and wasn't sure what that meant, so he cooked an extra one just in case I didn't think I should eat the white one. Neither of us had ever seen a white yolk. We had raised chickens for years when the kids were growing up and had seen all colors of shells, HHHHUUUGGGEEE eggs/yolks, double yolkers and even one without a yolk BUT never one with a white yolk.

I didn't know what to think and didn't have my computer on to research the bizarre blob to give me enough fortitude to try even a tiny nibble. Yep, left it on my plate after the perfunctory slicing and poking. The dog enjoyed it. I just couldn't get past the sick look of it.

According to the world wide web, egg yolks CAN be white. It has to do with what they eat. Chickens that eat sorghum or white corn can produce eggs with white yolks due to the lack of pigmentation. Supposedly, in some places they only have white yolks and yellow are considered odd.

Has anybody else experienced this with organic pastured raised chicken eggs from a store? I'm anxious to find out.

Comments