Ginkgo leaves for house medicine

Every autumn I collect yellow Ginkgo leaves (Ginkgo biloba) for herbal teas. I collect the yellow leaves, because somebody told me that yellow leaves contain less of Ginkgolic acids, which in high doses can cause headaches or damage stomach...

I have been searching Internet for more information on usage of ginkgo leaves and I read that one should collect green leaves. That Ginkgolic Acid does dissolves, but not much in water. Thus, one can make herbal teas, if one drinks them not permanently and not in huge amounts.

Usually I use Ginkgo leaves (yellow ones) for herbal teas. I have also made tincture, but have not used it so far.

Many articles note that one should not experiment with ginkgo oneself. One should buy extracts in whatever form.

Do you use Ginkgo leaves as house medicine for better memory, concentration... and if you do, how do you use them?

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

@jolanta.wittib What are the reasons given for not experimenting with them? I am curious.

I have made a tincture, and followed Rosemary's recipe to do so.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@jolanta.wittib I use ginkgo as a tincture. It doesn't grow in my area so not familiar with harvesting it. I purchase my tincture from a reputable supplier. I don't take nearly the recommended dose which I think is too high. I take 1 ml whenever I remember in the mornings. I find it has been helping with my memory and helping with stress.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

@jolanta.wittib I have always heard that one should use yellow leaves as well. I will see if I can find the sources where I read that.

There were many gingko trees at my daughter's college. I used to bug her to collect leaves for me, but she always came up with some excuse like "studying" or "attending class". Sigh...😄

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@LaurieLovesLearning @torey Thank you for your encouragement to use the tincture. As we say here “the quantity turns a herb into poison” . There are so many herbs which have something not very suitable for us, but the positive qualities outweigh the negative. And the negative ones can be reduced to zero with the right usage.

• jowitt.europe

@Gail H oh, please, do share when you find the source.

I grow my Ginkgo tree in the garden. It is already eight years old. At first I kept it in the pot and in winter in the winter garden. Our winters can be quite hard - down to minus 10-15 C. Since about 5 years it is in the garden. I planted the tree in my flower and herb bed and it survives nicely and gives me a good crop of leaves every year.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

I've not taken gingko before but as luck would have it, just read an article from Nick Polizzi on a recipe for a brain boosting tea. The photos were of green leaves. Tea recipe, 1 tblsp gingko leaves, 1 tblsp tulsi, 1 tblsp lemon balm. Mix with 3 cups water and boil on stove top. When done, add teasp honey, slice each of ginger and lemon. Let steep a couple mins. Strain and enjoy. I have a friend in New Zealand that is a gingko fan and she forages green leaves. Hope this helps.

• I'll be following this; I've always wanted a ginkgo tree both for the medicinal qualities and because I've read they are a stunning tree.

• jowitt.europe

@jodienancarrow I have also seen recipes with green leaves, thus I started wondering whether there is a difference in the quality of green or yellow leaves. May be one has to try out both and try to figure out whether one feels a difference. Thank you for the recipe!

• jowitt.europe

@seeker.nancy - Central Texas Yes! Beautiful and stunning tree! A very special tree!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

This is a link to a very short video by Susun Weed on Ginkgo. The sound isn't very good. But she talks about using both the yellow and green leaves in tincture and then combining them.

http://www.wisewomanmentor.com/videos-members/9207425