Favorite Season or Seasons

Lisa K
Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Summer time is usually the time when hot weather vegetables and fruits thrive, but to me it also the time when it can be too hot to work outside except early morning/later in the afternoon plus I find it harder to keep the plants watered since I do not have an irrigation system on a timer. So to me summer is my least favorite time in the garden, winter is also a time when little growing takes place but I can get some things done since we do not get snow I can still do some gardening and start in my mini-greenhouse for a second round of cool weather vegetables, it is also when we get most of our rain.  I love fall it is when I can do more of the heavy work, trimming trees, build raised-beds, heavy duty weeding, etc. plus I love fall vegetables! I also love spring, it is when my fruit trees and flowers start to wake up plus I can still start a third batch of cool weather vegetables. Do you have a favorite season and why?

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love fall the best! I like the chill in the air, the way the trees turn and go dormant, the migrating geese overhead, hunting season, sitting on the couch with the dog and cat snuggled up in a blanket with a book and a cup of tea, hot chocolate, hot tea, soup, stews, casseroles...

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

My favorite season is usually the one that is just around the corner!

• Lisa K

@Mary Linda Bittle I agree I love fall too! My favorite fall days are sunny with big white fluffy clouds and a cool breeze! As a gardener I also love spring.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

My favorite season is the one I am currently in, be it spring, summer, fall or winter. When I was young it was always fall. I did not like spring, but now I love them all equally.

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

I am a summer girl all the way! Yes, it is hot during the middle of the day, but that only encourages me to get up early to feel the cool outside and survey all of the bounty that is growing everywhere. The only thing that could make my summer even better is to live near the ocean.

• dottile46
    dottile46 Posts: 437 ✭✭✭

I find fall to be very invigorating. The cooler weather, smells of brown leaves, wood smoke on the air, the colors of leaves giving their last hooray before falling to the ground, a cup of hot tea or coffee, a flannel shirt open in front over a t-shirt, sitting on the deck looking over the orchard, yard, and garden beds, wondering what the next growing season will bring.

I like spring too but it doesn't give me the same charge fall does.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I'm gonna have to say fall too. I think there must be something truly beautiful about death- maybe that's what fall teaches us. It sure is beautiful when trees die. I'm just sayin'. Fall feels hopeful. Maybe Yeshua (Jesus) will come back in fall😉.

Summer- especially late summer seems to fry my brain. Like I can't organize my thoughts or feelings very well, or get as much done as I think I can. I don't know- it's weird😵. Probably cause it's the equivalent of being in an oven for two months straight. Who's brain would function after that.

Winter is cool cause I like to wear long sleeves and my Docs. Also there's plenty of time to read and study.

Spring is like heaven because I'm a hard core forager so when things start to wake up and I'm coming out of "study" hibernation a whole new level of foraging starts. I see last years favorites and I get to feast my eyes on what YHWH is leading me to this new season.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

I love to let my hair down on a blustery fall day and lit the wind blow through it!

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I love spring! Life bursts forward in vivid colour! It gives me the reassurance that life goes on, as trees and plants sport blossom and bloom. The days grow longer and warmer. Everything and everyone seem to move to a new beat, filled with hope.

• Lisa K

Today felt like a Fall morning, unfortunately it was due to the smoke but the morning is getting me excited for Fall.

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

I love Autumn. But not Autumn in Southern Appalachia. This is basically Summer part 2. Autumn as in New England Autumn. Icelandic Autumn. German Autumn.

I also love Winter. I love snowshoeing, and haven't been able to do that for literally decades - no snow! or not enough. Sigh.

I deal with Summer because I like to grow my own food. I'm a giant oxymoron to most people - the agricultural scientist who is THE poster child for heat stroke. Because of that, I grow on my own terms and in the smartest way for me! In my outside gardens I grow smart, not big; I work in the early morning and evening; I utilize polyculture and biontensive methods. My research work tends to focus on lab and greenhouse methods (but man, what we can do with a polytunnel! it's amazing!).

Spring is really a nice time as well; the birds start to come back and the green comes back; perfect for tea and working on the <shaded> patio.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

They are all special but if I had to give a gold medal it would be spring. Days getting longer, deciduous trees breaking bud, more rainfall, veggie garden springing to life, fire flies, lavender blooming, grass growing, lots of australian natives blooming. Most grateful.

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

I love them all in some way, but I would say spring and autumn are my favorites. I just like the feel of them both. And the break in heat or cold is always such as relief.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

It's hard to pick a favorite, but I think spring overall. I have lots of garden plans then. It's wonderful to get outside more and see the garden come alive- if we've had a few good snows first. I always feel slightly cheated if winter ends without that.

Actually, when it first turns really cold in the winter I don't like it, but usually by January I'm used to it. There something really invigorating about taking a jog when it's 17 degrees (F!) outside. Walks in the snow in the moonlight are otherworldly.

Winter used to be my favorite season, and I completely disliked summer, but somewhere along the way my cold/heat tolerance shifted, and my appreciation for summer produce greatly increased. It's still not a favorite- the garden needs lots of attention then, but I no longer feel like doing it because the heat takes away all my energy. So, I get behind on my gardening until the end-of-summer-panic kicks in. Still, fresh garden tomatoes and farmstands go a long ways to endear a season to you.

I always liked fall.

• Lisa K

I love the cool mornings in Fall which is finally happening!

• Lisa K

Even though I started this post back in 2020, I still marvel every spring what flowers come up and this year is no different -

This is one of three Azaleas I have in the front yard, but it is the only one that has two flowers on the same bush.

Here are two different kinds of Lavenders I have in my front yard.

• Lisa K

More wonderful signs of spring - First two pictures are of one of my Fuchsias, third picture is my first Gardenia and the fourth picture is of one of my many roses that have started to flower. 

• Kuri and Kona
    Kuri and Kona Posts: 177 ✭✭✭

Fall and spring are both favorites. There is something about crisp fall air that I love. I also love a lot of the fall foods here, such as chestnuts. Spring is the time of the blooming of flowers and cherry blossom trees, but my favorite part about it is it not being winter. Cold weather is my great nemesis. Summer is hot and brings mosquitoes, but I have an easier time cooling down than warming up.

• Lisa K

@Kuri and Kona same here as far as weather, but for me it is much easier to warm up than cool down (I experienced that last night when we hit 95 degrees and my bedroom is upstairs which did not cool down until early this morning).

• Kuri and Kona

@Lisa K Oh, wow. You already hit 95 degrees? May I ask what zone you are in? My guess was 12 or 13. 😃

• Lisa K

@Kuri and Kona So. California 9-10, this is not normal and for the rest of the week is going to be in the 60's which is below normal ... this definitely makes gardening interesting!

• Lisa K

Also, more signs of spring in my backyard this time, the picture below is of my flowering Citrus Scented Geranium and my flowering Peppermint Scented Geranium along with one of my tallest rose bush and white Camelia in the background. 

• Kuri and Kona

@Lisa K The citrus scented geranium, and the peppermint scented geranium both sound amazing! I have a rose scented geranium myself, but will keep an eye out for the varieties that you mentioned.

• Lisa K

@Kuri and Kona I also have rose along with Lemon and I used to have nutmeg and Lime. There was a time when I collected any of them, I could find and had a local nursery that carried them.

• Kuri and Kona

@Lisa K Supposedly I have forbidden myself from buying any more plants for a while, but your lists make me want to go out and buy scented geraniums. I didn`t realize that there were so many varieties.

• Lisa K

@Kuri and Kona I love them and they can be used in cooking, in fact I once made a Roe geranium custard which was tasty.

About the only one you can find around here is the Citronella other than that the rest of mine are over 30 years old or cuttings from the original plants.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@Lisa K Love, love the pictures! Thanks for sharing!!

• Lisa K
  • Lisa K

While cutting back my Chocolate-Peppermint geranium I discovered that my Rose geranium is doing really well.

The first picture is of my Rose geranium and the second is the Rose geranium (smaller leaves) on the top and the CP geranium (larger leaves) on the bottom.