Vertical gardening

Nancy Carter
Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Garden Design

I am trying to grow more vegetables in a smaller amount of space. I am thinking of creating a vertical wall of some sort. Nothing too deep but deep enough for good growth. I would like to place this in front of my front porch to provide some privacy but also want to allow sunlight on my porch. I will probably make this over the winter months and use it in the spring. Does anyone have any suggestions for this? Pictures would be great too! Thanks

Comments

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

I have three-pot planters that I use for vertical gardening; one thing that I should have done in the warmer south was to put reservoirs underneath them to retain water longer.

The vertical systems I have seen commercially have a water flow system that goes into reservoirs so that the plants are bottom-watered and gravity fed. A solar pump could recycle any extra water back up to the top.

For the frugal among us, Some people have taken pallets and put them up vertically and then fitted the growing pots (long and thin, like balcony containers) into them with the hosing for the water behind the pallet. Sometimes the Habitat for Humanity stores have things that can be used for this. There's also freecycle for sourcing materials.

• Nancy Carter

@Ferg thank you! I am definitely interested in being frugal!! Great ideas!

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking about planting the pea seeds nearest to the wall (it is stucco and the pea vines should adhere to the stucco. Does anyone know if this is possible? (vertical gardening)

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@dipat2005 Im not sure the peas would climb stucco without help. Maybe a string system would work for that purpose?

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@Nancy Carter Im planning something similar. I’m making a rain gutter planter to hang at the end of my porch for privacy. I plan to plant peas and nasturtium. It will look something like this:

• Nancy Carter

@herbantherapy I love it!!! Its perfect!!

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

There was a restaurant where I live that had a beautiful living wall. It was indoors but they successfully grew all the salad greens for the restaurant. I don't have any pictures and sadly the health department decided it wasn't sanitary and they had to disassemble it but if you google living wall you may get some ideas of what is possible on your porch.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@herbantherapy Thank you the string is a good idea.

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

@herbantherapy that is a beautiful setup!