Dog and Cat food Recipes

silvertipgrizz
silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2022 in Other News

Admin edit: This thread was an old recall thread that contained additional timeless & useful information, specifically DIY pet food, as the discussion progressed.

Instead of deleting the whole old thread, the posts about the old recall have been removed to clear out now irrelevant clutter, but the valuable information remains. The title of this discussion has also now been updated to reflect this change.

Comments

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

@OhiohillsLouise at one point, I made all of my pet's food. Made or purchased from a local farmer. Cats are obligate carnivores, so it's not difficult. Had all my recipes looked over by a holistic practicioner, since at the time I was new to it.

Hoping at some point I will get back to that!

• Ferg

We've got an FIV+ cat as well, @Desiree - well, my ex has him now; he's a RUssian Blue and he's doing really well. Such a sweet cat. He must be about 8 now.

I started making homemade food for one of my animals as well, in my case my LongTime companian kitty. He was getting old and picky and arthritis was really bothering him. I froze batches, pressure canned batches, it was nice. We kept it up for the other kitties as they were all old by then; I even used the autoclave at work in Germany to make food for my World Traveling Kitty. For cats, you just have to make sure they get their taurine; liver is an excellent source. I also did the raw thing for the non-FIV+ kitties.

You're a good furr-baby Mama!

• Ferg

@Cornelius - dog food is easier than kitty food, because of the taurine thing. I never made dog food, so I don't have recipes handy (most of my books are in storage). But here's one recipe from a holistic vet :

I like the integrative vets when I can find them; at the moment, the vet I used is just as good even though she isn't technically part of this organization. If you are interested, here's a link:

https://www.ahvma.org/

• Ferg

here is the most-cats-liked recipe. I don't use grain anymore, but if your cat needs to put on weight it might not be bad to add brown rice or oatmeal. I put the yogurt in after it's cooled a bit to avoid killing the good stuff.

• Ferg

here is a joint support type

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

@Ferg What is mullein olive oil? Is it olive oil infused with mullein leaves?

• Ferg

@Melissa Swartz Yes, sorry. Mullein oil is olive oil infused with mullein leaves, or flowers, or both.

• Ferg

@dimck421 all i can say to that is 'ewwwww', but there's no 'ewwwwww' button to push. Thankfully I've never seen that.

Oddly, probably the healthiest food for our pets is to take some freshly killed small animals and throw them in a blender.