Fires in the Western U.S.

herbantherapy
herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Other News

How is everyone fairing in light of Fires??

I have multiple fires to the North, South and East of me. I’m only 1/2 mile off the ocean. All of my places of safety would be on the other side of these fires. The skies have been dark orange and eerie all day, the air thick with smoke. The wind gusting at 25 mph after 80 mph winds last night that caused many trees to come down closing off evacuation routes, power outages and limited internet access.

So far I have only lost upper branches of my Staghorn sumac and my cable/WiFi is out...but my phone access is still working and I have not lost power. Though my entire garden looks dry and coated in ash.

My in-laws are split up...half evacuating safely the other half stayed behind with the farm and animals. They are prepared to herd the sheep, cattle and dogs to an irrigated field with a creek. They will let the chicken loose and hope for the best if it comes that.

Comments

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

The smoke started rolling in this morning, but it isn’t bad here yet. The windstorm two nights ago knocked out power all over eastern Washington. Ours came back a couple hours ago, but I am sure there are still folk without. There were a couple near us earlier in the season but fortunately they were both under control within a few hours.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

Please stay safe. Keep us updated as well.

I think that what some of my poultry friends in BC a few years ago said they would spray paint the backs of chickens with a certain color & put phone numbers or owner's names on the larger animals.

I think they agreed that putting phone numbers on chickens wouldn't work. Putting one number on each of the chickens (because that was all that would fit) just wouldn't suffice.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

I am praying for rain for those affected by these fires! Please stay safe!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@herbantherapy If you are losing branches off trees, shouldn't you be evacuating? These pics look pretty serious. I am saying this through experience. We had very bad fire seasons in 2017 & 2018. Your fires escalate and travel much quicker than what our fires do (different terrain, forests and wind conditions). Do you have proper masks? N95s at the very least. Oxygen deprivation can become a real danger when the smoke is this thick. Please take care of yourself!

To everyone who is experiencing fires right now, my thoughts are with you. Please stay safe everyone. Don't take chances. Possessions can all be replaced but lives cannot.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I am glad to hear you are safe. I have been following these fires and wondering if anyone on here was affected. What a terrible thing. Stay strong.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

In British Columbia here, we are counting our blessings that so far no fires really near us. Skies are only a bit smokey this year although other years the amount of smoke actually cut our solar gain through our panels by a considerable amount and we also think the garden did worse from lack of sun that year.

It's gotten so that our favourite season is winter - it wasn't before this - because of the forest fire dangers in the summers.

We feel for all who have lost homes, animals, health from the fires. Hope you stay safe @herbantherapy

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@herbantherapy I agree that you should evacuate. We have been experiencing heavy smoke even though we are hundreds of miles away.

For anyone staying home: Note that heavy smoke WILL kill birds. Irrigating the field(s) now may help prevent the fire spread. All flammables should be removed from near the home. Check out www.nfpa.org for information.

Good luck and stay safe.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@herbantherapy like you the Willamette Valley has been inundated with heavy smoke. We lost power on Tuesday night because a transformer blew up. East of me the wind gusts were in the 60MPH range. There are several fires to the east of us and in fact to the NE they evacuated Level 3 Marcola (about 30 minutes away) and to the east even the far end of town they evacuated (Level 3). I live in town near the west side and downtown and is fine except for the smoke and extremely poor air quality. We have very low humidity, and much more calm winds today. The outside is very smoky and so is the inside (not so bad today though). I used my cloth mask and sunglasses yesterday and turned on the lights on my car which seemed very strange.

I have lived in the Willamette Valley most of my life and I have never seen it this bad. No rain for 3 months coupled with east winds and smoky conditions. Stay safe and stay inside if possible!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

So glad no lives were lost in Malden. The fires in California are getting so much attention that we are not hearing as much about the fires in other states. At least on Canadian news broadcasts. Southern BC has some fires at the moment but, thankfully, this year, nothing like what you are experiencing south of the border.

Don't wait until the last minute or for the evacuation order, to get packed up. Do it now!

Some great preparedness tips have been posted at: https://community.thegrownetwork.com/discussion/844914/in-light-of-the-hurricanes-and-tornadoes#latest

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

Oh my. Saying a prayer for you. Please stay safe! 🙏

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@herbantherapy we are hearing about the California wild fires here in Australia. Please stay safe and secure and implement your fire safety plan. Let us know how you get on, all the best.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

@herbantherapy Please stay safe! So far in San Diego county we have not been hit as hard as those of you north of us but we are starting to see some smoke and we have what looks to be a marine layer which according to the news is mostly smoke that the winds are bring. I also heard on the news at lunchtime that the Santa Ana winds are not going to be as bad as predicted and I hope that is try for all near the fires! If you have to get out do so sooner rather than to late!

To all near the fires please Stay Safe!

• My sister was evacuated from Mohawk Valley by Marcola OR....Some relatives lost their home in Blue River and near VIda. We is Central Oregon haven't even had much smoke....which is different. IT is usually us who are burning and the west side of the mountains in ORegon that is green...

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Please add my prayers to yours for all those affected by the fires. I can't begin to understand the enormity of the devastation.

• Lisa K

@MartiinCentral Oregon So sorry to hear about your sister and other relatives, my prayers are with them all! Stay safe!

• My thoughts and prayers are with all of you affected by these terrible wildfires. My daughter has been showing me different pictures people have posted online and it is unimaginable. 😥❤️

• Ethereal Earth
    Ethereal Earth Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

That is so scary. I hope it stays away from you and your family.

We have had smoke here for the past few days with high winds and haze. You can smell the smoke on the wind.

• herbantherapy

Thank you everyone for your positive thoughts and prayers!!!

The fires near me are either out or contained. There are more fires raging in the Willamette valley but the winds shifted last night and the fog rolled in filling the air with 90% humidity. The air quality is still considered hazardous and we are keeping shut in at home and running a/c through new filters.

Yesterday the upper portion of my county was evacuated to a site only a couple of miles from my home so I took comfort in that figuring if they were deemed safe there then I was safe. Today the sky is a mix of fog and smoke but the air feels lighter and less threatening.

This photo was taken by a local 2 days ago at Sunset. Eerie!

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my. We started the year praying for Australia, and now it seems like nearly all my friends in Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Utah, and Colorado have been in danger from fire this past few weeks. It just boggles the mind to think about the amount of forest that has burned this year. So many homes lost, and now I'm seeing an increase in lives lost.

If I'd stayed in Idaho, I'd be too close for comfort to at least 2 different fires. They move so very fast. I have been praying for rain for everyone who needs it.

Stay safe, and evacuate sooner rather than later. Fire is a shifty enemy.

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Be safe. It just "burns me up" that some of these fires in Oregon were apparently set intentionally. 😡

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

This picture is beautiful, and haunting all at once. I've been praying for the people facing this hardship right now in the West. My family lives in Washington State.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited September 2020

@herbantherapy How are you & your family doing? I very much hope you can check in here.

I don't have satellite anymore to easily see coverage, so now I have to get it only from online sources.

I read some horrific stories already. :( I can't imagine.

We are now seeing the smoke in our skies. I thought it was just odd looking fall/winter clouds. I thought something was off, and now I know why. :(

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Although the nearest fire is only a few miles away, here in eastern central British Columbia, the smoke that has engulfed us the past two days is from south of the border. OMG. Can't imagine the devastation down south. As it is, we are wearing our masks whenever outside and come into the house through a room that can be divided from the rest of the house and vented whenever we open the door. Then purify the air as much as possible. As little new air inside as we can.

No solar gain these days - we're off grid.

• Lisa K

One of the most insane fires was the one in Riverside that was set during a Gender Reveal party!

• Lisa K

Ugh I just read that some of the fires in Portland were started by one person who was arrested and let go!

• LaurieLovesLearning

:( And I keep hearing (up here anyway) the cause is climate change.

Personally, I think it is usually irresponsible people. Whether accidental or purposeful fire starting, it sounds as though the real cause is very simple & clear.

• herbantherapy

It seems there were several different causes between all the different fires. Yesterday it rained and last night it poured. Friends near and far are reporting clear skies. Very grateful for this!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@herbantherapy I am so glad that you are doing okay. Hurray for rain!

• NarjissMomOf3
    NarjissMomOf3 Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

stay safe everyone

• Lisa K

We are truly having a strange winter, here we are in the middle of winter and on Wednesday 1/20/21 a brush fire just west of my dad’s house broke out and due to strong Santa Ana winds my dad got a mandatory evacuation call from the local Police

So I went over and finally got him to the Evacuation Center (he insisted on finishing dinner first) around 3 pm at our local Mall. When we arrived there were two Police Officers that were checking us in and one Red Cross person who was walking around to see if anyone needed someone. The Police did keep us updated on what was going on and all looked good until about 5:15 pm when we were told the clean up was still going on and worst case scenario was another hour to an hour & a half.

Also by the time of the last announcement eight more Red Cross people showed up finally with water and snacks but by that time dad & I both had to go to the bathroom and I was getting hungry. So we left and went back to his house, we figured that since the winds were still coming from the east and had died down he was OK, in fact he got a Clear to Return call at 8:30 pm. 

We are expecting rain Saturday, Monday-Tuesday and Thursday so now they are concerned about mud slides – La Nina definitely brings strange weather with her!

At the same time there was a much larger fire in Rancho San Diego that threaten homes the one by my dad was much smaller.